More "Needs" Offense or Defense? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More "Needs" Offense or Defense?

Agree completely and, for the record, I'd like a big-bodied receiver. I'm just unsure Mcd agrees with FH. He had 5-6 last year and last half of season, with TH/Waddle injuries, targeted them less than 20x. It seems he wants every pass going to speed and not 1D or TD. Maybe a Kittle would change that. Dunno
McD isn't dumb.

I think his philosophy would change if he had more confidence in the Oline, both passing and running.

Early in the year with Williams, Wynn and Hunt all healthy we were a juggernaut.

Agree completely and, for the record, I'd like a big-bodied receiver. I'm just unsure Mcd agrees with FH. He had 5-6 last year and last half of season, with TH/Waddle injuries, targeted them less than 20x. It seems he wants every pass going to speed and not 1D or TD. Maybe a Kittle would change that. Dunno

Honestly, He just seems addictive to the "explosive" plays.

I honestly believe it's why we ran so much of that crap 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

As the Broncos game showed if you block it well you can have a plethora of explosive plays.
Because of that even when "most of the time" especially given our OL injuries it resulted in negative plays, killing our down and distance, he still kept with it. Because it "could" generate a big play at any moment.
Absolutely trash concept that killed our offense last season.

Which brings us back to the big bodied receiver and/or the TE position etc. Historically those types of players are going to take the top of like a Hill or Waddle. Thus conditionally, McD, doesn't align his play calling and thinking towards them.

I don't think he's ever going to get out of that crap and realize WINNING the game is the most important thing.

McD isn't dumb.

I think his philosophy would change if he had more confidence in the Oline, both passing and running.

Early in the year with Williams, Wynn and Hunt all healthy we were a juggernaut.

No one is saying he's dumb. But he is human and like all of us has tale-tale sign biases.

While you say "balance" I say, based on tendencies and biases, if we had a better OL that's more likely to make McD even bolder when it comes to calling more pass play concepts.

We can pass block for 4-5 seconds? Nice! Lets call a long developing play that allows T.Hill to catch 40 yards down the field etc

No one is saying he's dumb. But he is human and like all of us has tale-tale sign biases.

While you say "balance" I say, based on tendencies and biases, if we had a better OL that's more likely to make McD even bolder when it comes to calling more pass play concepts.

We can pass block for 4-5 seconds? Nice! Lets call a long developing play that allows T.Hill to catch 40 yards down the field etc
Maybe so.

I have to admit, his seeming tendency toward flashy apparel and accoutrements does suggest he values show over substance.

I know you can't always judge a book by it's cover, but often you can.

Maybe so.

I have to admit, his seeming tendency toward flashy apparel and accoutrements does suggest he values show over substance.

I know you can't always judge a book by it's cover, but often you can.
Well Mach, my 4 dollar flip flops, 3 dollar shorts and 2.5 dollar coffee stained t-shirts with holes in them says different!

Offense.

On Defense we need another Corner, possibly another DT, and if we play more 3-4 defense, still need to get another inside/Middle LB, if we play more 4-3, then not as big a deal.

On Offense we need another Guard, another Tackle, possibly another center, a complete TE that can be good at pass-catching as well as blocking, and possibly yet another good receiver (This time with better size that can block).

Offense.

On Defense we need another Corner, possibly another DT, and if we play more 3-4 defense, still need to get another inside/Middle LB, if we play more 4-3, then not as big a deal.

On Offense we need another Guard, another Tackle, possibly another center, a complete TE that can be good at pass-catching as well as blocking, and possibly yet another good receiver (This time with better size that can block).
I don't think it's necessarily defense be damned, but I do think most of the resources need to go to the offense this year. Got to hope that some of the young guys on defense like Cam Smith, Bonner, Tindall, Goode etc. step up.

I do believe Grier will keep all options open at 21. If Verse or another highly rated defensive player drops to Miami, he'll be open to that possibility.

Early in the season, the pass rush certainly could be a concern depending on how quickly Chubb and Phillips return.

We have lots of needs on both sides. I’d prioritize as follows:

1. Resigning our OL
2. Rebuilding our DL
3. Replacing Jerome Baker
4. Adding a quality slot receiver
5. Adding a quality tight end
6. Finding a strong safety
7. Improving our CB depth
8. Filling the LG position

No reason to not bring back Isiah wynn who looked great and is coming off injury so should be cheap so cross off 8, I don’t see how that isn’t a plain especially with Williams and hunt being much harder guys to sing. Can’t go into the offseason trying to fill entire interior.

