MORT: dolphins internally discussing signing Wallace AND Jennings | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MORT: dolphins internally discussing signing Wallace AND Jennings

i would rather spend that money on a proven pass rusher and top corner and poss the bills o line player
use the draft for our version of Wallace and Jennings.

I disagree. If we don't land a veteran Wide receiver then we will have another year of painful growth on offence. We must land one guy (in my opinion, it will most likely be Jennings, cost and type of player) in FA and draft at least one with the top 3 picks. We continue to draft recievers the next 2 years. This way Jennings will give us an immediate threat on the outside. However, we need another TE and should bring back Hartline at a good price. Jennings can teach our younger recievers (new draft choice, Binns, and/or Mathews). In the next 2-3 years we grow out from Jennings, Hartline and Bess and have our new crop of recievers developed in our own system. Finally, getting recievers only by the draft, will take 2-3 years to develop if we through them into the #1 or #2 positions.

we cant keep playin safeball like we have over the last decade + , we need to gamble a little , and imo Jennings by gettin a couple mil more a year than Hartline isnt over payin , as the ole sayin gose you want the best you gotta pay , or if you want a championship you cant keep playin like we have , you got to gamble yeah maybe Wallace will be a little bit higher by a couple mil a year but if we can win a superbowel i dont give a rats ass , but if you say its over payin for both , then noway i would give hartline nomore than 3-4 mil a year because if we do we will be over payin for him as well , listen all contracts for big name guys dont come cheap , and to win the big one WE HAVE GOT TO PAY THE MONEY OUT WHILE Tanny is still a rookie and before he gets his next contract , because then we wont have the money to do nothing but sign Tanny to his millions so while we have got the chance lets go for the gusto , nomore conservative lets break the bank and win a CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to disagree with you, signing Wallace and Jennings in no way shape or form makes us a superbowl caliber team, instead what we will be getting out of doing that is just 1 season full of wows and oohs, Tannehill will have a pretty solid season and we'd make the wild-card but no further mind you. Fast forward a bit to when some of our key rookies, 2nd year players or whoever have played out their rookie contracts guess what? We won't be able to pay them because we're paying top dollar for a player who then will be 34 and vastly underperforming his contract, so they'll have to walk and become stars elsewhere while new holes open up for the Dolphins. And by signing Jennings you're also taking away opportunities from younger players to become better, such as Hartline who I have no idea why people seem to hate. You all like to be critics and say he won't be **** because of his touchdowns stats this year, but in reality he has proved everyone on this forum wrong year after year, so I think he gets even better next year. He also has chemistry with RT, is a solid #2, he's younger, and he's cheaper we also will have money to address other key needs such as Tight End, Cornerback, OG, or whatever needs arise. We need to be wise about this guys, we shouldn't spend money for the sake of spending money it never works out.

I have to disagree with you, signing Wallace and Jennings in no way shape or form makes us a superbowl caliber team, instead what we will be getting out of doing that is just 1 season full of wows and oohs, Tannehill will have a pretty solid season and we'd make the wild-card but no further mind you. Fast forward a bit to when some of our key rookies, 2nd year players or whoever have played out their rookie contracts guess what? We won't be able to pay them because we're paying top dollar for a player who then will be 34 and vastly underperforming his contract, so they'll have to walk and become stars elsewhere while new holes open up for the Dolphins. And by signing Jennings you're also taking away opportunities from younger players to become better, such as Hartline who I have no idea why people seem to hate. You all like to be critics and say he won't be **** because of his touchdowns stats this year, but in reality he has proved everyone on this forum wrong year after year, so I think he gets even better next year. He also has chemistry with RT, is a solid #2, he's younger, and he's cheaper we also will have money to address other key needs such as Tight End, Cornerback, OG, or whatever needs arise. We need to be wise about this guys, we shouldn't spend money for the sake of spending money it never works out.

The logic (which i agree with) would be to sign Wallace & Jennings so that the first 5 draft picks could be used on DE, TE, CB, S, OL. Say we signed Wallace & Jennings (and solidified those postions instead of drafting question marks), and we signed a vet like Dwight Freeney and a guy like Derek Cox....we'd STILL have cap space. We could have a 5-10 million $ buffer going forward and have all those guys under contract. You draft a DE for Freeney and Wake to groom along with Vernon. You draft a seam threat tight end to pair with Fasano, you draft a corner, you draft a safety, you draft a right tackle and next year, when Incognito is up for a contract, you draft his replacement.

The beautiful thing about cap space and draft picks is that you can make a splash, draft to plug holes, and give yourself a buffer with which to operate in the future.

The logic (which i agree with) would be to sign Wallace & Jennings so that the first 5 draft picks could be used on DE, TE, CB, S, OL. Say we signed Wallace & Jennings (and solidified those postions instead of drafting question marks), and we signed a vet like Dwight Freeney and a guy like Derek Cox....we'd STILL have cap space. We could have a 5-10 million $ buffer going forward and have all those guys under contract. You draft a DE for Freeney and Wake to groom along with Vernon. You draft a seam threat tight end to pair with Fasano, you draft a corner, you draft a safety, you draft a right tackle and next year, when Incognito is up for a contract, you draft his replacement.

The beautiful thing about cap space and draft picks is that you can make a splash, draft to plug holes, and give yourself a buffer with which to operate in the future.
I see what you're saying but the same logic could be applied to using the money that we'd spend on Jennings to use on Jermichael Finley would that not be a more a logical choice he's younger and he's more dynamic why not him? We'd already address the Receiver position by signing Wallace, resigning Hartline, hell you can even draft another receiver if it makes y'all feel better. We need to spread the wealth on our team to preserve long term success not just short term.

IF we go and get both (Costing about $18 million) You bring back Clemons ($3) Fasano ($3) other minor signings ($5) and draft ($7). That totals $36 million. If you cut Patterson and Carpenter, you free up another $8 million. Bumping our cap up to $54-56ish in space. You still have another almost $20 million to get who you want...Like a Dwight Freeney, Levitre, a TE, or CB.

Then your draft consists of trading down to the 20th range and draft Cooper as OG, CB, TE, DE, LB, CB

Back
Top Bottom