Mort Thinks Fiedler Keeps Starting Job | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort Thinks Fiedler Keeps Starting Job

Brady did it, Warner did it, but Feely needs time before he can be a starter.

JF knows the offense, but his problem is two fold: once the play starts he can not come off of who is supposed to be open by design and subsequently find the open guy through checkdowns (hence throws into double triple coverage with a wide open guy somewhere), and when they are open he can not hit the guy on a consistent basis. AJ on the other hand has limited knowledge of the offense and thus his check down ability will limited early on, but he hits guys that are open. So the checkdown aspects cancel eachother out. Is Jays knowledge of the offense a major deciding factor since he can not execute it and check down? It may initially give him an edge there, but the more AJ plays and gains knowledge of the system, his checkdowns will improve (something Jay has not improved on). Accuracy? AJ wins this by a big margin, especially in the deeper aspect of the passing game, the shorter routes are more timing oriented so I assume more time with the starting O will improve this area. I look at like even with better WRs that will get separation, Jay will not be able to consistently take advantage of it, especially on the deep stuff. AJ on the other hand hits on a couple of the deeper routes where the holes in the secondary are bigger and then the shorter stuff will be more open and more forgiving (not as compressed) until he gets that timing down. Also, there is no reason why we cant ride RW and the D a bit more than we want this year for a while until AJ really starts to see the light. That is what Carolina did with Delhome last year. THis will also help our road grading Oline get some time together and grow while playing some smashmouth in the trenches which this line should prosper at. Our D and ST should be able to help in giving the O time to get it together. Also, if AJ connects on some dpeer stuff, the body count int he box will decrease and the running game will really take off and help AJ as well. THats MHO on what I would like to see. I think this O has the ability to be pretty scary when they get it together.

4Dfins said:
JF knows the offense, but his problem is two fold: once the play starts he can not come off of who is supposed to be open by design and subsequently find the open guy through checkdowns (hence throws into double triple coverage with a wide open guy somewhere), and when they are open he can not hit the guy on a consistent basis. AJ on the other hand has limited knowledge of the offense and thus his check down ability will limited early on, but he hits guys that are open. So the checkdown aspects cancel eachother out. Is Jays knowledge of the offense a major deciding factor since he can not execute it and check down? It may initially give him an edge there, but the more AJ plays and gains knowledge of the system, his checkdowns will improve (something Jay has not improved on). Accuracy? AJ wins this by a big margin, especially in the deeper aspect of the passing game, the shorter routes are more timing oriented so I assume more time with the starting O will improve this area. I look at like even with better WRs that will get separation, Jay will not be able to consistently take advantage of it, especially on the deep stuff. AJ on the other hand hits on a couple of the deeper routes where the holes in the secondary are bigger and then the shorter stuff will be more open and more forgiving (not as compressed) until he gets that timing down. Also, there is no reason why we cant ride RW and the D a bit more than we want this year for a while until AJ really starts to see the light. That is what Carolina did with Delhome last year. THis will also help our road grading Oline get some time together and grow while playing some smashmouth in the trenches which this line should prosper at. Our D and ST should be able to help in giving the O time to get it together. Also, if AJ connects on some dpeer stuff, the body count int he box will decrease and the running game will really take off and help AJ as well. THats MHO on what I would like to see. I think this O has the ability to be pretty scary when they get it together.

What school did you go to or what book did you read that made you such a AJ feeley expert?

I usually agree with him but here I hope he is wrong and Feeley starts

Aight, I'll bite. What proof you have that Fiedler is worthy of his starter status? That he will be better than Feeley come day 1?

Trekbiz said:
Everybody seems to forget a small little fact while saying Jay can't be supplanted by Feeley who was a "third stringer".

Jay was not only NOT a third stringer at one point but he had been given up on by every single team in the league. He could'nt even find a 3rd string job on a team. Jay was out of the league altogether. It took a coach that was a personal friend of Jays to write letters to NFL coaches trying to convince them to give him a shot.
Feeley has a good shot at unseating Jay if in fact he has all the potential certain NFL guys think he has. Were not talking about AJ trying to unseat Brett Favre here!

Funny how the Fiedler brigade never seems to be able to address the blatant facts they are presented with. They can bring up Feeley's lack of experience to tell us why he'll never be any good yet they'll ignore facts of their hero like the ones above. :lol:

Trekbiz said:
Funny how the Fiedler brigade never seems to be able to address the blatant facts they are presented with. They can bring up Feeley's lack of experience to tell us why he'll never be any good yet they'll ignore facts of their hero like the ones above. :lol:

TOO BAD ONLY PEOPLE WHO HATE FIEDLER WILL BELIEVE YOUR NONSENSE

minus said:
:shakeno:

There nothing that can change your Bias opinions even if you're presented with Facts.

