My Opinion:Tony Sparano gave a clue to who is a top of MIA's draft board!!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Opinion:Tony Sparano gave a clue to who is a top of MIA's draft board!!!

pancakebunnyur9-1.jpg

I'll raise you a Squirrel with his nuts in his hands!!

clear.gif

And a brusky;

nutwitchy5-1.jpg

And afterwards...a Pizza party;

Wait so Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano like quarterbacks ?
They think the QB position is the most important ?

Am I supposed to be shocked or amazed. Sure they think QB is important, they would be fools not to. It still doesn't mean they are drafting Matt Ryan.

If the Dolphins were going to draft Matt Ryan, they wouldn't have tried to install the perfect offense for John Beck to run by trying to hire a guy whose mentor was John Beck's mentor and who recruited Beck to BYU.

The pick will be either Chris Long, Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey or Vernon Gholston.

I hope its Dorsey!!!!

Watching Beck play in Miami last season three things were obvious. First, he wasn't ready to play yet. Second, he had obvious ability. Third, he improved considerably from his first game to his last. If you couldn't/can't see those three things then you should probably refrain from talking about QBs to avoid looking foolish. I've spent some time as an evaluator myself but let Here is an evaluation from one of our resident coaches in the VIP that I felt was very accurate:

"Some things that I noticed in the video on Beck....

- He has great "touch" on his throws
- He makes quick decisions that tend to be correct
- His receivers arent having to slow down to catch the ball (it's been a long time since we've had that)
- He has some mobility
- He can be dangerous when given time
- very accurate
- He does not have a slow release, in fact it's pretty quick
- He plays with emotion

- He is throwing off of his back foot too often, and appears comfortable doing it. That means he has a bad habit to break.
- Related to throwing on his back foot, he needs to gain confidence in his protection and step up into his throws for ever greater accuracy (which could be scarey in terms of how good he could be) and to improve throwing strength / power. Once he locks into that mode of confidence and steps into his throws, I think he's going to make huge gains into being a quality Pro QB."

(I hope he doesn't mind me displaying his post. I won't reveal him just in case he doesn't feel the desire to enter into this very silly debate)

Additionally the reports that were leaked out right after the season were that Ron Wolf, who sat with BP in the press box, gave BP a positive evaluation of Beck. That BP, after reviewing the season tapes, was surprisingly impressed with Beck. This was closely followed by the hiring of Lee to mentor Beck, which is what you would expect if the reports were true. Most recently, Gil Brandt who has been a long time confidant of BP's and who has a pretty solid reputation as an evaluator himself, reported that he spent several hours with BP and that BP had a very high opinion of Beck and that he didn't think the Dolphins would take Ryan.

All I can say is wow, what were you watching.

Does Dwight Stephenson mean anything? Duper, Clayton, Moore, the killer B's? AJ duhe?

I can go on. Marino never had a void of talent like we had on offense or defense.

Yeah, Marino did play on some great teams. He also played on some not so great teams. He played on teams where the best receiver he had was Irving Fryar in the twilight of his career. He played on teams that had NOBODY at running back. He played on teams with defenses that were ripped through like a hot knife through butter. But you're right. None of those teams were as bad as the team we had last year. And do you know why? Because we had DAN MARINO on the team! Put John Beck or Cleo Lemon on those teams I mentioned and they might have went 0-16. Posts like this show just how much some on this board underestimate the importance of the quarterback position.

Yeah, Marino did play on some great teams. He also played on some not so great teams. He played on teams where the best receiver he had was Irving Fryar in the twilight of his career. He played on teams that had NOBODY at running back. He played on teams with defenses that were ripped through like a hot knife through butter. But you're right. None of those teams were as bad as the team we had last year. And do you know why? Because we had DAN MARINO on the team! Put John Beck or Cleo Lemon on those teams I mentioned and they might have went 0-16. Posts like this show just how much some on this board underestimate the importance of the quarterback position.

Marino was never, and I repeat never on a team half as bad as this team was last year. Go back and look at the Oline's he had, they may not have been great run blockers but they were always great pass blockers. Dwight, Webb and again, I can go on. I won't even compare the defenses, butcause last years was the worse we ever had. Marino was great, I'm not taking anything away from him, but your not looking at the teams he was on truly if you think he was ever on a team like last years.

I have no problem with you wanting Ryan, but at least state some facts instead of this stuff.

when you post please use logic and truths

#1 Sparano also said that if he had to go back further on players to watch tape he would.
#2 Not getting Pace makes a stronger case for C Long, not the other way around since we didnt fill a need in the coaching staffs eyes.
#3 I am going back to watching the NCAA tourney so I am not going to keep breaking this down, but please don't bend the truth or play connect the dots anymore.

If the Dolphins were going to draft Matt Ryan, they wouldn't have tried to install the perfect offense for John Beck to run by trying to hire a guy whose mentor was John Beck's mentor and who recruited Beck to BYU.

Thank god! Someone with credibility! If i say it, it's one thing, but...remember Mr. Ed, Boom nailed the Ginn pick, as for a couple other vets here, that still amazes me.

I also find it funny how Marino keeps getting brought up. Its like Ryan can't stand on his on merit so we here Beck is no Marino, or Marino would have won more games.

