Monday press conference scheduled to address future of Sun Life Stadium | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Monday press conference scheduled to address future of Sun Life Stadium

The problem with Sun Life stadium is the location as well as the multi purpose design of the facility. It is located in the ghetto.

A new, state of the art football only stadium that seats 75K should be built along Biscayne bay near the AAA center.

They can create the land by filling in a section of the bay off of 195. Ross can afford it and it would be situated between the city and Miami Beach.

The details can be worked out later...lol

That would be awesome. But I'm sure the Dolphins will just continue to go the "let's put lipstick on a pig" route though.

No different then sitting through a winter storm in New York. Its all about money and the city that bids the highest will be hosting.

Having the game up there is stupid as well

Why build a new stadium? So we can fill half of a cutting edge stadium?

Why build a new stadium? So we can fill half of a cutting edge stadium?

Celebrity owners, carpet, change the fight song, upgrade the stadium... It seems they want to do everything they can to make money except fixing the team...

In Barry Jackson's column today an unnamed Dolphin official says the upgrades will make it like a new stadium and delay any need for a new stadium for 25-30 years.

That's the caliber of thought you're dealing with in this regime. It seeps to every decision. I've emphasized that on various sites for years. We've got a lifeless stadium in a terrible location yet they are determined to take the lazy cheap vision-free route time and again.

You might get one pity Super Bowl then you're dumped to the pile again, behind increasingly swanky venues. Thanks to the poster who listed the new venues and how quickly they are rewarded with Super Bowls. I was going to mention that, but minus the date specifics. If you've ever been to those stadiums there's no need to ask why. Truly spectacular.

I love Luria. The Marlins mean nothing to me. But if he plays any role in preventing worthless further patchwork to Sun Life Stadium, he becomes one of the great men in South Florida history, a visionary without realizing it or intending it. Admittedly, I'm particularly disgusted because 25-30 years takes it to the end of my lifespan, if I'm lucky. Most of the rest of you would see another stadium, unless there's ongoing idiocy to patch and patch again.

I experienced the rollicking Orange Bowl in my youth and early adulthood. To follow that with a generic dump for 50+ years would be like a parody, a cruel joke, seemingly worthy of suing someone.

I like many aspects of now, and no doubt going forward, but I appreciate my time frame more and more. My tastes certainly were more in touch to long gone decades -- run oriented physical football, simple classy uniforms, serve and volley tennis, pivot dominated basketball, bizarre '60s comedies, and stadiums with a soul.

As much as a new stadium would bring more excitement for this team, aside from winning games, it won't happen. The Marlins built a new stadium, and sucked, then basically traded everyone away. I can bet you the next 5 years or so, that stadium is going to sit there 70% empty during baseball season. That alone screwed over any chance the Dolphins have of getting a new stadium unless they pay for it themselves. You need to have some sort of winning franchise with a legit following, win or lose, before you build a new stadium. The Marlins had no following, they got a new stadium and still couldn't sell out a game, and now they will go right back to their horrible attendance figures. The Dolphins have an un-loyal fanbase at the moment, and building a new stadium with a bad team will bring about one year of excitement before people realize they are paying to watch a ****ty team, which people in Miami don't do. I personally hate the location of Sun Life Stadium, but other than that, a few upgrades would make it a great place to watch a game. Just get some shade on the seats, update the lighting, and get a winning team...and no one will care about the location of the stadium.

In Barry Jackson's column today an unnamed Dolphin official says the upgrades will make it like a new stadium and delay any need for a new stadium for 25-30 years.

That's the caliber of thought you're dealing with in this regime. It seeps to every decision. I've emphasized that on various sites for years. We've got a lifeless stadium in a terrible location yet they are determined to take the lazy cheap vision-free route time and again.

You might get one pity Super Bowl then you're dumped to the pile again, behind increasingly swanky venues. Thanks to the poster who listed the new venues and how quickly they are rewarded with Super Bowls. I was going to mention that, but minus the date specifics. If you've ever been to those stadiums there's no need to ask why. Truly spectacular.

I love Luria. The Marlins mean nothing to me. But if he plays any role in preventing worthless further patchwork to Sun Life Stadium, he becomes one of the great men in South Florida history, a visionary without realizing it or intending it. Admittedly, I'm particularly disgusted because 25-30 years takes it to the end of my lifespan, if I'm lucky. Most of the rest of you would see another stadium, unless there's ongoing idiocy to patch and patch again.

I experienced the rollicking Orange Bowl in my youth and early adulthood. To follow that with a generic dump for 50+ years would be like a parody, a cruel joke, seemingly worthy of suing someone.

I like many aspects of now, and no doubt going forward, but I appreciate my time frame more and more. My tastes certainly were more in touch to long gone decades -- run oriented physical football, simple classy uniforms, serve and volley tennis, pivot dominated basketball, bizarre '60s comedies, and stadiums with a soul.

Exactly man. All this money going on upgrading the stadium still doesn't put Miami on par with all these state of the art stadiums popping up all over the league. Which basically means it's wasted money. Money that could be going towards a new stadium. I never thought the baseball team would get a brand new stadium before the football team.

