More "Needs" Offense or Defense? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More "Needs" Offense or Defense?

It's definitely going to be a challenge to fill the majority of needs.

Miami has two "major " draft picks. The expectation is that a 1st and 2nd round pick are immediate starters.

After that, the Dolphins have a 5th, two 6th rounders and a 7th.

It's hard to imagine Grier being a major player in free agency, but smart low-cost moves will have to hit.
A challenge for sure, but very doable. Here’s how I’d do it:

1. Cut Ogbah, Baker, Howard (post-June 1), Jeff Wilson, Mike White, Duke Riley, and Keion Crossen. ($58M savings)

2. Restructure Chubb, Ramsey, and Sieler. ($36.5M savings)

3. Extend Tua. ($16M savings)

4. Re-sign Williams, Hunt, and Lamm. (approx. $18M in 2024 cap space)

5. Franchise Wilkins. (approx. $21M in 2024 cap space)

6. Re-sign Van Ginkel and Elliott. (approx. $8M in 2024 cap space)

7. Draft ILB and LG in first two rounds.

8. Sign best available free agent TE for $4-5 million in 2024 cap space.

9. Focus on DL depth and slot receiver with Day Three picks and vet minimum signings.

10. Pray Cam Smith doesn’t suck.

1. Cut Ogbah, Baker, Howard (post-June 1), Jeff Wilson, Mike White, Duke Riley, and Keion Crossen. ($58M savings)

9. Focus on DL depth and slot receiver with Day Three picks and vet minimum signings.

Solid, well thought out, plan!

Not sure there's a mlb in the draft that I like that much? Trotter in the 2nd/3rd maybe.

I think you're spot on about adding a free agent TE. Unless Bowers falls, which is unlikely.

Plenty of talent on the offensive line in the draft, which should help Miami.

Solid, well thought out, plan!

Not sure there's a mlb in the draft that I like that much? Trotter in the 2nd/3rd maybe.

I think you're spot on about adding a free agent TE. Unless Bowers falls, which is unlikely.

Plenty of talent on the offensive line in the draft, which should help Miami.
I would really rather sign Devin White than draft an ILB, but I couldn't find the money to do it. Would help a lot if Wilkins would take a reasonable long term deal. But I’m not letting him walk for nothing and also not giving him any kind of long term deal with an AAV higher than his franchise tag would be.

Mostly Offense, not so much in number of slots, but in priority, we need starters here. C, T (maybe immediately) and G could ALL be required... now. We need another young RB, a TE, an X WR, maybe not as immediately as linemen, but it would certainly help.

On the Defensive side, we might need a WSLB (probably) if Baker won't take a paycut. We might need a DT if CW moves on (probably)... but after that, our only other striking need is at Safety, and only if both Jones and Elliot walk.
Sure, we could use another Edge... but Chubb and Phillips are the starters and signed... even though they'll likely be slow starting. An Ingram type signing is probably preferred to expending a #1.

So Offense... I wouldn't be opposed to seeing our first 3 picks all on the Offensive side of the ball.
Bingo. Have to patch a few things on D but majority of resources need to be poured into the offense. If we have a real and consistent top 5 offense we can outscore a lot of opponents. And the 14-17 we typically scored against good teams isn't going to cut it. We have a solid core to build around with the QB, top two WR's and two speed backs. Pound O-line and for the love of Pete find a quality TE and a WR 3 or 4 worth their salt.

With a real top offense we can compete in 2024 but will likely come up short due to defensive deficiency given expected losses, few gains and injuries to 1st round edge studs that will take a while to work through. Good news is you always have a chance to field a tough scrappy defense, exhibit A is how we played down the stretch without our Edge players, 2nd corner or top linebacker.

In any event, 2025 will provide a full slate of picks plus some, think we already have a 2nd 5th rounder and I expect with FA losses we will pick up a comp pick or two. We will hopefully also be in better financial shape to make a push if we do make the hard roster decisions now. Then with all that ammo you theoretically are just patching a hole or two on offense at that point but then really laying into young defensive studs, as KC did recently.

Get the offense right first or non of the other stuff matters. The next 2 years are critical, another two wash outs and this tear it all down and rebuilt plan from 2019 can officially be considered an abject failure. Critical for this regime to win in the playoffs or they are gone and we're starting over.

I would really rather sign Devin White than draft an ILB, but I couldn't find the money to do it. Would help a lot if Wilkins would take a reasonable long term deal. But I’m not letting him walk for nothing and also not giving him any kind of long term deal with an AAV higher than his franchise tag would be.
White is the type of player Miami needs. That TB linebacker group from a few years back. Something along those lines.

Most of Miami's important F/A and release candidates are on the defensive side of the ball. Miami's offensive F/A are mostly backup type players aside from Williams and Hunt. So if you are going by the numbers, more defensive players are needed to replace the out going. It's also possible Miami is able to re-sign most of their offensive F/A's. Either way there's potential Miami, ends up with a boat load of Comp Picks in 2025? If they are unsuccessful in re-signing their own. We'll see how it all shakes out once the new league year starts, next month.

Seems like we've all been saying it forever. But I really do believe if Miami can upgrade the offensive line that would take care of a lot of issues.
Right. However, along with a better o-line, you also need to upgrade the offensive playcalling, which was IMO a big problem. McDaniel needs to either learn more about strategic playcalling or let someone else with experience call the plays.

Right. However, along with a better o-line, you also need to upgrade the offensive playcalling, which was IMO a big problem. McDaniel needs to either learn more about strategic playcalling or let someone else with experience call the plays.
If the run is working stick with it, as an example. Sometimes I think McDaniel wants to be totally unpredictable. That's fine sometimes, but a boring, effective, predictable run game can add up to wins.

Honestly, I just don't think McDaniel trusts the short yardage run game. Maybe adding quality offensive linemen would change his thinking in that regard?

Think we have more needs on the defensive side of the ball. There is a good chance we lose starters to FA and that we cut guys post June 1st. The offense is salvageable for now. Armstead and Hill are eventually going to cause cap space issues.
The offense of line has been a problem for over a decade, let's take care of it now. OL seems to have more depth early. I'm praying we can recoup our three and four so we can fix the LB Corp.

Holy moly holy original post! I had no idea we had a problem calling plays (sarcasm)

Forgive me for I am probably the worst CapGuy here, but how do you get the 16 million for extending Tua I know you must have a reason, I'm just curious-thanks in advance

If the run is working stick with it, as an example. Sometimes I think McDaniel wants to be totally unpredictable. That's fine sometimes, but a boring, effective, predictable run game can add up to wins.

Honestly, I just don't think McDaniel trusts the short yardage run game. Maybe adding quality offensive linemen would change his thinking in that regard?
We may need a first mover of a running back for this to work. I would love to see the dolphins become a reliable 2 to 3 yard per run or better.

Back
Top Bottom