MORT: dolphins internally discussing signing Wallace AND Jennings | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MORT: dolphins internally discussing signing Wallace AND Jennings

With the ability to restructure contracts like Dimitri Patterson's, Dansby's, and cutting ties with Bess...Miami can easily add another $10mil of cap space if they need to. So in reality, Miami has about $50mil of cap space to play with. $6.5mil of that is for the rooks so $43.5mil. Regardless, they can pony up a combined $20mil PER YEAR ($12mil for Wallace and $8mil for Jennings) but that doesn't mean $20mil counts THIS YEAR, so they can have a contract where say $15mil of both combined contracts count towards the 2012 cap space. So we kick both Hartline and Bess to the curb and still tag Starks at $8mil, leaving us with $20.5mil now. Now, remember, we've already locked $6.5mil for the rooks, which in reality, like we did "this past year" all of the $6.5mil won't really be needed as only the 51 top salaries count toward the cap and the 4th picks and beyond really won't even count towards the cap.

So continuing, with $20.5mil left to play with and you've already got all your rookies' cap space to sign them away plus locked down Wallace, Jennings, and Starks.

You lock up Long and Smith to long term deals $10mil for Long and $7mil for Smith, but again, the 2012 cap number structured such that it will count say...$12mil combined. You have $8.5mil left.

Who do you got left? Ah, Mr Bush. $5mil for Bush and the $2.5mil you leave for the season or you restructure someone else like Burnett or Icognito in an extention and loosen up some more money to re-sign Fasano and money to have available for the season in case of injury.

Those are just an example, the numbers can even be structured to count even "less" for some players even. My point is that it is "not" impossible. :)

Just heard on sports center live, mort said the phins are internally discussing signing both guys in FA. WOW dream come true. Let this happen......c'mon Ireland.

I love it, them, Bess, Mathews and whatever rookie we draft, would really upgrade our O...we could save money in other areas if we spend that much on WR

If we do sign both I really would hope we trade down and add another 2nd and 3rd. We would still have other needs besides receiver and we wouldnt be able to really sign anyone else besides them! I am all up for it though and maybe trying to sign Derek Cox as well!

LOL, don't beleive anything Mortensen says. He also said we were going to get Jim Harbaugh and Peyton Manning last year. I'll be surprised if we get one of them.

All depends on price. If you can shore up the WR posiiton for a livable price and save the picks for other needs, I'm all for it.

Keep in mind, everything you read on price right now is funneled to the agents by people with skin in the game. The market will be what the market will be. Of course Jennings wants $14 million, and millions of young men want Kate Upton to do the dougie at their doors.

Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

You don't win that way. If you want to draft another receiver thats fine but shelfing out about 20 million on 2 players of the same position is not wise. You all live in fantasyland a bit too much, yes it looks sexy on paper but it wont end well by going this route. Jets proved that this way of building doesn't work.

You don't win that way. If you want to draft another receiver thats fine but shelfing out about 20 million on 2 players of the same position is not wise. You all live in fantasyland a bit too much, yes it looks sexy on paper but it wont end well by going this route. Jets proved that this way of building doesn't work.
What hurt the Jets were bad drafts, trading away picks, restructuring bad contracts and extending Sanchez. When you restructure and push large amounts of salary into later years it catches up. Signing Wallace and Jennings is nothing at all like the Jets situation.

What hurt the Jets were bad drafts, trading away picks and restructuring bad contracts and extending Sanchez by restructuring. When you restructure and push large amounts of salary into later years it catches up. Signing Wallace and Jennings is nothing at all like the Jets situation.
Yes and they always went after the top Free agents, and yes they'd deliver for a couple of years but then after that they declined significantly. Same thing with Jennings, I'll bet anyone here 100 dollars that he would do good 1 year and then after that starts his rapid decline. Besides you don't put all your eggs in one basket, the receiver position is important but not important enough to where you're paying top dollar for 2 receivers which btw we'd be overpaying for both of them. We should invest our money more wisely and spend it on just one of those guys and pay for one of the FA tight ends, fill other needs and to keep some of our free agents.

Cuts-

Patterson
Carpenter

Resign-

Randy Starks DT
Chris Clemons FS
Anthony Fasano TE

Sign-

Derek Cox CB
Mike Wallace WR
Greg Jennings WR

Draft-

Trade down mid to late 20's and pick up another 2nd and 3rd

1st-Alex Okafor DE Texas
2nd-Dallas Thomas OT Tennessee
2nd-Jordan Poyer CB Oregon St.
2nd-Justin Hunter WR Tennessee
3rd-David Amerson CB North Carolina St.
3rd-Gavin Escobar TE San Diego St.
3rd-Brian Winters OG Kent St.
4th-Corey Lemonier DE Auburn
5th-Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
6th-Ricky Wagner OT Wisconsin
7th-Omoregie Uzzi OG Georgia Tech

That would be amazing lol

Wallace Jennings Bush (at WR and 3rd down running back) and Tyler Eifert.

I'm sure this has been mentioned in a thread this size, but if the Dolphins did leak something like this they are obviously just tying to scare Drew Rosenhaus into accepting low ball offers for Hartline and Clemons.

Cuts-

Patterson
Carpenter

Resign-

Randy Starks DT
Chris Clemons FS
Anthony Fasano TE

Sign-

Derek Cox CB
Mike Wallace WR
Greg Jennings WR

Draft-

Trade down mid to late 20's and pick up another 2nd and 3rd

1st-Alex Okafor DE Texas
2nd-Dallas Thomas OT Tennessee
2nd-Jordan Poyer CB Oregon St.
2nd-Justin Hunter WR Tennessee
3rd-David Amerson CB North Carolina St.
3rd-Gavin Escobar TE San Diego St.
3rd-Brian Winters OG Kent St.
4th-Corey Lemonier DE Auburn
5th-Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
6th-Ricky Wagner OT Wisconsin
7th-Omoregie Uzzi OG Georgia Tech

That would be amazing lol

have you actually seen amerson play? i want no parts of him, he cant cover in man coverage at all.

Back
Top Bottom