Having the game up there is stupid as well

I don't think it's stupid to have a Super Bowl in NY/NJ. But I think it is idiotic that Roger Goodell said Miami was becoming an obsolete option for hosting future Super Bowls because of a little ran in that Bears/Colts game. I'm sure a SB in NY/NJ will have more weather issues than rain.

I'm sure its all prearranged, the city will give money for upgrades contingent on superbowl promises. Just one superbowl is probably worth at least $50 million in spinoff revenues to the city.

Why would they give any money?
The Supoerbowl has much less economic impact on south Florida than let's day NY, Indianapolis or Detroit. Who wants to go up there in winter time? We already have tourism so besides some extra people going to the game we don't have much of an impact. For Ross, having the Superbowl here is an ego thing. The last time Ross wanted a roof the counties and cities shut him down already. Reason: economic impact does not justify the cost.

Ross wants to do ugrades: pay for them. I am sick and tired of billionaire owners always looking for hand outs. The average small business owner has to pay for their own expansion.

Why would they give any money?
The Supoerbowl has much less economic impact on south Florida than let's day NY, Indianapolis or Detroit. Who wants to go up there in winter time? We already have tourism so besides some extra people going to the game we don't have much of an impact. For Ross, having the Superbowl here is an ego thing. The last time Ross wanted a roof the counties and cities shut him down already. Reason: economic impact does not justify the cost.

Ross wants to do ugrades: pay for them. I am sick and tired of billionaire owners always looking for hand outs. The average small business owner has to pay for their own expansion.

yea welfare for billionaires

You people are negative about everything. Good God wait to see what they say. Besides, you have no idea about the politics and finances. No matter what they do people bitch. At least they are doing something positive.

The problem with Sun Life stadium is the location as well as the multi purpose design of the facility. It is located in the ghetto.

A new, state of the art football only stadium that seats 75K should be built along Biscayne bay near the AAA center.

They can create the land by filling in a section of the bay off of 195. Ross can afford it and it would be situated between the city and Miami Beach.

The details can be worked out later...lol

Ghetto??? Sunlife has a tremendous connection to the TP and I-95. Hardly anybody drives through the 'Ghetto'. Do you know how man season ticket holders are from Palm Beach County? Almost 1/3. You are going to lose them all. Can you imagine 75k fans getting in and out of the Biscayne Blvd/Bay area????? That is a disaster. And talking about 'Ghetto': if you want to go to I95 you are really going through the 'Ghetto' then.

I can't believe that you list your location as South Beach.

Good to see Ross is treating the stadium like the front office just slap some more lip stick on the pig!

From what I understand, the team is going to be asking for some public funding to renovate the stadium, with Ross putting in a bunch as well. IF a deal gets done, the stadium's life would be extended by around 25 years.

However, Marlins owner Luria (perhaps the BIGGEST ASS in the history of sport) has made that next to impossible with the public funding he got. People and politicians are FUMING over what this FRAKIN JERK has done here.

To be fair, Ross and the Dolphins do deserve some help based on their history, as well as bringing a lot of money into South Fla with Super Bowls over the years. Just don't see it happening for some time because of Luria.

To finish my vent on THE BIGGEST ASS IN SPORTS HISTORY, he just told his GM that he cannot do a a radio show, and is prohibited from having any interviews. He is a very HATED man here, and deservedly so. If he fracks up the Doplhins, the hate will grow.

Anyone want to chip in for some tar and feathers on his way out of town?

I don't even know why anybody in Miami is surprised that Loria pulled that crap. His history is well known for screwing fans and cities. He ran the Montreal Expos into the ground (they are now the Nationals) and got the Marlins because the MLB bought the Expos from him for $120 Million. He bought the Marlins for $160 Million which included an interest free loan of $40 Million from MLB. He basically paid only $40 Million for the Marlins and that was a loan. He never invested crap in anything.

Ross has plenty of minority owners who can come up with the money and Huizenga still owns 5% of the Dolphins and 5% of SunLife Stadium. Between two billionaires and a bunch of millionaire celebrity minority owners they should be able to come up with a couple hundred million dollars.

Personally, I agree that the stadium should be demolished and rebuilt somewhere else.

However, if they insist on staying where they are, the plans (as much as we know them) will be a complete waste of money. You cannot 'bring the seats closer to the field'. You can, at best, reprofile the lower sidelines so they are flatter and the bottom 10 rows are closer to the field. 90% of the seats will remain exactly where they are - it is not going to make any real difference.

The ONLY option that would make the stadium viable in the future is to build a new seating bowl INSIDE the existing bowl. It would be closer and steeper. They could then link it via walkways to the existing concourse setup, so they maintain the investment they have made there, although they would need to shift the executive suites. It would not be as expensive as you might think since most of the cost of the stadium would be saved. Personally, I would do this and drop the roof idea - if Goodell doesn't want to get wet he can get stuffed.

Trying to renovate the stadium leaving the current seating bowl mostly intact will be pointless.

Back
Top Bottom