my dream off season | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

my dream off season

I don't want to over-pay for Landry but he does deserve to
"Get His" people forget in 4 seasons he's never missed a game(65 straight games)
I'd do my best to re-sign him but I'm not sure how his relationship
with Gase is/has been

Many also underestimate Landry’s willingness as a blocker. He is a physical every down player and helps the running game.
I keep thinking about guys like Tony Martin and Mike Wallace. Deep threats who were soft and shut down against physical defenses. Landry backs down from no one and that is an unappreciated facet of his game if and when this team gets back in the playoffs. Hard to draw any conclusions about the team or the QB position this season since RT was hurt.

That's like saying what good was Marino...we never won it all?

Silly...Landry is a football player...get a team of them and winning will follow.

I think you accidentally undercut your own argument -- and I think it's true for all of the 'Pay the man' folks too.

Understanding the difference between correlation vs. causation is pretty important here. Is Landry our top receiver because he's just that good or because of the lack of execution elsewhere and as a result, he's frequently getting throws as the second and third option? If we had a functional offense (QB and a true #1 WR), would Landry still have those gaudy numbers, and would we even care (either way)?

Having a great slot receiver is valuable. But if you could choose between a great slot or two above average impact players, which way would you go? This sure feels like the same argument the anti-Suh folks are using: a great as he might be, can the team justify the impact of that salary vs. what we give up in other players if that salary was free. The only teams that seemed to have thrived on high end slot play are the ones where the offense has a lot of very good targets and spread the ball around and thrive on YAC -- effectively, their short passing game is used to augment/instead of a power running game.

I will grant you your second argument -- get a team full of good players and you win.... ;-)

are we really worried about $10M-$15M for Landry after all the bad spending the team has done to other players? He's ben the heart and soul of this offense and because of the offensive limitations, has to catch the ball right after the LOC and run for a few yards after.He isn't able to drag across the middle, like in the games last year vs AZ and the NYJ, and take it far. There is no time. James, Thomas and Pouncey all will earn $22M next year if kept and don't have half the worth of Landry

Using your Tannehill arguments, if Landry is the heart and soul of our offense, given that we sucked so bad, that implies Landy's numbers are just a mirage and we should move on.

I like Landry, named my cat after him , but if he leaves via FA I’ll bet anyone here the offense does not regress.

Landry will resign or gets the 14 million Franchise Tag. Regardless he's a Dolphin next year

First it was the lack of touchdowns, then he scores 9 times in a season. Now it's the yards per catch which was contributed to greatly by force feeding 3-4 yard passes to him because the QB play was too horrid to throw the ball down the field.

Can't wait until Landry signs with the Patriots and his YPC jumps up to 12-14 consistently.

Its not about YPC. or TDS its about overpaying for a slot receiver,who takes dumb penaltys.
You dont have to gameplan to stop him,he doesnt take games over like A.B. He is a nice piece
to a puzzle but in my opinion not breaking the bank for him.

Let’s not forget that we should have resigned Landry last offseason and he was only making 900k this year. So a 14 mil/yr contract (say 4 yrs for 56 mil) essentially equates to 11.5 mil/yr (5 yrs for 57 mil). He essentially played at a discount in 2017. He should be rewarded. Look at the list of receivers that were making 3-5 mil in 2017. It’s ridiculous how marginal some of those guys are when compared to Juice.

Keep Landry. I like the nelson pick. I also like Hubbard, but I'm not sure he'll be available in the 3rd. If he is we should grab him. I also like another buckeye for us. I have 2 or 3 every year as I'm a huge buckeye fan. Last year was McMillan and Elflein. The year before was zeke and bosa (duh right?). This year its hubbard and billy price. Both fit what we need. Hubbard has a huge motor and is always around the ball. Price can play guard and center and would be perfect to be groomed behind (or beside) Pouncey to be our next center.

First it was the lack of touchdowns, then he scores 9 times in a season. Now it's the yards per catch which was contributed to greatly by force feeding 3-4 yard passes to him because the QB play was too horrid to throw the ball down the field.

Can't wait until Landry signs with the Patriots and his YPC jumps up to 12-14

consistently.[/QUOTE
The world knows Bill Belichick will never spend 12-14 million on a slot receiver. He is to smart for that.

Let’s not forget that we should have resigned Landry last offseason and he was only making 900k this year. So a 14 mil/yr contract (say 4 yrs for 56 mil) essentially equates to 11.5 mil/yr (5 yrs for 57 mil). He essentially played at a discount in 2017. He should be rewarded. Look at the list of receivers that were making 3-5 mil in 2017. It’s ridiculous how marginal some of those guys are when compared to Juice.
This make no sense at all and here's why. You want to pay him more money than he should make because he played better than the contract that he played under........ok, then should we get money back from James, Parker and Harris because none of them play as good as a first rounder should play? He played under the contract that he got as a 2nd round pick. The team did nothing wrong. He made what he was supposed to make as a 2nd rounder. It's part of the CBA with the players and the NFL. Now he's a free agent and he can get as much as a team is "willing" to pay him.

Ozzy rules!!

1. Keep Juice
2. Draft Rojuan in 1st rd.
3. Draft a LG in 2nd Rd.
4. Get a legit TE in FA
5. Don't give Burke the mulligan

Back
Top Bottom