More "Needs" Offense or Defense? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More "Needs" Offense or Defense?

To beat Mahomes you gotta beat him early. Like you need a 20 point lead at half and even then you might be in trouble.

Some of Mahomes stats are loony toons

15 post season wins (1 behind Joe Mantana)

Hes played 6 seasons and he's 3rd all time in Superbowl appreiances and 3rd all time in post season wins.

Holds record for must Rushing yards by a QB in Super Bowls

In the last 30 years there has never been a QB who went 8 for 8 with over 27 rushing yards and a pass touchdown on a single drive. In regular season or post season. Mahomes did this in overtime to win the Superbowl.

Mahomes has started 96 games in the NFL and he's only lost 3 of them by more than one score.

Since 2019 he's 5-1 in the playoffs when trailing by 10 or more points. The rest of the NFL is 6-48.

1st QB all time to win Superbowl while also being the Leagues largest cap hit to his team.

1st QB to beat 4 of the top 6 Scoring offenses in the playoffs Dolphins, 9ers, Ravens, Bills.

In the Superbowl Era there has been 7 times a team came back from double digits in the Superbowl to win the game.... Mahomes is 3 of them.

Mahomes Record in the playoffs and post season, over 6 years is 15-3.... he made the AFC Championship game all 6 years.

Mahomes after only 6 seasons has passed Hall of Famer Peyton Manning for passing TDs in the post season. Mahomes is currently 5th on the list. 3 behind Farve, and only 4 behind Rodgers and Montana who are tide for 2nd. After next season Mahomes is likely to be 2nd all time in post season TDs. In his 7th year as a starter.

Stuff is crazy.
Just amazing. I think he's the best quarterback ever, honestly, and I've watched football for more than 50 years now. Those numbers are insane!

To me, what really stands out is his innate ability to know when to run. You think of Jackson and Allen when you consider running quarterbacks. But, he does it the right way. He is such a force in the run game and always makes a few big plays with his legs.

The scary part is he simply doesn't make many mistakes anymore. Early in his career, that wasn't the case. And this year he did it without a great supporting cast on offense, though that defense may have been the best in the NFL.

Maybe another team can sneak in there a year or two, but I think there are more titles to come for Mahomes. Matching up is a real problem.

Last edited:
Just amazing. I think he's the best quarterback ever, honestly, and I've watched football for more than 50 years now. Those numbers are insane!

To me, what really stands out is his innate ability to know when to run. You think of Jackson and Allen when you consider running quarterbacks. But, he does it the right way. He is such a force in the run game and always makes a few big plays with his legs.

The scary part, is he simply doesn't make many mistakes anymore. Early in his career, that wasn't the case. And this year he did it without a great supporting cast on offense, though that defense may have been the best in the NFL.

Maybe another team can sneak in there a year or two, but I think there are more titles to come for Mahomes. Matching up is a real problem.
Honestly this is gonna sound funny but I think the only person that can stop Mahomes is Mahomes.

If he loses focus on football, that could open things up a bit. So far though he seems laser focused, if that continues he's gonna be around at the end of every season.

Honestly this is gonna sound funny but I think the only person that can stop Mahomes is Mahomes.

If he loses focus on football, that could open things up a bit. So far though he seems laser focused, if that continues he's gonna be around at the end of every season.
That and maybe injuries. I don't think he plays reckless the way Allen does, but one hit, or weird fall and you never know.

Obviously, I'm never wanting to see injuries. But it is part of the game. Joe Montana missed a couple of seasons where San Francisco had a shot, and a few other teams snuck in. That's kind of what I'm envisioning.

Another point, Andy Reid is 66. He may decide to retire after next year, especially if KC gets three in a row. That certainly could have a big impact.

That and maybe injuries. I don't think he plays reckless the way Allen does, but one hit, or weird fall and you never know.

Obviously, I'm never wanting to see injuries. But it is part of the game. Joe Montana missed a couple of seasons where San Francisco had a shot, and a few other teams snuck in. That's kind of what I'm envisioning.

Another point, Andy Reid is 66. He may decide to retire after next year, especially if KC gets three in a row. That certainly could have a big impact.
Injuries are always possible, but less likely today then in Montanas era. Rules protect the QBs so much more and diet,medicine and training are much better.

I've thought about Reid retiring and that could derail him.

I've heard ppl say Kelcie retiring will stop him but I doubt that very much, Just like Brady, Mahomes will find other key guys to dominate with.

