More "Needs" Offense or Defense? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More "Needs" Offense or Defense?

He is somewhat ferocious, the type of guy we need.

The Oregon center would be nice too. Hard to get both as they are likely going in that same realm of picks, 25-35, if I had to guess.

Chargers desperately need a replacement for Corey Linsley so he could be a target with their second round pick, unless Harbaugh wants his boy from Michigan in the later rounds.

I’d give up my 2025 first rounder for Powers-Johnson. Arizona and Washington at 35 and 36 could be receptive to that. Both need assets, especially Washington.

Would also create more opportunity for Christian Wilkins to return if you let Connor Williams walk.

Last edited:
Well the defense has two unused toys that were high draft picks. Time for the offense to get a shot in the arm.

Cam Smith obviously is one, blanking on the other.

You couldn’t possibly mean Channing Tindall because he wasn’t a high draft nor does he have much of a chance of ever having a meaningful career in the NFL.

I’ll keep trying to figure out who the second player is in the meantime.

The Oregon center would be nice too. Hard to get both as they are likely going in that same realm of picks, 25-35, if I had to guess.

Chargers desperately need a replacement for Corey Linsley so he could be a target with their second round pick, unless Harbaugh wants his boy from Michigan in the later rounds.

I’d give up my 2025 first rounder for Powers-Johnson. Arizona and Washington at 35 and 36 could be receptive to that. Both need assets, especially Washington.

Would also create more opportunity for Christian Wilkins to return if you let Connor Williams walk.
I have read that powers would be great at guard for a year or so if needed.

I have read that powers would be great at guard for a year or so if needed.

I could see it. Wouldnt be upset if Williams was the C and Powers manned one of the OG spots while also being the backup C.

Armstead-Barton-Williams-Powers-Johnson-Jackson lol 6 names, 5 players.

Adding TE Ben Sinnott with the pick I get from Detroit, boom, script flipped. Now you can man handle people.

With Armstead obviously on his way out in the next couple of years, if not sooner, it's pretty obvious we have to draft high on Oline.

Hopefully we get lucky and that person becomes an impact player, 'cause we really need it.

Duke’s LT Graham Barton projects as a G while also serving as your backup LT.

I’d be happy if he were the 21st pick but I’d prefer to trade down 7-10 spots and grab him or one of the other talented interior OL who are late first/early second prospects.

If they identify a sure thing at 21, then go ahead and pull the trigger.

Barton is going to be hard to pass on if he’s there at 21. He’s going to be a guy a lot of teams think highly of.

I actually think this may be the case, depending on free agency.

At the same time, I think the majority of resources this offseason should go to the offense.

My reasoning? If Miami can nail down the offensive needs I think that could move the needle more.

The offense was really disappointing down the stretch. That can't happen if this team is going to take another step.

Just my opinion anyway.
I agree plus you have a core (Tua/Tyreek/Waddle/Achane) to build around so our meager assets this year can actually address this. The D will be a work in progress no matter what with our two 1st round Edge players coming back from serious injury mid-season or so, a stud DT we don't know we can retain, a search for secondary help now that we are down to one safety and corner worth much (Ramsey/Holland) and glaring holes at LB. We have a lot more draft capital in 2025, I would hit primarily offense this offseason and then swing back to defense in 2025.

A D with the right talent can come together quickly but this offense needs to get much better soon, don't be fooled by yards and empty stats against bottom feeders. Despite being 2nd or something in points last year this offense was no where near SB caliber routinely being unable to either score or even just hold on to the ball so the D didn't get worn out. Putting up only 7, 10, 14 points in the season's marquee games and the most important games down the stretch and playoffs just isn't getting it done. McD has to correct this quickly or he may not be around for year 4.

TE - doubt we find one, they are like finding a leprechaun in the draft.

DB to replace X

Also need WRs, most of our backups are now free agents.

DT/DE to replace Wilkins.

RB if Moestert isn't back.

New Kicker and Punter

Edge depth bc both starters may not be ready week 1.

After that we should only lose to the Chiefs in the playoffs by single digits.
Sorry man, just my opinion but all that other stuff can wait. We need to shore up the o line and our mlbs once and for all. It has been the weakness for years upon years. I'm tagging Wilkins if he don't resign. We are going to lose a lot of players already so I don't want to create more holes than expected. Cam is going to have to step in for X when he gets cut. Kicker/punters should be relatively easy to sign after the draft. Wr should wait until next year. We can't keep signing skill players if our trenches aren't set.

McD, Offensive play calling and Philosophy is a whole other conversation.

Needless to say I took offense to a lot of the crap we did.

5 yard plays behind the sticks against aggressive defense that knew it was coming.
Goal line fades
3 and short

Never trying to feature anyone beyond Hill and occasionally Waddle even when those guys were double covered on key down and distance

etc.
What, you don't like goal line fades to 5' 9" receivers?

Sorry man, just my opinion but all that other stuff can wait. We need to shore up the o line and our mlbs once and for all. It has been the weakness for years upon years. I'm tagging Wilkins if he don't resign. We are going to lose a lot of players already so I don't want to create more holes than expected. Cam is going to have to step in for X when he gets cut. Kicker/punters should be relatively easy to sign after the draft. Wr should wait until next year. We can't keep signing skill players if our trenches aren't set.

