my dream off season | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

my dream off season

Release Pounce, Julian Thomas, Timmons, Fasano
Sign Landry, Sign Jansen Center
Restructure James RT
Leave Davis RG
Draft RD1 Derwin James,
RD2 Draft LG (Will Hernandex or Wynn Georgia)
Rd3 Draft RB Michel or Chubb,
Rd TE maybe UCLA kid that got hurt, maybe WR Campbell OSU, Rd 4 additional OL

I think you accidentally undercut your own argument -- and I think it's true for all of the 'Pay the man' folks too.

Understanding the difference between correlation vs. causation is pretty important here. Is Landry our top receiver because he's just that good or because of the lack of execution elsewhere and as a result, he's frequently getting throws as the second and third option? If we had a functional offense (QB and a true #1 WR), would Landry still have those gaudy numbers, and would we even care (either way)?

Having a great slot receiver is valuable. But if you could choose between a great slot or two above average impact players, which way would you go? This sure feels like the same argument the anti-Suh folks are using: a great as he might be, can the team justify the impact of that salary vs. what we give up in other players if that salary was free. The only teams that seemed to have thrived on high end slot play are the ones where the offense has a lot of very good targets and spread the ball around and thrive on YAC -- effectively, their short passing game is used to augment/instead of a power running game.

I will grant you your second argument -- get a team full of good players and you win.... ;-)

I get your argument...I think where we differ is whether you consider Landry's value strictly as a slot receiver?

I do not...he is a playmaker, leader and inspirational leader...he is a punt returner...he is a football player.

The only real football player we have at receiver IMO.

Parker is not one...Stills is a deep threat but not much else...Grant has the potential to be an interesting weapon, but not a football player.

Landry's value far exceeds slot receiver money IMO.

Amazing that people here complain about t-dumb( I do too) but yet want to give Landry #1 which is something t-dumb would do......sure, lets just keep over paying for everyone. It has worked so well

Ozzy rules!!

I get your argument...I think where we differ is whether you consider Landry's value strictly as a slot receiver?

Exactly -- I value and want to pay Landry as a slot. A good slot, true, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a slot receiver for a reason and in our offense, the slot value isn't at a premium.

I
I do not...he is a playmaker, leader and inspirational leader...he is a punt returner...
Yes, he does stand out on occasion. The questions are: does he stand out enough and when he does, is it game changing?

... he is a football player.
That would imply that he's constantly improving his craft, like being really good at knowing route options and running really great routes. Something his coach doesn't seem to see.

I
The only real football player we have at receiver IMO.

you mean "only real football player by *my standards* and on the sidelines". We don't see what goes on behind closed doors. For example, as a leader, how did he get on AA about being a better teammate? Whatever he did or didn't do, it didn't work.

Parker is not one...Stills is a deep threat but not much else...Grant has the potential to be an interesting weapon, but not a football player.

Again, passing judgement without data. You might be right, but there really isn't a way to know

Landry's value far exceeds slot receiver money IMO.

And here is the nub of things. I think he is a very good slot and should be paid as a very good slot. But good slots aren't paid as much as top outside and #1 receivers -- for a reason. Top receivers are a threat to get into the end zone from anywhere on the field, not just the red-zone.

I don't think Landry is on the team next year and i wouldn't be too sad if he's gone either. You already paid stills and I think Parker will be better value for the future. I give Carroo a shot at slot which I think he is better suited for. Not to mention Grant has shown he can make plays when his name is called. I wouldn't stress keeping a slot receiver who is gonna cost #1 receiver money.

That said I'd prefer a tag and trade over just letting him walk.

Back
Top Bottom