MORT: dolphins internally discussing signing Wallace AND Jennings | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MORT: dolphins internally discussing signing Wallace AND Jennings

Cuts-

Patterson
Carpenter

Resign-

Randy Starks DT
Chris Clemons FS
Anthony Fasano TE

Sign-

Derek Cox CB
Mike Wallace WR
Greg Jennings WR

Draft-

Trade down mid to late 20's and pick up another 2nd and 3rd

1st-Alex Okafor DE Texas
2nd-Dallas Thomas OT Tennessee
2nd-Jordan Poyer CB Oregon St.
2nd-Justin Hunter WR Tennessee
3rd-David Amerson CB North Carolina St.
3rd-Gavin Escobar TE San Diego St.
3rd-Brian Winters OG Kent St.
4th-Corey Lemonier DE Auburn
5th-Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
6th-Ricky Wagner OT Wisconsin
7th-Omoregie Uzzi OG Georgia Tech

That would be amazing lol

that could not be more perfect! excepot you forgot to add trading odrick for somehting :D

Escobar is too slow... switch Okafor for Eifert... but LOVE what you did in FA

i said this about 2 months ago, and the entire site laughed at me.. now look.. I'm pumped though can't wait for FA to start!

I hope we don't get any of these WRs because they want 10-15 a year. IMO they are not worth that much. Both are 7-9 a mill type guys. Don't overpay!!!

Call me crazy but I love the fact that you took a chance on Tyrann Mathieu. I know Philbin won't go near him..but I love him. You can't teach what he has

i would rather spend that money on a proven pass rusher and top corner and poss the bills o line player
use the draft for our version of Wallace and Jennings.

Could you imagine? Both players in aqua and orange. Oh boy!

Even with the Great position we're in with picks/$$$....There's just No Way I can get excited,with the way Ross/Ireland/FO have been running things. Sorry 'Fellas,but they've sapped all of my Hope out of me. I almost expect the worst nowadays. Nobody more than me,hopes that I'm wrong.

Even with the Great position we're in with picks/$$$....There's just No Way I can get excited,with the way Ross/Ireland/FO have been running things. Sorry 'Fellas,but they've sapped all of my Hope out of me. I almost expect the worst nowadays. Nobody more than me,hopes that I'm wrong.

Got to hang in there and keep th faith!

Its possible if Jennings signs a or 3 year contract at 8M per year. Although I think they should only sign one and then try to sign a Defensive player.

How? Unless they sign very team friendly contracts which the Dolphins could get out of in 2/3 years if it doesn't work out. But why would they do that if other teams are looking at them as well? Tieing up 20+ million in two receivers in one off season is just too rich for me. I think Jennings will be looking at least 7-9 Million and Wallace will want 10 + if a bidding war breaks out he could get over 12. I just don't see how both can be signed whilst keeping a good salary structure. especially under a conservative GM like Irleand.

IMO it wouldnt cost us say maybe 2 mil more a year ,because Hartline is wanting 6 mil a year , so what would be the diffrence if we paid Hartline compared to Jennings ? maybe 1-2 mil more a year ? and thats going to put us in cap hell ? , then if so i guess we better just sign Wallace and let Hartline and Jennings BOTH WALK ? noway , i say let hartline walk and sign Jennings in his spot say 4 year deal and as for our big #1 WR sign Wallace , imho its not going to hurt our cap nomore if we sign Jennings as to signning hartline , we need to go with Jennings and Wallace ,then grab a young WR say in the 2nd and we will be set for 6-7 years easy.

I'd love to have them, but I'd prefer to sign one then sign a TE like Martellus Bennett and a DE like Michael Johnson. We have more needs than just WR.

these guys you are talkin about above is still signable even if we get both Wallace and Jennings .

