More "Needs" Offense or Defense? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More "Needs" Offense or Defense?

Defense by far. It needs a lot of upgrades, in the secondary and in the middle of the defense, linebackers, and potentially at DT as well.
So you think we don't need to invest more in Oline?

Resources are not unlimited. We have two picks in the first two days of the draft and a cap situation that will prohibit any top tier FA signings.

So you think we don't need to invest more in Oline?

Resources are not unlimited. We have two picks in the first two days of the draft and a cap situation that will prohibit any top tier FA signings.

We could but it is not critical. QB and defense are critical.

We could but it is not critical. QB and defense are critical.
QB is critical, but protecting him and giving him more than 2 seconds isn't?

That in incongruent as an overall philosophy.

"Incongruent":

n. lack of consistency or appropriateness, as in inappropriate affect or as when one's subjective evaluation of a situation is at odds with reality.

QB is critical, but protecting him and giving him more than 2 seconds isn't?

That in incongruent as an overall philosophy.

"Incongruent":

n. lack of consistency or appropriateness, as in inappropriate affect or as when one's subjective evaluation of a situation is at odds with reality.

Exactly!

Ideally I would like to see 3 things on offense that I believe would take it to the next level.

1) Upgrade the OL that gives the QB 2 additional seconds.
2) Get a bigger or physical reciever that can compliment Waddle/Hill that can't be blanketed 1 on 1.
3) Get a TE that can make plays in the receiving game.

^^^Do those things with what we already have and look out.

Defense by far. It needs a lot of upgrades, in the secondary and in the middle of the defense, linebackers, and potentially at DT as well.
I actually think this may be the case, depending on free agency.

At the same time, I think the majority of resources this offseason should go to the offense.

My reasoning? If Miami can nail down the offensive needs I think that could move the needle more.

The offense was really disappointing down the stretch. That can't happen if this team is going to take another step.

Just my opinion anyway.

Let’s get guys like this in the second and third rounds:

Trade our 1st round for three third round picks. Then grab that guy, or guys like Kingsley, if available in the third.

Only problem is that our front office is not anywhere near as good as that of Detroit, KC, Baltimore or SF. Our guys waste draft capital like it’s the objective. They use first round picks to land third or fourth round production.

Detroit could land an impact starter with a third round pick. The Dolphins will use the same pick on someone who will go straight to the practice squad. I’ll just be happy if we draft someone, anywhere in the draft, who can start in 2024. History says that is likely not to happen.

Only problem is that our front office is not anywhere near as good as that of Detroit, KC, Baltimore or SF. Our guys waste draft capital like it’s the objective. They use first round picks to land third or fourth round production.

Detroit could land an impact starter with a third round pick. The Dolphins will use the same pick on someone who will go straight to the practice squad. I’ll just be happy if we draft someone, anywhere in the draft, who can start in 2024. History says that is likely not to happen.
Those are great front offices for sure. But they've also had the same head coach longer than Miami. In the case of Detroit, not much longer. But Harbaugh and Shanahan have been there a long time.

That's an advantage in knowing scheme, players that fit etc.

Miami's roster is actually really good. Part of the reason the Dolphins have a challenging cap situation is the number of good young players who are due to get paid.

Exactly!

Ideally I would like to see 3 things on offense that I believe would take it to the next level.

2) Get a bigger or physical reciever that can compliment Waddle/Hill that can't be blanketed 1 on 1.

Cynthia Frelund has Miami taking Coleman at 21 in her latest mock.

While I like other receivers better, and think that's a little high for Coleman, he could actually be a great fit. He's a 50/50 winner and maybe the best redzone option at receiver in the draft.

Without a 3rd and 4th rounder, I think it's going to be hard to find an upgrade at tight end in the draft. Maybe that's a free agent target?

Exactly!

I'm not going to argue Miami needs some dominate 'big guys' in '23, but, they had a number of big targets on the roster and seemed to ignore them. It will be interesting to see if Mcd et al place any emphasis on the big guys, if they plan on actually using the big guys more than infrequently, or see a need for one.

Last edited:
There are a lot of huge needs on both sides. With so many key players as free agents that they will have to either re-sign or replace they won't be able to do that adequately in one off-season. On defense definite or potential holes at DT(x2), DE, OLB, ILB, CB and FS. On offense definite or potential holes at LT, LG, RG, C, TE, RB and WR.

Having to clear over 50 million in cap space just to get under the cap ceiling while only having 6 draft picks (only 2 in the first 4 rounds). Chris Grier is going to have to pull a miracle out of his ass to field a decent team in 2024.

I'm not going to argue Miami had some dominate 'big guys' in '23, but, they had a number of big targets on the roster and seemed to ignore them. It will be interesting to see if Mcd et al place any emphasis on the big guys, if they plan on actually using the big guys more than infrequently, or see a need for one.

McD, Offensive play calling and Philosophy is a whole other conversation.

Needless to say I took offense to a lot of the crap we did.

5 yard plays behind the sticks against aggressive defense that knew it was coming.
Goal line fades
3 and short

Never trying to feature anyone beyond Hill and occasionally Waddle even when those guys were double covered on key down and distance

etc.

Last edited:
McD, Offensive play call and Philosophy is a whole other conversation.

Needless to say I took offense to a lot of the crap we did.

5 yard plays behind the sticks against aggressive defense that knew it was coming.
Goal line fades
3 and short

Never trying to feature anyone beyond Hill and occasionally Waddle even when those guys were double covered on key down and distance

etc.

Agree completely and, for the record, I'd like a big-bodied receiver. I'm just unsure Mcd agrees with FH. He had 5-6 last year and last half of season, with TH/Waddle injuries, targeted them less than 20x. It seems he wants every pass going to speed and not 1D or TD. Maybe a Kittle would change that. Dunno

Back
Top Bottom