Minus,

There are no facts yet because training camp hasn't even started. The facts wont even show up till our final preseason game. So 'till then don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Like one of our distinguished posters said before Brady was third string for a reason too. So let's wait and see. I don't personally care if our QB is a rare species of walrus so long as he can throw the deep balls and be in the top third of qb's in the league

FinFan24 said:
Ive said this b4 in a previous thread, but ill write it again. Im 90% sure(just throwin out a figure) A.J. will start week 1. Does anyone remember when Fiedler came in 4 years ago? Almost all fans/media wanted Huard to start. Fiedler got hurt and only played the last pre-season game, and he didnt leave a good taste in fans mouths, he threw 3 (i believe) pics while Huard had a solid offseason. In the end of course jay got the nod. Now with A.J. we paid more for him, more ppl support him, and most importantly hes preforming pretty well, and hes preforming amazing compared to Jay when he came in....just my take on the sit.
I agree that when Jay was brought in, he was starting regardless.The difference here is that DW is still making the call and Jay is obviously still his guy.
My main point is that at best Feeley barely beats Jay out. If you barely beat out Fiedler, you're probably not an elite talent. The qb position's success will be determined by the line and receivers.
As for the 3rd string/2nd string distinction, it's irrelevant. Just about every coach or scout asked feels we overpaid for Feeley- overpaid with a 2nd round pick. Sure surprises happen, but for the most part I think talent evaluation is pretty good out there. The point is, the dolphins will probably have an average, serviceable qb this year that can look better or worse depending on the rest of the offense. I wouldn't look for either of these guys to "carry" the team.

Feeley was a gamble people!

He might never be anything more than backup.

IMO:
Spielman jump the gun by acquiring Feeley for 2nd rounder.I highly doubt other team were willing to part with a 2nd round pick for a guy who was going to be 3rd string on the "OFFICIAL DEPTH CHARTS" one again.Spielman might still get lucky and Feeley eventually become a starter in the next 2 years but I still think it was a stupid trade.

Rosenfels got the shaft.

NLude33 said:
This was asked and responded to on ESPN chat with Chris Mortenson.

Displaced Eagles Fan (NY, NY): Two Birds related questions: Are the Eagles seriously thinking about bringing Trotter back into the mix? He's not Ray Lewis or anything, but I nor many bird fans are really sold on their LB core. Do you think Feeley will come out on top in Miami? I think he showed flashes of being a big timer in Philly.

espn-1.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:36 AM ET ) I'm not sure what level of interest the Eagles have yet, but I do know that Trotter is very interested in going bavck to Philly. He's not a great player, but he is solid and he's still young. The Eagles love the speed that Mark Simoneau gives them at that MLB spot, but Trotter might give them more bulk. I'm thinking Fiedler will keep the job in Miami. Feeley is improving as he gets comfortable witht he system and because the Dolphins invested a 2nd rounder in him, he may get the benefit of doubt. But if he had potential as a big-timer, why was he still third string when the Eagles played Carolina? Koy Detmer isn't that dynamic.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=5467[/QUOTE]

As Peter King stated in a recent SI article, what he's heard is that if they paid a second round pick for a guy that can't beat out Jay Fiedler Huezinga is not gonna be happy and heads will roll.

minus said:
Feeley was a gamble people!

He might never be anything more than backup.

IMO:
Spielman jump the gun by acquiring Feeley for 2nd rounder.I highly doubt other team were willing to part with a 2nd round pick for a guy who was going to be 3rd string on the "OFFICIAL DEPTH CHARTS" one again.Spielman might still get lucky and Feeley eventually become a starter in the next 2 years but I still think it was a stupid trade.

Rosenfels got the shaft.

If he was right, he didn't get lucky. He did a lot of research before acquiring Feeley.

NLude33 said:
I agree, but Mort is usually right with stuff regarding information anyway. This is more of a prediction, but he says that we may throw him in even if he's not 100% ready. I hope he is wrong.
Mort is simply guessing based upon things he's heard out of the early camps, I doubt he's attended a single practice.

Does it shock anyone that Fiedler has an edge in the early camps? If we get to Pre-season and Fiedler still looks better then we have a problem.

AJ is not only adjusting to a new offense but the South Florida heat.

If we get to the season and Jay Fiedler is still the best quarterback we have the GM and head coach should be fired, there is simply no excuse for this team to not be sporting a new starting quarterback this year short of injury.

Didn't wannstedt wait until the final pre-season game before deciding between Fiedler and Huard? Feely's Spielman's and Huizengas boy. Even if he just barely beats out Fiedler (whos going into his fifht year with the team and the heat) that's quite an accomplishment at that point. I'll be fine with that. Worse case is we have Fiedler to fall back on if Feeley can't take the heat.

Back
Top Bottom