In paper I say keep throwing resources aplenty at the Oline..lots of reasons discussed again and again.

My worry is Edge...will both those comeback strong as ever??? Sorry Gink is good as rotation but not gonna cut it full time. Ogbah...leaving isn't he?

Wilkins going? Seems our d front is up in the air. Haven't had time to contemplate Baker...don't want to.

In paper I say keep throwing resources aplenty at the Oline..lots of reasons discussed again and again.

My worry is Edge...will both those comeback strong as ever??? Sorry Gink is good as rotation but not gonna cut it full time. Ogbah...leaving isn't he?

Wilkins going? Seems our d front is up in the air. Haven't had time to contemplate Baker...don't want to.
Our defense is what's gonna ruin us for next year at least. Our dead cap hits from old defenders getting cut is gonna hurt big time. Then add in that we have 2 injured DEs, no DT on the roster, bad LBs and a secondary that has no depth what so ever and it's a recipe for disaster.

Just gotta hope we nail our draft picks and hit 2 or 3 home runs with UDFAs.

Our defense is what's gonna ruin us for next year at least. Our dead cap hits from old defenders getting cut is gonna hurt big time. Then add in that we have 2 injured DEs, no DT on the roster, bad LBs and a secondary that has no depth what so ever and it's a recipe for disaster.

I am more hopeful, due the changes we are making with our defensive coaching.

I am most interested on who we keep as defensive players. I believe who we keep will be largely controlled by our new DC with support from the FO - as far as cap limitations and the availability of good players in the draft & FA goes.

This is why I think we need to invest most of our '24 resources in the offense, couple OL, TE, maybe even another back and we need a decent WR3. The defense is going to be a struggle no matter what with the Edge injuries, X maybe gone, Baker maybe gone, Wilkins maybe gone and a new coaching staff. We just can't address everything in this one offseason, not with two draft picks in the first 4 rounds and being so over the cap. I feel we can get to elite on offense this offseason though if we can build the line and add at least one other key weapon whether TE or bigger RB. Then in 2025 we have all of our picks plus another, I think, 5th rounder already. If we let CW and others walk we are likely for comp picks. We could end up with 10 or more picks in 2025 and can address defense with a bunch of young cheap studs then.

With a truly elite offense we can still compete in '24 and should be a playoff team. Could possibly even win a playoff game. I don't think SB is realistic next year but it could be in '25 if we make a lot of right moves now and in the '25 draft.

I haven't seen the schedule yet, but I hope Miami starts with the "easier" portion. With Chubb and Phillips, there's a chance neither are ready when the season starts. The offense will have to be much better. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

I haven't seen the schedule yet, but I hope Miami starts with the "easier" portion. With Chubb and Phillips, there's a chance neither are ready when the season starts. The offense will have to be much better. I don't think there's any doubt about that.
It's just hard to see us take a step forward next year.

I know its not something anyone wants to hear so I'm sorry in advance if your reading this and think everything is gonna be okay next year.

But damn guys, alot of key starters are leaving, we don't have much cap space and we don't have much draft capitol. Bills will still be the Bills, the Jets might be better with Rodgers, I doubt they will be much better but they will be better. Prob 8-9 kind of team. The Pats are reverting back to the Patriots of the 70s, awful and hopelessly going nowhere fast.

I kinda look at next year and see our high water mark as making the playoffs and losing again in the WC round. And the floor.... I dont even wanna think about the floor for next year, it's a dark place full of flames and stuff exploding.

From where we are today, trying to envision a roster capable of winning next year's Superbowl is no easy task.

We're thin at almost every position. A large chunk of next year's roster will be made up of UDFAs or FAs taking close to if not at league minimum.

We will need previous draft picks like Tindall and Smith to take huge steps and become serious players if we have any hope for next seasons. Especially Smith, we invested so much in DBs that have failed in the draft we need Smith to hit in a huge way.

We have to use the little cap space we do have very wisely. I'd put it all in Oline help, we are awful at drafting Oline and having them contribute right away.... well they contribute to us losing games right away but that's about it.

I know this isn't Madden but I want a Madden type of Draft with just a ridiculous number of trade downs. I'd try to trade out of the 1st for a 2nd and a 2025 1st. Then with one of the two 2nd rounders trade back and get a 3rd and 5th or something like that. Then sprinkle in more trade downs until we double the number of picks we have in this draft. Just load up on 5th 6th and 7th rounders and hope some of them hit. Grier has done well with picks late in the draft, I have hope we could end up with 4 to 5 starters with this draft approach. They may not be TJ Watt type talents bur we need starters and depth more than about any team in the NFL.