Yes and they always went after the top Free agents, and yes they'd deliver for a couple of years but then after that they declined significantly. Same thing with Jennings, I'll bet anyone here 100 dollars that he would do good 1 year and then after that starts his rapid decline. Besides you don't put all your eggs in one basket, the receiver position is important but not important enough to where you're paying top dollar for 2 receivers which btw we'd be overpaying for both of them. We should invest our money more wisely and spend it on just one of those guys and pay for one of the FA tight ends, fill other needs and to keep some of our free agents.

we cant keep playin safeball like we have over the last decade + , we need to gamble a little , and imo Jennings by gettin a couple mil more a year than Hartline isnt over payin , as the ole sayin gose you want the best you gotta pay , or if you want a championship you cant keep playin like we have , you got to gamble yeah maybe Wallace will be a little bit higher by a couple mil a year but if we can win a superbowel i dont give a rats ass , but if you say its over payin for both , then noway i would give hartline nomore than 3-4 mil a year because if we do we will be over payin for him as well , listen all contracts for big name guys dont come cheap , and to win the big one WE HAVE GOT TO PAY THE MONEY OUT WHILE Tanny is still a rookie and before he gets his next contract , because then we wont have the money to do nothing but sign Tanny to his millions so while we have got the chance lets go for the gusto , nomore conservative lets break the bank and win a CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm posting this for the sake of argument. I'm firmly on the "sign mike wallace" bandwagon, and I've visualized it and know it can work, and would do wonders for Ryan Tannehill. Anyways, here you go..

Dale Lolley- PITTSBURGH – Mike Wallace admits his attitude during the Steelers’ recently completed 2012 season probably wasn’t what it should have been.

But the 2011 Pro Bowl wideout also wouldn’t change how he handled his contract negotiations, a situation that included a lengthy holdout in training camp when he refused to sign the team’s tender offer.

“I’m not in a habit of going back and saying what should have happened. I did what I did. I can’t change that,” said Wallace, who will become an unrestricted free agent March 12 when the 2013 NFL season officially begins.

“I definitely wish things would have been better. But I wouldn’t change anything I did.”

Wallace was a restricted free agent following the 2011 season and the Steelers placed a $2.7 million tender offer on him. Had he signed with another team, the Steelers would have had the right to match the deal or receive a first-round draft pick in return.

When Wallace refused to sign the tender and did not report to training camp, the Steelers signed fellow wide receiver Antonio Brown to a six-year, $42-million contract extension.

Wallace did not report and sign his contract until just before the 2012 season began, a situation that made it difficult for him to pick up new coordinator Todd Haley’s offense.

Wallace sat out the Steelers’ season-ending 24-10 win over Cleveland with a hip injury, the first game he’s missed in his career. He admits that he struggled with the transition from Bruce Arians’ vertical passing attack to the one used by Haley, which included more short throws in an effort to protect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

“My role has always been a certain role since I’ve been here, and it changed this year,” Wallace said. “I wasn’t in training camp, so I didn’t really know how the role was going to change. It did change. You’ve got to adjust to it.”

While his touchdown total of eight was the same number he scored in 2011, Wallace saw his receptions dip from 72 to 64 and his yards per catch fall to 13.1 – still a healthy average, but well below his career mark of 17.2.

Wallace’s frustration was apparent to his teammates.

“We wasted a lot of energy worrying about things that were out of our control, pointing a finger here, pointing a finger there,” said Brown, while not specifically naming Wallace. “People mad here. People mad there. And as a team collectively you can’t have that.”

Wallace said he learned from the situation.

“Next year, I’ll definitely have a positive attitude going into it and make the best of the situation and make it a good fit for me, even if I feel it’s not,” he said.

But is Haley’s ball-control offense a good fit for Wallace?

Head coach Mike Tomlin said Monday he thinks it is. Wallace isn’t quite so sure.

“It’s a decent fit. I think it could be (a good fit) if I have a better mindset going into it, knowing my role exactly going into it before the season now having been in it a whole year, I think it could be a good fit,” Wallace said. “We just have to make some adjustments in this offense. When you’ve never been in it and you just come into it, it’s a little different. Hopefully, if I’m here, I’ll figure it out.”

Despite everything that occurred in 2012, Wallace would still like to return to Pittsburgh.

“This is where I’ve been at the whole time. I don’t know anything else. I’d love to be here,” Wallace said. “I love my teammates, love my coaches, so it could definitely be the best situation for me, but we’ll know in two or three months.

“I just want to be a in good situation, a good fit for myself, no matter if it’s here or somewhere else. I just want to be in a good situation. Money is not really the problem.”

Intriguing to me is that he didn't love the transition from vertical passing game to a quick passing offense, which is essentially what we run. If we do sign Mile Wallace - and I do hope & believe we will - we'd have to have a clear vision of how we'd want to use him and Tannehill and him would have to put in extra work to be on the same page and working in unison.

Back
Top Bottom