More Dolphins praise from Trent Dilfer | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More Dolphins praise from Trent Dilfer

Find a Jared Cook or Dustin Keller in FA or draft a Tyler Elfert or Zach Ertz and match them with Clay. Start making the opposition have issues defending OUR offense for once.

In the past few years only the Wildcat and Brandon Marshall did the opposition have to really fear something we had.

Next year, have a pair of athletic TE's to go with a vertical receiver mixed in with some strong intermediate route runners like the Fins have now in Bess and Hartline (if re-signed). If the O-line can be re-wired, I think RT has a chance to be a Joe Flacco-type QB.

How...? Tannehill's skill set doesn't slightly resemble Flacco's...have you seen Joe Flacco's mobility? He is not an athletic QB like Tannehill. They're two different types.

How...? Tannehill's skill set doesn't slightly resemble Flacco's...have you seen Joe Flacco's mobility? He is not an athletic QB like Tannehill. They're two different types.
It is too early to make that statement bro. Let's see in 2013 if that statement still holds any water. I think Ryan get's better and the support around get's better as well.

We need Mike Wallace, bad. Wallace can be to Tannehill what Torrey Smith is for Flacco.

it' not too early to say athletically ryan tannehills an entirely different level than joe flacco...what flacco has which sets him apart from many nfl qbs is terrific vertical accuracy and the ability to throw the ball outside the numbers down the field with spot on placement...he'll throw at least 3 balls a game down the field outside the #'s that leave you saying wow

It is too early to make that statement bro. Let's see in 2013 if that statement still holds any water. I think Ryan get's better and the support around get's better as well.

In regards to athletic ability? It's hands down Tannehill...you can't teach athletics (to a certain point) and he is already beyond that. If you're referring to being a pocket passer, than obviously the verdict is still out there. I'd expect him to be better than Flacco IMO.

I'm quite happy with Tannehill. The biggest things for a QB are accuracy and decision making. His accuracy is stellar. I think he is probably the most accurate rookie QB, which makes me very excited for the Dolphins future. By accuracy, I mean he places the ball exactly where he intends to place it ... regardless of whether it is caught or not. Sometimes that means throwing the ball away to avoid a sack. Numbers don't really tell the whole story with accuracy, but once we surround him with some more talent, I think those numbers will reflect his accuracy as well.

His decision making is pretty good for a rookie and much better than I expected, but that's an area that can still use some improvement IMHO. Given that he was less experienced coming in, I was very impressed with where he was and how he progressed.

Going forward, hard work, a sharp mind, and a drive to succeed will serve him well. He still needs to learn some of the tricks of the trade like looking off the safety, extending the play, giving a hard snap count, etc., but he has all of the mental and physical skills. His future and ours looks bright.

I'm quite happy with Tannehill. The biggest things for a QB are accuracy and decision making. His accuracy is stellar. I think he is probably the most accurate rookie QB, which makes me very excited for the Dolphins future. By accuracy, I mean he places the ball exactly where he intends to place it ... regardless of whether it is caught or not. Sometimes that means throwing the ball away to avoid a sack. Numbers don't really tell the whole story with accuracy, but once we surround him with some more talent, I think those numbers will reflect his accuracy as well.

His decision making is pretty good for a rookie and much better than I expected, but that's an area that can still use some improvement IMHO. Given that he was less experienced coming in, I was very impressed with where he was and how he progressed.

Going forward, hard work, a sharp mind, and a drive to succeed will serve him well. He still needs to learn some of the tricks of the trade like looking off the safety, extending the play, giving a hard snap count, etc., but he has all of the mental and physical skills. His future and ours looks bright.
I actually think his accuracy was a problem at times last year. Sailed way too many passes.

I actually think his accuracy was a problem at times last year. Sailed way too many passes.

What I consistently saw was him putting the ball where only his WR or nobody could get it. I didn't see many times where the ball sailed on him. The deep throws that he missed--and he missed several-- were mostly of the type where the WR is asked to run under the throw ... but none of our WR's really has great speed. He did overthrow Hartline a couple of times, but almost always in exactly the spot where only the WR could get it.

By contrast, I saw a lot of passes from Luck, RGIII and Wilson that were in the right zip code but really required the WR to adjust considerably and make the catch. They made a lot of great throws too, but they were eratic at times as well. One pass would be ahead of the WR, and the next behind, and even if both were caught, neither was accurately delivered. This isn't a knock on them, rather I think its a testament to Tannehill honestly. Once we have WR's and TE's that offer a little more I think Tannehill can make our offense really hum.

Hartline had a career year because he played well, but also because after Hartline and Bess, we didn't have any reliable WR's. Tannehill routinely delivered the ball to Hartline and Fasano when they didn't really create enough separation ... but that was the best separation any of our WR's could get on the play. Tannehill played with the least margin for error of any of the rookie QB's by far, but he consistently put the ball into very tight windows. All the time? Definitely not, but he was extremely good at it IMHO.