For the love of God fix the kicking game, A new Punter is an absolute must, our Punter this year was cat turds. Sanders is awful, I hate him but I think we're stuck w him bc of his contract so whatever.

Fix the damn running game, draft another back or get a cheap FA who's undervalued and get us some depth on the oline and make the running game a huge saftey net for this offense. I want a TE but I think this part is more important. This system/scheme is currently great at making it to superbowls and losing them, looking at you 49ers. They didn't run the ball enough against KC, they prob woulda lost anyway bc Mahomes is an alien but you see my point. We need a more constant running attack.

Get a TE. Use one of my 10 draft picks I just acquired by trading down 7 times and find a Diamond in the rough TE prospect. *This plan is a total and complete pipe dream but it's my plan and for my plan to work we need to find this guy.

The defense is currently in the ICU. Our dline is a total disaster, Phillips and Chubb both most likley won't be ready for the start of the season. We might lose AVG to FA. We are losing Wilkins to FA. That bust of a DT is leaving, I can't think of his name but Flores drafted him I'm sure... Davis that's his name, that disappointing motha *******. This is the part of my plan that starts getting hard to see a good outcome. We need to find cheap Vets, prob coming off an injury and maybe a draft pick or two to hopefully bandaid this unit going into next year.

The LBs all stink becides Long and AVG, hopefully Tindall develops and we draft another one who's a future HOF talent. *pipe dream

The secondary...... F*** the secondary, they get nothing, we have invested so much into this unit, the guys we have on the PS and riding the bench have to develop for this plan to work. We simply don't have resources to give this unit anything else this offseaon. They take up 40% of our cap already, multiple draft picks, it's just gross. What we have spent on this unit we should have the #1 passing defense and it shouldn't be close. We finally have to address other areas than the secondary. For fun go look at how much the Chiefs spent on their secondary to win this year's superbowl, it will make you sick.

Last edited:

I know its not something anyone wants to hear so I'm sorry in advance if your reading this and think everything is gonna be okay next year.

But damn guys, alot of key starters are leaving, we don't have much cap space and we don't have much draft capitol. Bills will still be the Bills, the Jets might be better with Rodgers, I doubt they will be much better but they will be better. Prob 8-9 kind of team. The Pats are reverting back to the Patriots of the 70s, awful and hopelessly going nowhere fast.

I kinda look at next year and see our high water mark as making the playoffs and losing again in the WC round. And the floor.... I dont even wanna think about the floor for next year, it's a dark place full of flames and stuff exploding.

From where we are today, trying to envision a roster capable of winning next year's Superbowl is no easy task.

We're thin at almost every position. A large chunk of next year's roster will be made up of UDFAs or FAs taking close to if not at league minimum.

We will need previous draft picks like Tindall and Smith to take huge steps and become serious players if we have any hope for next seasons. Especially Smith, we invested so much in DBs that have failed in the draft we need Smith to hit in a huge way.

We have to use the little cap space we do have very wisely. I'd put it all in Oline help, we are awful at drafting Oline and having them contribute right away.... well they contribute to us losing games right away but that's about it.

I know this isn't Madden but I want a Madden type of Draft with just a ridiculous number of trade downs. I'd try to trade out of the 1st for a 2nd and a 2025 1st. Then with one of the two 2nd rounders trade back and get a 3rd and 5th or something like that. Then sprinkle in more trade downs until we double the number of picks we have in this draft. Just load up on 5th 6th and 7th rounders and hope some of them hit. Grier has done well with picks late in the draft, I have hope we could end up with 4 to 5 starters with this draft approach. They may not be TJ Watt type talents bur we need starters and depth more than about any team in the NFL.

For the love of God fix the kicking game, A new Punter is an absolute must, out Punter this year was cat turds. Sanders is awful, I hate him but I think we're stuck w him bc of his contract so whatever.

Fix the damn running game, draft another back or get a cheap FA who's undervalued and get us some depth on the oline and make the running game a huge saftey net for this offense. I want a TE but I think this part is more important. This system/scheme is currently great at making it to superbowls and losing them, looking at you 49ers. They didn't rub the ball enough against KC, they prob woulda lost any bc Mahomes is an alien but you see my point. We need a more constant running attack.