McD isn't dumb.

Right. I think part of the "challenge" is that Hill and Waddle are almost always the first and second read, which honestly makes sense. Both are usually open, hence the high production. The problem was when Waddle was hurt, I feel like Tua wasn't looking past Hill enough. Yes, not having a reliable offensive line probably factored in with Tua's internal clock etc.

We are calling for better receivers to complement Hill and Waddle. Yet Berrios has been good in the past. Williams was emerging in Dallas before signing with Miami. Claypool certainly seemed like a great addition. In a way, wasn't he exactly what Miami needed? I thought Grier did a great job on that trade and yet he was a non-factor.

Was it lack of talent, or not using the talent on hand?

I know a lot of people want the Georgia tight end Bowers. There's a photo out there of him standing alongside Gronkowski. Yikes. Let's just say one looks like a specimen and the other reminds me of the annual competition to be the biggest dorkiest Yell Leader at USC.

Bowers does have huge hands. No question about that.
Yeah, he's not a big guy by tight end standard. The speed and quickness is appealing and he can block.

About the OL... Now is a good time to start understanding that you don't need elite players there to have a good OL and you also can't afford to have bad players there... They want 10 slightly above average guys alot more than they want 3 great ones and the rest filled with practice squad players.

WR... Diversity in the draft, they can even wait for the later rounds here.

TE is something that could kill a handful of birds with 1 stone.

On D you pretty much need rookie contracts everywhere.
I think that TE position may be hard to fill. Without a 3rd and 4th, that really hurts. Now, maybe Grier can trade back and then guys like Sinnott could be in play. Not too much to get excited about in free agency. Maybe Noah Fant?

Any potential draft steals at TE that you see?

Right. I think part of the "challenge" is that Hill and Waddle are almost always the first and second read, which honestly makes sense. Both are usually open, hence the high production. The problem was when Waddle was hurt, I feel like Tua wasn't looking past Hill enough. Yes, not having a reliable offensive line probably factored in with Tua's internal clock etc.

We are calling for better receivers to complement Hill and Waddle. Yet Berrios has been good in the past. Williams was emerging in Dallas before signing with Miami. Claypool certainly seemed like a great addition. In a way, wasn't he exactly what Miami needed? I thought Grier did a great job on that trade and yet he was a non-factor.

Was it lack of talent, or not using the talent on hand?
Agree for the most part.

Disagree about the receivers. Berrios wasn't good as a receiver. Look at his Jests stats, particularly his last year. Claypool, while the physical potential is there, hasn't ever lived up to expectations, hence the reason he hasn't stuck anywhere, and was available on the cheap. Williams had a total of one half season of solid production before he got here.

A lot of potential, but very little in the way of consistent good play.

Agree for the most part.

Disagree about the receivers. Berrios wasn't good as a receiver. Look at his Jests stats, particularly his last year. Claypool, while the physical potential is there, hasn't ever lived up to expectations, hence the reason he hasn't stuck anywhere, and was available on the cheap. Williams had a total of one half season of solid production before he got here.

A lot of potential, but very little in the way of consistent good play.
So, maybe it's the lack of talent behind Hill and Waddle?

That would be better than Tua ignoring other targets, or McDaniel not figuring out how to best use talent.

So, maybe it's the lack of talent behind Hill and Waddle?

That would be better than Tua ignoring other targets, or McDaniel not figuring out how to best use talent.
Well, to be fair to Tua, he didn't have much time to go through reads and progressions. Throwing to a predetermined spot at the snap can cause a lot of INTs if the receiver can't be trusted to see things the same way and be there on time.

With free agency and the draft right around the corner, what side of the ball needs the most help?

Obviously, Miami has a challenge in front of them with so many potential free agents. What happens with Wilkins certainly will impact the offseason, draft etc.

The post by Stoobz on cap compliance is a great thread to read. My take is Miami could free up about $45 million. Not a lot if Wilkins eats up $20 million of that, with six million for draft picks. The team can structure contacts in a way to keep most of the major players together, though. Also referred to as credit card spending.

Anyway, there are obviously needs on both sides of the ball. Towards the end of the season, I thought the defense outplayed the offense. The O did get off to an incredible start.

Let's discuss needs.
We simply need a GOOD QB.

Back
Top Bottom