We can’t continue to play offense with this pair of WRs and think they will carry us in the post season. Just doesn’t happen. You need the threat of a TE to add to the defenses list of concerns.

Good teams can corral speed, especially in the post season.

Week 3 in Miami isn’t the playoffs.

While we DEFINITELY need to improve the OL, which will take precedent in the first round since TE just won’t be an option, once that 55th pick rolls around we’ll be praying for a talented TE to be available.

You’re not going to win a Super Bowl thinking 60 yard pass plays will get you there. We need to sustain drives.

Unfortunately it’s a very thin class in 2024.

Bowers in the (early) first is prayer. Sanders in the second (might be there at 55 but doubtful). Sinnott in the third (if you can find one).

Likely looking for a bargain in FA. Good chance Darren Waller gets released. Hunter Henry just played out his contract with NE and did pretty well considering it’s New England. Logan Thomas might be a decent stop gap, with that size he’d be a great outlet. With his age would be the cheapest although he’s an athlete still.

Last edited:
Nice post. Given our cap situation this draft will be vital in keeping us competitive. We need to trade down to bottom of the 1st/ and pick up at least a 3rd.

Center position - re-signing Williams would be nice if he comes in at a very reasonable price post injury, but I'm also drafting a Center. Either Powers Johnson in the 1st or Frazier or Van Pran in the 2nd. I'm also drafting an OT in the 1st or 2nd (depending on whos available after our trade down) or even in the 3rd (Amegadjie from Yale). We need to find a replacement long term for Armstrong (who is so old he could be running for President for either party LOL JOKE)

TE - Wiley from TCU or Spann- Ford from Minnesota are big TE targets who can catch and block. Not sure what vets we could bring in cheaply. Or we can sign brother Circumstances who fits your description of a big bodies TE who could give Tua an outlet LOL!

Pass Rush - This is why I'm bringing back AVG. We have no clue when Phillips and Chub will return and at what level. I'm also looking for a vet at minimum to hold the fort.

Wilkins - would love to keep him but doubting we can afford it. Perhaps finding a large DT in the draft (Sweat, Jackson, Lovett) and signing a journeyman vet at minimum this year is all we can do.

Great post.

My last post in this thread highlighted your veteran TE question. Darren Waller could be released from the Giants and we know they like him. His injury history might actually be the only reason you can add him.

Hunter Henry can still play and just finished his contract with the Patriots. Great stop gap option and he’s still only 29. He seems older. Turns 30 right before Christmas so getting two solid years out of him is a strong possibility.

I suspect Washington will move on from Logan Thomas ahead of him turning 33 in July. Huge, athletic guy who managed at least 4 receptions in 8 games and had multiple 5+ reception games. Granted that’s skewed because of the come from behind mode that offense was forced to play in most of the year. Size, athleticism, cheap is what I see there.

Logan Thomas would also be an ideal mentor to Julian Hill as a former QB turned TE, like Hill was.

Jared Wiley is another good draft option, but like Sinnott, you’ll need to trade down from 21 to find the asset to grab him.

Last edited:
Agree about the Oline, but I don't see tagging CW as a viable option, as it would all immediately count against the cap. If we sign him, we can manipulate the charges to lessen the initial hit.

TBH, though I would love to keep him, we may not be in a position to realistically do so, while upgrading, or even maintaining the talent level at other positions.

My guess is we go Oline in rd1 and DT in rd2.

We can’t continue to play offense with this pair of WRs and think they will carry us in the post season. Just doesn’t happen. You need the threat of a TE to add to the defenses list of concerns.

Good teams can corral speed, especially in the post season.

Week 3 in Miami isn’t the playoffs.

While we DEFINITELY need to improve the OL, which will take precedent in the first round since TE just won’t be an option, once that 55th pick rolls around we’ll be praying for a talented TE to be available.

You’re not going to win a Super Bowl thinking 60 yard pass plays will get you there. We need to sustain drives.

Unfortunately it’s a very thin class in 2024.

Bowers in the (early) first is prayer. Sanders in the second (might be there at 55 but doubtful). Sinnott in the third (if you can find one).

Likely looking for a bargain in FA. Good chance Darren Waller gets released. Hunter Henry just played out his contract with NE and did pretty well considering it’s New England. Logan Thomas might be a decent stop gap, with that size he’d be a great outlet. With his age would be the cheapest although he’s an athlete still.
Respectfully disagree brother. Mahommes just won with a TE only that really is just a WR. We can definitely win with what we had this year. Imo it's more on coach to scheme a different game plan. There's no way we have the best wr duo in the league and can't win with them while mahommes only has one receiver (kelce). Plus, if you watch the film back, on most plays that Tua threw into double and triple coverage, or looked for the long play, there were outlets wide open in the flats or on the short routes... so they were there...

Agree about the Oline, but I don't see tagging CW as a viable option, as it would all immediately count against the cap. If we sign him, we can manipulate the charges to lessen the initial hit.

TBH, though I would love to keep him, we may not be in a position to realistically do so, while upgrading, or even maintaining the talent level at other positions.

My guess is we go Oline in rd1 and DT in rd2.
Yeah I agree. It would literally kill all other options if we tagged him. Hopefully we can get a deal done. If not, well, just another fail by this FO and we will be much weaker on the DL. For me it is of high importance to retain him since the injuries to Phillips and Chubby

Back
Top Bottom