Monday press conference scheduled to address future of Sun Life Stadium | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Monday press conference scheduled to address future of Sun Life Stadium

I think the location complaints are stupid. The dolphins use the facility ten times a year mostly weekends. Navigating the workday isn't a problem so putting it on prime real estate is a waste of money. Football is more tailgate centric than any other sport so you want empty land for parking. The neighborhood has no impact on fan experience.

As for the name I'll take Guggenheim stadium. Maybe they can auction it to Loria

switch to FieldTurf? a retractable roof? a semi-dome? questions, questions…

I like the idea of FieldTurf. It'll keep the field from looking like crap during the summer Miami storms and it'll trap the heat on the field making it blazing hot during the SEP/OCT home games. Not digging a retractable roof unless there's some agreement that it's used (the roof being closed) for non Dolphin events only.

Miami will most likely still lose bids. Even with these so called upgrades because the stadium is becoming obsolete. I don't understand why Miami had to put up ugly canopies to host a Super Bowl yet open door stadiums like the giants stadium gets a bid no problem.

They get a bid because they sank a billion and a half into their stadium and the NFL likes to reward cities/owners that go to that expense. It's not like NY/NJ is suddenly going to become part of a SB rotation, unless the game is such a phenomenal success that very few care about the weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Bowls are are NOT awarded to Stadiums, they are made to cities/communities, and they are not awarded solely on the condition/comparison between the stadiums. Other factors are almost as important, and those other factors together are MORE important. The city, hotels, weather, venues for ancillary events, tourist attractions, city image, ect, ect.....

Exactly, which is one of the prime reasons Jacksonville most likely won't be seeing another SB come it's way for a long time.

I wonder how many times Ross' cell phone will go off during the presser...

Weather is no longer a factor. New York hosts 2014 and Goodell is talking about wanting one in Denver. Footbal was made to be played in the elements and he knows that.

Weather is a factor, it's just not an overriding one. If the NY/NJ SB is a huge success, you'll probably see another colder weather city or two get Super Bowls in the future. But the vast majority of Super Bowls will still get played in warm weather sites.

I don't think the next stadium should have more than 60k seats. I agree that the stadium should be located in Biscayne Bay.

The NFL has said it prefers its Super Bowl stadiums to have a capacity of at least 70k, although there is the occasional exception. Since Miami is a natural place for a Super Bowl, there's no way any stadium built there will house that little.

Waste of time and money "upgrading" that dump known as Sun Life Stadium. San Francisco (Santa Clara) will win the bid for Super Bowl L and then Miami will lose the bid again the following year to Houston. Ross needs a new stadium. Which isn't happening for a loooong time.

My feeling is that the NFL would prefer to give SB L to Miami, especially if upgrades can be made. For it's golden anniversary I think the NFL would be more inclined to give it to familiar surroundings and a location that they know can do a good job hosting the game and all the other ancillary activities.

The idea that every new stadium automatically gets put at the top of the line for the next open Super Bowl is faulty, IMO. They will reward Santa Clara with a SB, if not 50 then I'd fully expect them to beat out Houston for 51.

From what I understand, the team is going to be asking for some public funding to renovate the stadium, with Ross putting in a bunch as well. IF a deal gets done, the stadium's life would be extended by around 25 years.

However, Marlins owner Luria (perhaps the BIGGEST ASS in the history of sport) has made that next to impossible with the public funding he got. People and politicians are FUMING over what this FRAKIN JERK has done here.

To be fair, Ross and the Dolphins do deserve some help based on their history, as well as bringing a lot of money into South Fla with Super Bowls over the years. Just don't see it happening for some time because of Luria.

To finish my vent on THE BIGGEST ASS IN SPORTS HISTORY, he just told his GM that he cannot do a a radio show, and is prohibited from having any interviews. He is a very HATED man here, and deservedly so. If he fracks up the Doplhins, the hate will grow.

Anyone want to chip in for some tar and feathers on his way out of town?

Almost forgot, this ASS is also FRAKIN up stadium renovations for my Canes, and their fans, as well as the Orange Bowl. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

My feeling is that the NFL would prefer to give SB L to Miami, especially if upgrades can be made. For it's golden anniversary I think the NFL would be more inclined to give it to familiar surroundings and a location that they know can do a good job hosting the game and all the other ancillary activities.

The idea that every new stadium automatically gets put at the top of the line for the next open Super Bowl is faulty, IMO. They will reward Santa Clara with a SB, if not 50 then I'd fully expect them to beat out Houston for 51.

Yeah that's the way its been happening the past decade. Get a new stadium and it seems to guarantee a Super Bowl bid within 5 years.

MetLife Stadium opened in 2010, will host Super Bowl in 2014
Cowboys Stadium opened in 2009, hosted Super Bowl in 2010
Lucas Oil Stadium opened in 2008, hosted Super Bowl in 2012
University of Phoenix Stadium opened in 2006, hosted Super Bowl in 2008
Reliant Stadium opened in 2002, hosted Super Bowl in 2004
Ford Field opened in 2002, hosted Super Bowl in 2005

No doubt as soon as Atlanta, Minnesota, San Francisco, and San Diego get their new stadiums, they'll be hosting a Super Bowl soon after.

Yeah that's the way its been happening the past decade. Get a new stadium and it seems to guarantee a Super Bowl bid within 5 years.

MetLife Stadium opened in 2010, will host Super Bowl in 2014
Cowboys Stadium opened in 2009, hosted Super Bowl in 2010
Lucas Oil Stadium opened in 2008, hosted Super Bowl in 2012
University of Phoenix Stadium opened in 2006, hosted Super Bowl in 2008
Reliant Stadium opened in 2002, hosted Super Bowl in 2004
Ford Field opened in 2002, hosted Super Bowl in 2005

No doubt as soon as Atlanta, Minnesota, San Francisco, and San Diego get their new stadiums, they'll be hosting a Super Bowl soon after.

Precisely. The only way miami can become a preferred destination is a brand new stadium located between Miami and Miami beach. Fill in a section of the bay to create the space. As I stated before, Ross is a billionaire. He has friends with influence and other investors. They need to think bigger. A state of the art 75K football stadium, championship golf course (think PGA) , shopping, and another muti purpose venue for tennis and other court sports create, passive parks, marina space, restaurants..you get the idea create the destination with the scenic beauty already built in. It can be done.

Back
Top Bottom