Watching Rodgers, Brady and Manning is obviously in a different league from any of the rookies, and not really a fair comparison. But, amongst the rookie and 2nd year QB's, Tannehill was the one who stood out at putting the ball exactly where he wanted to put it. Sure, completing a bubble screen makes the stat sheet look awesome, but it requires speed WR's to make it work well enough to even make the gameplan ... and we had none. RGIII had the luxury of 4 speed WR's and made a killing using the bubble screen. Every one of the rookie QB's had WR's and/or TE's that created separation better than our WR + TE receiving corps. Yet, Tannehill didn't throw too many INT's really.

In his first game he had 3 INT's, but one was from Naanee giving up on the route ... that's not an inaccurate pass, it's a bad decision and horrible WR play. His other two INT's were batted at the line of scrimmage, and JJ Watt did that to a lot of QB's. Tannehill's INT in the first Jets game was a bad decision. I remember one INT that hit Fasano in the chest that was a fantastic throw while Fasano was closely covered ... but it bounced off of Fasano's chest into the defender's hands because Fasano never really created any separation. Watching Andrew Luck play--and I thought Luck was excellent overall--I saw a lot of INT's and a ton of should-be INT's that were dropped. Heck, in our game against him Sean Smith dropped a pass that was harder to drop than catch, and Dansby dropped a sure pick six that couldn't have hit him more perfectly in the hands. Tannehill didn't throw too many interceptable balls, and very few INT's were dropped unfortunately, LOL.

We should get 3 or 4 new pass catchers this offseason between the FA's and draftees at WR and TE. It may take a while for some of them to adapt to the NFL and build chemistry, but I think we should have at least 1 good target to add to our decent duo of Hartline at flanker and Bess in the slot. At least 1 of our new players will be a deep threat split end to push back the safety and give tannehill a WR that can create separation. So I'm expecting both Tannehill and our offense to improve noticably next season. Fingers crossed.

Flacco has very low interception percentage and that serves the Ravens well in the playoffs. They simply don't give away playoff games via turnovers.

Every year Flacco is remarkably consistent, throwing roughly 500-540 times and with only 10 or 12 interceptions. His interception rate of slightly above 2% is one of the best in league history. Nowadays he transfers that to the postseason, with only 2 interceptions in his last 7 playoff games.

He makes huge plays down the field and has excellent touch. Frankly, the Ravens only get in trouble when they don't trust him or when they run stupid plays. Tonight they tried the silly out patterns several times with zero success. And I screamed when they lined up in a bunch formation on 3rd and medium. The Patriots are terrific at defending the bunch look. I don't know how many times they have to demonstrate that before the opposition catches on.

Tannehill at this point certainly isn't capable of what Flacco managed in the second half, abusing the shotgun and with consistent success. He's a bounce and fire guy out of stretch play action, with moderate ability to vary pace and loft. In that regard -- altering trajectory and pace to fit the situation -- he's not in Flacco's class, not even close.

Joe flacco is terrible. RT has the potential to be much better

Well clearly you have little idea on being a playoff caliber QB. Yes, he has a great defence, but he still has too put the team in position to put point on the board. And that he does. He is top 10 qb, and has one of the best playoff records going. May not have the poise of Brady, but he is not far off. the guy is a winner, and thats all that really counts.

Way, way to early to give up on Egnew.

I would love to agree with you, but there does seem to be a lot of teammates that have lost respect for him, that is already a huge red flag. You never know, there have been players before him that were able to make a name for themselves after not looking like much the year before, but Egnew is going to have to work his butt off to prove himself, and regain the respect from his teammates.

Respectfully disagree bro since you are going to bring up this same old argument. It seems this is all you talk about is how Fasano sucks. resign him and bring in a number 1 TE and then sit back and watch the great things that happen. Bro there are other positions on this team to complain about. Bring something new please.:up:

Bring something new? I just watched 4 teams play, that had superior talent at TE compared to MIA. Not even the same zip code talent. Just because some here, believe TE is a major problem and are not happy with a part time offensive lineman trying to bust the seam. You try to move the discussion away from the bum. WR>TE....but TE is up there. If you got such a young QB, you surround him with talent. And TE is talentless right now. So please bring something new,other than the old BS, that you can not back up.

I broke down your original 'theory' on why Fasano disappeared again this season. You finally had to goto ridicule because you had nothing left. And this post goes to show, that you still have nothing to backup your opinion on Fasano. But hey, he had a career year, while disappearing for 6 weeks....again.

The fins are in great shape, but i believe that a TE is more essential because it opens up the middle of the field, if you don't want to overpay Wallace then get your young wide receiver in the draft in the 1st round.

Back
Top Bottom