More "Needs" Offense or Defense? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More "Needs" Offense or Defense?

Maybe so.

I have to admit, his seeming tendency toward flashy apparel and accoutrements does suggest he values show over substance.

I know you can't always judge a book by its cover, but often you can.
I don’t always appreciate his style or hipster persona, but McD will learn. He’s made changes in his personal life, evolving as a man/father/husband. If he can do that, he can evolve as a coach. He’s smart enough. I have faith he can be a great coach for a long time.

We simply need a GOOD QB.
I think Tua is good. He didn't finish strong and he's not Mahomes, but hard to argue that he isn't top 10.

Stats aren't everything, but in two years in McDaniel's system he has led in quarterback rating (last year) and most yards ( this year).

If Devin White doesn't get the long term deal he's seeking, I'd like to grab him on a one year prove it deal.

He had a tumultuous season so I don't think he'll get the contract he had envisioned.

With free agency and the draft right around the corner, what side of the ball needs the most help?

Obviously, Miami has a challenge in front of them with so many potential free agents. What happens with Wilkins certainly will impact the offseason, draft etc.

The post by Stoobz on cap compliance is a great thread to read. My take is Miami could free up about $45 million. Not a lot if Wilkins eats up $20 million of that, with six million for draft picks. The team can structure contacts in a way to keep most of the major players together, though. Also referred to as credit card spending.

Anyway, there are obviously needs on both sides of the ball. Towards the end of the season, I thought the defense outplayed the offense. The O did get off to an incredible start.

Let's discuss needs.
This season vs teams that were in the playoffs we scored
20 - week 4 - Bills
17 - Week 7 - Eagles
14 - Week 9 - Chiefs
22 - Week 15 - Cowboys - Only team in the playoffs we beat
19 - Week 17 - Ravens - Tua was calling Jackson daddy after the game
14 - Week 18 - Bills
7 - Wildcard - Chiefs

You are not going to beat good teams by NOT being able to score 3 TDs. You need to go O. You need to fix the oline (the only team in the championship games this season NOT to have a top 10 oline was the 49ers.)
We need McD to RUN THE BALL and not give up on it.

This season vs teams that were in the playoffs we scored
20 - week 4 - Bills
17 - Week 7 - Eagles
14 - Week 9 - Chiefs
22 - Week 15 - Cowboys - Only team in the playoffs we beat
19 - Week 17 - Ravens - Tua was calliing Jackson daddy after the game
14 - Week 18 - Bills
7 - Wildcard - Chiefs

You are not going to beat good teams by NOT being able to score 3 TDs. You need to go O. You need to fix the oline (the only team in the championship games this season NOT to have a top 10 oline was the 49ers.)
We need McD to RUN THE BALL and not give up on it.
Agree. The defense may need more work, but I think Grier and McDaniel move the needle more by improving the offense.

Thanks for posting those numbers. I knew it was bad, but wow.

If we can accomplish three things this off season we might stand a chance at competing next year.

Solidify the center position either by signing Williams as well as a better backup option or draft one high.

Get a bid bodied TE who will give Tua an outlet on those clustered short yardage passing situations that he struggles with because of his size and mechanics.

And find an immediate pass rush threat who can replace Chubb as a starter all together after 2025.

I’ll live with losing Wilkins and not having much in the LB department for a year.

Last edited:
As I keep repeating. We need MLBs and OL...
TE - doubt we find one, they are like finding a leprechaun in the draft.

DB to replace X

Also need WRs, most of our backups are now free agents.

DT/DE to replace Wilkins.

RB if Moestert isn't back.

New Kicker and Punter

Edge depth bc both starters may not be ready week 1.

After that we should only lose to the Chiefs in the playoffs by single digits.

If we can accomplish three things this off season we might stand a chance at competing next year.

Solidify the center position either by signing Williams as well as a better backup option or draft one high.

Get a bid bodied TE who will give Tua an outlet on those clustered short yardage passing situations that he struggles with because of his size and mechanics.

And find an immediate pass rush threat who can replace Chubb as a starter all together after 2025.

I’ll live with losing Wilkins and not having much in the LB department for a year.
Agree with most, but I would really love to see an upgrade at linebacker. it’s so critical to have playmaker in big games. Please, let’s find another Zach Thomas.

TE - doubt we find one, they are like finding a leprechaun in the draft.

DB to replace X

Also need WRs, most of our backups are now free agents.

DT/DE to replace Wilkins.

RB if Moestert isn't back.

New Kicker and Punter

Edge depth bc both starters may not be ready week 1.

After that we should only lose to the Chiefs in the playoffs by single digits.
KC is so tough. Maybe another playoff caliber team will suffer the injury bug this year and not Miami.

I do think it's going to be hard to fill all the needs. Tight end could be the most difficult.

Agree with most, but I would really love to see an upgrade at linebacker. it’s so critical to have playmaker in big games. Please, let’s find another Zach Thomas.

Hard to do without a third and fourth. That’s why I’ve written that position off for now. Best case you sign a guy like Devin White on a one year deal if he doesn’t get the big offers he thought he was in line for two years ago.

KC is so tough. Maybe another playoff caliber team will suffer the injury bug this year and not Miami.

I do think it's going to be hard to fill all the needs. Tight end could be the most difficult.
have to get powerful on the line, trenches matter so much against good teams. Can’t expect Tua to get rid of the ball all the time in 2 sec, makes it too easy for a quality team to defend.

have to get powerful on the line, trenches matter so much against good teams. Can’t expect Tua to get rid of the ball all the time in 2 sec, makes it too easy for a quality team to defend.

I’m liking Graham Barton more and more each day as the LG/backup LT.

He’s one of the guys I’d trade down from 21 and target.

I like the Lions at 29 as a trade partner. They have an extra third round pick from Minn for the Hockenson trade, 73rd overall, as well as their own which I think is 92.

They can sacrifice 73 to get a better chance at a CB.

Last edited:
I’m like Graham Barton more and more each day as the LG/backup LT.

He’s one of the guys I’d trade down from 21 and target.

I like the Lions at 29 as a trade partner. They have an extra third round pick from Minn for the Hockenson trade, 73rd overall, as well as their own which I think is 92.

They can sacrifice 73 to get a better chance at a CB.
He is somewhat ferocious, the type of guy we need.

Nice post. Given our cap situation this draft will be vital in keeping us competitive. We need to trade down to bottom of the 1st/ and pick up at least a 3rd.

Center position - re-signing Williams would be nice if he comes in at a very reasonable price post injury, but I'm also drafting a Center. Either Powers Johnson in the 1st or Frazier or Van Pran in the 2nd. I'm also drafting an OT in the 1st or 2nd (depending on whos available after our trade down) or even in the 3rd (Amegadjie from Yale). We need to find a replacement long term for Armstrong (who is so old he could be running for President for either party LOL JOKE)

TE - Wiley from TCU or Spann- Ford from Minnesota are big TE targets who can catch and block. Not sure what vets we could bring in cheaply. Or we can sign brother Circumstances who fits your description of a big bodies TE who could give Tua an outlet LOL!

Pass Rush - This is why I'm bringing back AVG. We have no clue when Phillips and Chub will return and at what level. I'm also looking for a vet at minimum to hold the fort.

Wilkins - would love to keep him but doubting we can afford it. Perhaps finding a large DT in the draft (Sweat, Jackson, Lovett) and signing a journeyman vet at minimum this year is all we can do.

Back
Top Bottom