Get a TE. Use one of my 10 draft picks I just acquired by trading down 7 times and find a Dimond in the rough TE prospect. *This plan is a total and complete pipe dream but it's my plan and for my plan to work we need to find this guy.

The defense is currently in the ICU. Our dline is a total disaster, Phillips and Chubb both most likley won't be ready for the start of the season. We might lose AVG to FA. We are losing Wilkins to FA. That bust of a DT is leaving, I can't think of his name but Flores drafted him I'm sure... Davis that's his name, the disappointing motha *******. This is the part of my plan that starts getting hard to see a good outcome. We need to find cheap Vets, prob coming off an injury and maybe a draft pick or two to hopefully bandaid this unit going into next year.

The LBs all stink becides Long and AVG, hopefully Tindall develops and we draft anotherone.

The secondary...... F*** the secondary, they get nothing, we have invested so much into this unit, the guys we have on the PS and riding the bench have to develop for this plan to work. We simply don't have resources to give this unit anything else this offseaon. They take up 40% of our cap already, multiple draft picks, it's just gross. What we have spent on this unit we should have the #1 passing defense and it shouldn't be close. We finally have to address other areas than the secondary. For fun go look at how much the Chiefs spent on their secondary to win this year's superbowl, it will make you sick.
I think if you cut Ogbah, X and Baker and some other non star cuts, then restructure Hill and Ramsey we might be able to sign our guys.

I think if you cut Ogbah, X and Baker and some other non star cuts, then restructure Hill and Ramsey we might be able to sign our guys.
Yea thats the hope, even if we resign let's say Hunt, Williams and AVG. Were still so thin at almost every poistion it's terrifying.

For the love of God fix the kicking game, A new Punter is an absolute must, our Punter this year was cat turds. Sanders is awful, I hate him but I think we're stuck w him bc of his contract so whatever.

Fix the damn running game, draft another back or get a cheap FA who's undervalued and get us some depth on the oline and make the running game a huge saftey net for this offense. I want a TE but I think this part is more important. This system/scheme is currently great at making it to superbowls and losing them, looking at you 49ers. They didn't run the ball enough against KC, they prob woulda lost anyway bc Mahomes is an alien but you see my point. We need a more constant running attack.

Get a TE. Use one of my 10 draft picks I just acquired by trading down 7 times and find a Diamond in the rough TE prospect. *This plan is a total and complete pipe dream but it's my plan and for my plan to work we need to find this guy.

The defense is currently in the ICU. Our dline is a total disaster, Phillips and Chubb both most likley won't be ready for the start of the season. We might lose AVG to FA. We are losing Wilkins to FA. That bust of a DT is leaving, I can't think of his name but Flores drafted him I'm sure... Davis that's his name, that disappointing motha *******. This is the part of my plan that starts getting hard to see a good outcome. We need to find cheap Vets, prob coming off an injury and maybe a draft pick or two to hopefully bandaid this unit going into next year.

The LBs all stink becides Long and AVG, hopefully Tindall develops and we draft another one who's a future HOF talent. *pipe dream

Hard to know what to expect, but I do agree it will be hard to have net gains in terms of talent.

I believe Buffalo is in a tough spot as well, so that could be a positive.

I'm hopeful that Miami will beat the injury odds. That was such a huge factor. I think the team survived early, but once Phillips was lost for the season injuries just kept piling up.

I like the idea of trading down and getting more picks.

The defense is going to be hamstrung at the beginning of the year IMO. A new DC and scheme along with key players coming off injuries will take a bit to gel and be effective. So, looking ahead it may be mid-season before we start to see consistency. I don't believe a rookie on D will impact the team early.

The offense has shown the ability to produce but with Tua only having 2.5 seconds to let the play unfold before he is scrambling for his life the help needed is obvious. Dolphins fans will not see what Tua is capable of if the FO neglects to give him protection. We know his athletic limitations and so does Coach McD. He is a pocket passer and therefore needs a pocket to live up to expectations.

Looking forward ... the 'fins will struggle with scoring if this doesn't happen. The team may lose a few due to the defense needing to come together and that will be expected. Ignoring the OL and focusing on D would be a step backward in my opinion. Continue to build the offense for now ... it is our biggest weapon and with limited resources they can't do both effectively.

Back
Top Bottom