MORT: dolphins internally discussing signing Wallace AND Jennings | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MORT: dolphins internally discussing signing Wallace AND Jennings

I am getting a bad "smelf" about Jennings if this is true......

Tom Pelissero of ESPN Twin Cities "heard" at the Combine that free agent Greg Jennings is seeking $14 million a year.
$14M a year would make Jennings the NFL's third highest paid wide receiver behind only Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. No one is going to pay that much for an injury-prone wideout entering his age-30 season. Per Pelissero, there is a "popular theory" among NFL front offices that wide receivers will "sit on the market" like inside linebackers did last year. In other words, they may price themselves out of the initial wave of free agency.

not gonna lie I would give up 25 million in cap space alone for Wallace and Jennings. tag starks. resign clemons and draft well....

If we sign Wallace and Jennings and re-sign Bush to play the role he implied...I not only see us cutting ties with Bess, but cutting ties with the idea that Patterson would be a target at 12.

Wallace and Jennings starting with Matthews and Binns for depth would open up a Marquise Goodwin 3rd round selection to be the 5th guy in the rotation while Bush and either Egnew or Clay replaces Bess' s role as the slot target imo. And I like it. :D

Sign Jennings and Wallace, draft Eiffert in the 1st and Swope in the third and Tannehill has no excuses. We should be a top 5 passing attack with those weapons.

Tyler Eifert was an unstoppable first down machine against everybody except Alabama. If you put him on an offense with legit weapons surrounding him..i could see him leading the team in receptions. Man on man you cannot stop him, Bama did for the last 3 quarters in the championship game bc ND literally had NOBODY else

a mistake imo is letting jeff ireland use high picks on wrs...take the guess work away from him by signing proven nfl commodities...wallace and jennings to replace hartline would be a nice haul...

jennings for 3 or 4 years wallace for 5...

I will suck to pay the money but at least you know what your getting. Dont take the chance to waste another 2nd round pick. We have to many needs

OK, let me get this straight. So you're saying that right before the draft and FA period, even as the combine itself is starting its weigh ins, we're NOW getting wind of the internal plans of Miami to sign BOTH of the top WR's and NOT sign its own FA WR and NOT draft a WR. And in 6 pages most posters have accepted this rumor as fact and NOBODY even mentioned the word smokescreen? Color me skeptical. I'm pulling out the cylindrical container of Morton's, because I need more than a grain of salt with this one.

So, we'd have to 1) out bid EVERYONE for not only one receiver, but BOTH. Meaning any team looking for veteran WR help such as Clevland, St. Louis, New England, Carolina and Minnesota, would simply say "too rich for my blood" on BOTH guys and ignore the top level FA WR market? It doesn't strike people as unlikely that we could get them both at a good deal cap number and no team in the league would offer more? And this sounds like a great cap decision?

Then 2) that would assume that both players WANT to come here. I think it's fair to say that Jennings wants to come here ... for equal or higher money than will be offered elsewhere. Wallace may not want to because Clevland lets him prove the Steelers wrong and he knows he'd be featured in a downfield throwing offense that Norv Turner always produces and always makes stars out of fast receivers.

I suggest that as sinister and deceiptful as it may sound, our braintrust might just be throwing out some disinformation. Shock. Gasp. Que your shocked face Mr. E-Trade Baby!

Yes, Ireland may want to keep people guessing as he pursues both WR's in FA before making a call. If he can't afford Wallace and turns to Jennings as second choice, he may actually want Jennings to think he was first choice all along, but was trying to get both of them. Perhaps Ireland wants to go after Wallace but wants teams to think he wants Jennings, and this fictitious situation allows him to appear to be doing that. Maybe Ireland wants Hartline to come off his rediculous 6.6M/year number by letting him know that he isn't essential at a high salary. It's even possible that Ireland wants to grab a few WR's in the draft but wants the other teams to think he would prefer to not invest high picks on young players so he'll wait 1 more year for another FA after he signs Jennings.

As crazy as it might sound, there are valid reasons for Ireland to rev up the smokescreen machine.

You may very well be right...but if Wallace signed in Cleveland, he would then have to live in Cleveland. And Cleveland is a depressing @$$ place.

I think you bring back Hartline. He has devolped great chemistry with Tanny, and will probably be less (in wallaces case...A LOT LESS) then both those guys

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Jennings (7mil per), Hartline (5.5mil per), Keller (5mil per), Franchise Starks. Let Long and Smith walk and Sign Andy Levine and Boom thats a hell of an off-season and we haven't even talked draft.

Good lord...I just read that Jennings wants.....14 MILL A YEAR!!!! Yikes. No Thanks. I'd give him 8.

I love people wanting to bring Hartline back because of "chemistry". Of course they had a little of that, Tannehill had no one else to throw to. Approx 1/4 of his yards came in 1 OT game. Once one or both of these guys come here and Tannehill starts connecting on big plays with them, he will forget Hartline.

Both guys would be a dream come true, but I am not holding my breath on that. Just get me one of those two.

Exactly my thoughts. I hope we can grab one and resign hartline. If we get either, and sign brian, we'll be in good shape going into the draft.

Back
Top Bottom