My Kingdom for a Free Safety | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Kingdom for a Free Safety

Can't fill every need in 1 draft. And we won a lot of games (albeit ugly) without Jones on the field with a complete sh** storm secondary. It should at least be better, and hopefully better run support now.

I would have preferred Gerry over Godchaux. With such a deep safety class, I thought there would be value late but it seemed a lot of the value safeties went earlier than expected.

Obi v Kwon will be fun to watch and debate over their careers.

I have to say I don't agree. We actually addressed the safety position during FA. while you may not agree with it, they clearly focused on the future of the front seven, and they have a lot of youth in the secondary.

Going into the draft, you just knew Miami wasn't going to be able to fill all of their needs. I honestly thought that linebacker would be left out because that position has been devalued by the Dolphins for year and years.

I also would have loved to see the team draft a safety, especially with the talent at that position. Miami also still needs a slot corner to match-up with the Julian Edelman's of the NFL world.

That's not to say I'm not happy with the draft. Of course, time will tell.

We filled every need but Safety. You can't fill every single team need in one draft class. I'm sure we will be eyeing the top safeties in next years draft.

We made two free agent acquisitions to hold down the safety position.

Dmac

It seems a lot of us are forgetting that our biggest problem on defense was stopping the run, not defending the pass. No team has every hole filled. We got by with Abdul-Qudus and I think we have a similar talent in Allen, and possibly a better talent in McDonald although he's a more of an in the box safety. Do we even know what Burke wants out of his safeties?

The comparison to the LB unit is also way off.

So you read the forums just to be a cheerleader? When fans post to express an opinion, it's just that, an opinion. I've posted many opinions in support of the coaches, the players, and the front office, and I've posted many opinions expressing concerns with the same. You want fans to "stop whining"? Stop whining about simple forum posts that express opinions about the team that are contrary to your opinons.

By all means, have your opinion. That doesn't mean your opinion can't come across as whiny though.

None issue just read the names that are at free safety, Jones, Mcdonald, Thomas, and Allen, Aikens and how many do they need.

You guys are right, you can't please everyone.

But these "everyone" you speak of have wanted a Mike for over a decade. I think it's time we stop kissing one end of the donkey hoping for a diamond to pop out the other end.

Much like last year when we were forced to take Tunsil, everyone finally realized the calm it gave the fans knowing we finally had drafted a franchise LT. Now, we worry about a guard or backup OL.

This reminds me of young couples in which the responsible financial needs of life are constantly ignored in favor or spending all of their money on frivolous wants. They keep swinging for home runs and striking out. It's not until they realize hitting singles and getting walks eventually drives in more runs.

We keep swinging hard for WR's, DE's, Safeties and Corners. Yet it is the middle of the field that is absolutely killing our defense. We keep going cheap on the problem. When we finally dedicate prime resources to acquiring a true franchise MLB, this defense will take off.

Remember the days when Zach Thomas was flying all over the field. He owned between the hashes. And it allowed the rest of the team to pressure the QB.

Our true priorities in this draft were MLB, OG and DT. DE was a distant 4th. And we didn't need to waste additional resources on WR. That 7th would have been a prime position to draft a potential future C to replace the most injured player on our OL. Jon Toth from Kentucky was prime candidate for the picking in the 7th. Solid as a rock and has anchored UK for 4 years. Perfect size and mobility. Excellent technique.

That is why people regard the 5th as great round for us. We got great value at positions of need. But that 1st round pick was used like a luxury pick. Much like Dion Jordan. Now, Harris had better hit or this decision will impact several drafts to come.

Forrest Lamp was the pick at 22. Then Asiata in the 5th and Toth in the 7th. There's your OL for the next decade fellas. The Offense would have been set for a very long time.

It is only hard when you ignore the easy.

We're a Cover 2 defense and the defense will be a two year project. We're in year number one under Burke and Gase's vision for it and they did a helluva job so far in addressing it's primary needs.

Don't disagree that safety needs help, but if you go into the draft trying to address every problem on the team, then surely some better picks will be missed (meaning some picks will be compromised because you're drafting for position) . I like that they stop-gapped it in the offseason and surely next offseason they will focus on young talent at S barring someone taking over the position with authority.

Before the draft, I wrote that Safety was not going to be a priority because the position is one of the least important on a defense. I'm going to stand by that, and write that the front office seems to agree.

The modern NFL is about pass rush and tight coverage. The Safety is a complimentary position, and we have a really good one in Jones... we can afford for the other to be average while we get our house in order.

Unfortunately there is no appeal coming per his agent.

Translation: that was his second strike thus the 8 games.

Also, people should keep on mind that we can't expect him to be totally ready on week 9. He's not allowed to practice with the team during the season for the first 8 weeks. He'll need to work out on his own which is fine but timing matters and he'll have to be able to get back in "football" shape so trying to be realistic here, week 10 is when it'll start to come back to him. Then we have week 11 for our bye so he might be the starter by week 12 but before that I'd expect him to get snaps but probably a little limited the first couple of weeks.

Ozzy rules!!

We're a Cover 2 defense and the defense will be a two year project. We're in year number one under Burke and Gase's vision for it and they did a helluva job so far in addressing it's primary needs.

Some people just want it all now. I think who we have will be serviceable. Edge Rusher & Linebacker were our biggest needs.

Dmac

Back
Top Bottom