My Kingdom for a Free Safety | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Kingdom for a Free Safety

Before the draft, I wrote that Safety was not going to be a priority because the position is one of the least important on a defense. I'm going to stand by that, and write that the front office seems to agree.

The modern NFL is about pass rush and tight coverage. The Safety is a complimentary position, and we have a really good one in Jones... we can afford for the other to be average while we get our house in order.

That hurt to read. Ugh.

A safety makes the coverage calls, aligns the DBs and is the last line of defense. That statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Adam Beasly from the Miami Herald talked about this specifically with Grier and Tannenbaum. I don't love the answer, but I understand their thinking in the way the board fell. It's a chain reaction. If Harris hadn't been there at #22, perhaps they take one of the trade down offers. That may have put them in a position to take one of their preferred safety choices AND also get McMillan. I don't think the FO anticipated the run on safeties as early as it happened.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article147712394.html

Also, people should keep on mind that we can't expect him to be totally ready on week 9. He's not allowed to practice with the team during the season for the first 8 weeks. He'll need to work out on his own which is fine but timing matters and he'll have to be able to get back in "football" shape so trying to be realistic here, week 10 is when it'll start to come back to him. Then we have week 11 for our bye so he might be the starter by week 12 but before that I'd expect him to get snaps but probably a little limited the first couple of weeks.

Ozzy rules!!

Generally speaking you are correct but we are talking about a guy that is fully healthy. He will still be practicing. He's simply coming off a suspension. Come week 9 he should be hungry to play.

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

That hurt to read. Ugh.

A safety makes the coverage calls, aligns the DBs and is the last line of defense. That statement couldn't be further from the truth.

We all saw what happened with Rambo out there last year. It was ugly. That guy took the worst angles i've ever seen.

Dmac

Going into the draft, you just knew Miami wasn't going to be able to fill all of their needs. I honestly thought that linebacker would be left out because that position has been devalued by the Dolphins for year and years.

I also would have loved to see the team draft a safety, especially with the talent at that position. Miami also still needs a slot corner to match-up with the Julian Edelman's of the NFL world.

That's not to say I'm not happy with the draft. Of course, time will tell.

Couldn't have stated it better. With the number of picks and the holes to fill, something was going to go unaddressed. Picking someone at a position that you don't believe has what you want isn't a good way to draft. I'm hopeful we can find a better FS option before the season starts. TE was also not addressed, although I don't think they believe it is a great need this year.

I would have LOVED for Malik Hooker to drop to us. Once I saw those rumors a few days before the draft, it blew my mind he could fall. Then the idea of the Fins taking him really got me excited. Then...along come the Colts. And probably several others teams between 15-22. I don't believe Safety was our biggest need, but a chance at Hooker would have put him at the top of my list. That said, with him being gone, the draft worked out well the rest of the way. I like the potential of McDonald, but I'm also hoping another FA or worth shakes loose. If we get two QUALITY safeties back there, we can shut some stuff down with the corners we have now. Yes Nickel is a little weak...etc. There are always holes. Fins did well with what they were given.

Before the draft, I wrote that Safety was not going to be a priority because the position is one of the least important on a defense. I'm going to stand by that, and write that the front office seems to agree.

The modern NFL is about pass rush and tight coverage. The Safety is a complimentary position, and we have a really good one in Jones... we can afford for the other to be average while we get our house in order.

In Seattle's defense, FS Earl Thomas is probably their most important player.

I don't see how Grier and Tannenbaum can be so happy with their offseason while ignoring a major hole in the defense. This feels exactly like 2 years ago when linebacker was ignored and we brought in a slew of backend talent...Hull, Vigil, Luc, Hewitt....in a desperate attempt to find a diamond in the rough. How do these guys not see the GAPING HOLE which is our safety position? Look who we're trotting out next to Reshad Jones.

Nate Allen - oft injured and rapidly aging veteran
TJ McDonald - good downhill support, but a liability in coverage; oh yeah, and he's missing for the first half of the season because of suspension
Michael Thomas - special teams ace, but on his best day he's Chris Clemons 2.0

This is why some of us are very iffy on this draft. It's not that the players we picked aren't quality talents. It's the fact that Grier and Tannenbaum seemingly ignored a very big hole in our defense when they had enough cap space and enough draft capital to address the problem.
keep in mind we had a lot of holes to fill. I suspect the FO believed that LB, D-Line and Guard were bigger issues than S. Would have been nice to have the picks given up for Carroo but that ship had sailed. We have Jones coming back - that will make a huge difference vs last year.

In one draft and offseason you can't fill EVERY need. Miami got 2 band-aid's at safety. They can worry about a long-term answer next year. Compared to the trash we had on the field last year Allen and McDonald are friggin all stars!!

could have in this draft easily, they didn't even try and they were offered trades that would have filled those holes, imagine if they were trying, you're right about the last part though.

Adam Beasly from the Miami Herald talked about this specifically with Grier and Tannenbaum. I don't love the answer, but I understand their thinking in the way the board fell. It's a chain reaction. If Harris hadn't been there at #22, perhaps they take one of the trade down offers. That may have put them in a position to take one of their preferred safety choices AND also get McMillan. I don't think the FO anticipated the run on safeties as early as it happened.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article147712394.html

they would have probably taken taco if harris wasn't there, both bad picks, they wanted taco too, they'll never wisen up, its like saying if this and that and this and that and this weren't available MAYBE we would have traded down which means never, its not how they draft. Safeties went late for how good they were in this draft, Qb, rb, and wr went way too early which pushed a lot of the safeties farther than they should have been.

Not every position every season is going to be perfect. And actually, they did address the position. They signed Nate Allen (who is meh), and signed TJ McDonald (who will be back for the second half of the season). If all else fails, Michael Thomas has shown he can play some quality snaps in a pinch.

Michael Thomas can play snaps in a pinch. Quality? He and Rambo played the worst safety I've seen since 2007 with Cameron Worrell or 2006 with Traveres Tillman. It was BAD. And I really like the job Rambo was doing early on.

could have in this draft easily, they didn't even try and they were offered trades that would have filled those holes, imagine if they were trying, you're right about the last part though.

Shoulda' coulda' woulda'. The only thing that matters is what happened. Besides Hooker and M.Williams who were the projected, because nothing is absolute, "long-term" answers at FS?

Back
Top Bottom