Mort Thinks Fiedler Keeps Starting Job | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort Thinks Fiedler Keeps Starting Job

I do not see how mort, at this time , can predict that jay will keep the job. In the end the qb that gives miami the best chance of winning will start. My money is on feeley. He has a stronger arm, is more accurate and will streach the defense more both lateral and vertical. If not then we have not lost anything on the field and have upgraded our backup pos.

It's just one guys opinion...
I think feely will be the starter, but what does that mean? Nothing.

Wanny doesn't even know who is going to start opening day.

islandah said:
Let's review: In the past few years, we've had a 2nd stringer (Lucas) and a previous starter (Griese) as an option to Fiedler. Both years, some fans thought they should start. Both had ample opportunity to prove themselves when Jay was injured. Neither shined, to say the least. I just don't understand why anyone believes that now a third stringer (behind Koy Detmer) is going to succeed. Do you think Andy Reid can't evaluate QB talent?

Jay is by no means a top level QB and I'd love to see an upgrade, but I'm not counting on Feeley being it! Also, give credit where it's due: like it or not, Jay has consistently been the best QB on this team. Again, not great, but how would the "greats" have done last year behind that line, with the receiving options we had, and Ricky having no running room?!

The upgrade at the QB position will come from the upgrade from the line and receiving corps. Unknown wha that upgrade is yet.
Please do a search for previous threads about AJF being a 3rd stringer, and then come back to this post and rethink the comment, "believes that now a third stringer (behind Koy Detmer)".

islandah said:
I just don't understand why anyone believes that now a third stringer (behind Koy Detmer) is going to succeed. Do you think Andy Reid can't evaluate QB talent?

We've been over and over the "3rd Stringer" angle so many times it hurts....
Andy Reid is a very good talent evaluator... which is why I'm encouraged with the fact that last season, Andy pointed out that AJ would be 2nd string, if not for the fact that Detmer was the holder for Akers, and if Detmer were 3rd string, and came in to hold the ball for a FG or XP.... under NFL rules, neither Detmer nor McNabb would be able to return to the field for that game....

I like Mort, but he flip-flops more than any reporter I've seen. This means nothing to me.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Not long ago he went on record saying something like he would be very surprised if Feeley was not the starter, I believe it was that "coaches can stack the deck in QB competition by amount of snaps" answer he gave a while ago (maybe I'm thinking of a different reporter???) Anyway I know Mort has flip-flopped on this one.

islandah said:
I just don't understand why anyone believes that now a third stringer (behind Koy Detmer) is going to succeed. Do you think Andy Reid can't evaluate QB talent?

Everybody seems to forget a small little fact while saying Jay can't be supplanted by Feeley who was a "third stringer".

Jay was not only NOT a third stringer at one point but he had been given up on by every single team in the league. He could'nt even find a 3rd string job on a team. Jay was out of the league altogether. It took a coach that was a personal friend of Jays to write letters to NFL coaches trying to convince them to give him a shot.
Feeley has a good shot at unseating Jay if in fact he has all the potential certain NFL guys think he has. Were not talking about AJ trying to unseat Brett Favre here!

Wharf and Trek are right on......Everyone on this site read Wharfs post above about 10 times, then it will sink in. :D

Firstly, I think Mort is taking the safe bet, Jay has experience and knows the offense. AJ doesn't and is learning. He's guessing that AJ won't be ready by season's start. I think he will.

Someone above mentioned past years with Brian and Huard unable to supplant Jay. Well, Huard wasn't really a QB and Brian didn't have the QB school which he missed for his contract signing. So, this is the first REAL threat to Jay and given his rapid improvement in just a few QB schools, I'd bet he'll be plenty ready after preseason.

BLITZKRIEG said:
Mort also predicted the Bills to win the AFC East last year....

Obviously, the guy has no clue...

PHINZ RULE!!!

Yep... Just like CNNSI, and ESPN who pick Miami to win the AFC East every year. :roflmao:

Feidler Has peeked. He has had 4yrsa. as stsrter and seems to be the same every year,not much improvement! Probably time for a change. Mort just Knows that Jay is Daves' boy

It really does not matter...If Fiedler starts he will either get hurt or throw 4 INTS and Wanny will be forced to put Feeley in.
I actually perfer Fiedler to start, that will take a lot of pressure of Feeley.

ltfinfan said:
wasn't brady the third stringer when they brought him in huard was the backup i believe.

YES!!!! I have made the comparison, in terms of their history, several times. If you look at what happened in college, and in the NFL they have a very similar history.

I actually think JF will start the first four games or so.......then the world will be totally surprised. :cooldude:

ScottLawrence said:
Yep... Just like CNNSI, and ESPN who pick Miami to win the AFC East every year. :roflmao:

VEEERRRYYY Mature!!! Next time save yourself a few brain cells and just yell "OH YEAH!!!" Or if you want to stretch yourself try the "your rubber I'm glue" retort. :shakeno:

ScottLawrence said:

Hey, at least we have a showing....We're always in the division race. :D

The Bills are usually out of the playoff race by mid-season... :lol: :lol:

PHINZ RULE!!! :fire:

Back
Top Bottom