People, Marino is retired, there will never be another Marino, so we need to get over that.

If you want Ryan fine, talk about Ryan not Marino.
If you want Beck, fine talk about Beck, not how bad Ryan is.

I'll say it for the 1000 time, I'm not against drafting another QB, just not Matt Ryan.

I just read something interesting that made a good point, namely the silence regarding Beck's status. One would think that if the plan was to go with Beck as the starter, Parcells would have named him the starter already. Now its one thing to say that we're going to have competition for the QB position. But think about it. Compete with who? McCown, a journeyman backup? Consider the interest we have shown Ryan, Flacco and Henne. Is that all an elaborate smokescreen to keep people guessing? Are we spending all this time scouting five or six quarerbacks just so someone thinks we're going to draft Ryan?

The more likely scenario is Parcells realizes that we have no answers, just questions at QB. Going forward he has to have the QB position settled. We will bring Ryan in for an interview soon. By that time I would expect us to have finished reviewing all his 650 passes and to have a solid understanding of whether he's for us. Although the Ryan doubters feel that there is no difference or at least very little difference between Ryan and the rest of the group, there seems to be a pretty good consensus out there that there's a sizable falloff from Ryan to the second tier. Add in the fact that its possible the second tier might be gone by the time the 2nd round rolls around and you are looking at us possibly filling the most important position with a third tier QB if we pass on Ryan

Parcells secrecy makes it hard for any of us to know what's going on behind the closed doors but the continued silence reagrding Beck's starting status and the continued interest we're showing Ryan makes it likely that if Parcells and company feel Ryan can be a franchise QB the job will be his. I think Chris Long is the default pick that we take if we have doubts about Ryan. If Parcells and company are sold on Ryan he becomes the pick

You know what Miami's biggest problem is... fans who expect a rookie like Beck to be as good as one of the greatest passers ever!
PS please pick some OL early Bill/Jeff etc. Worse case.. a run on OT in 1st round means we have no-one left or reach for a 3rd grade player instead of BPA. I wanted Dorsey- now I want Jake (if you think he's good)!
PS Thanks Boomer- I always look for your comments

I really doubt the Fins build from BYU roots. They hired the former offensive cord from Arkansas as well so you should at least keep your logic consistent and say they will draft McFadden. But your agenda seams to be seeping in when you say they will draft, whoever (but McFadden)

I'm thinking more and more they will draft Ryan unless they get a blockbuster trade offer, which I doubt will happen. I seriously doubt Atlanta is willing to sell the farm for a QB while the Vic damage is still being tallied.

I believe, like alot of people that the offensive line is a very important part if a team (as is the defense) but it is also split up between 5-6 components and when it comes down to it I just don't believe any of those single components are (a) worth the 1st pick in the draft or (b) nearly as important as a skill guy that will have his hands on the ball 15-20 times like a McFadden or 50 times like a Ryan.

OK......you run with your opinion, I'll go with what I've been told.

Don't doubt that someone told you that, but its very possible that they put it together from an opinion. I just dont get if they wanted to install a certain offense why Carmichael would have been the only guy to install that offense, in fact they could have hired Gary Crowton as offensive coordinator who has actually has more experience as an NFL coordinator and has done it at the NFL level. Sparano and Carmichael have worked together before in the NFL so it seems more likely that Sparano would have some say in his own staff. I just don't see him or Parcells changing thier entire offensive philosophy based on John Beck already being here. It would also seem that they would have chosen a differant guy at backup than McCown. Dan Henning's history of offense's seems quite differant than any offense that Gary Crowton has ran. I just don't see the logic in that.

1.Scenario #1 Sparano and Parcells hire offensive coordinator based on Carmichael having worked with Gary Crowton at La Tech. Crowton recruited
Beck and tutored him for part of his college career. Why not hire Crowton or Robert Anae who have actually worked with Beck, especially Crowton who has been an offensive coordinator at the NFL level with the Bears.

2.Scenario number 2. Sparano worked with Carmichael in Cleveland and Washington and wants to get a coach that he is familiar with and has worked with.

with Parcells here scenario number two is the only one that makes sense.

I just read something interesting that made a good point, namely the silence regarding Beck's status. One would think that if the plan was to go with Beck as the starter, Parcells would have named him the starter already. Now its one thing to say that we're going to have competition for the QB position. But think about it. Compete with who? McCown, a journeyman backup? Consider the interest we have shown Ryan, Flacco and Henne. Is that all an elaborate smokescreen to keep people guessing? Are we spending all this time scouting five or six quarerbacks just so someone thinks we're going to draft Ryan?
The pay off for a trade down would be huge, so yes I could see them doing so. Ryan is shooting up draft boards, so yes they are scouting him just in case he is what he is supposed to be, however, having said that, what one can not omit is the weakness of this qb class which you mention in your next paragraph. Just because someone is number one in their position does not make them worthy of a number one pick.

The more likely scenario is Parcells realizes that we have no answers, just questions at QB. Going forward he has to have the QB position settled. We will bring Ryan in for an interview soon. By that time I would expect us to have finished reviewing all his 650 passes and to have a solid understanding of whether he's for us. Although the Ryan doubters feel that there is no difference or at least very little difference between Ryan and the rest of the group, there seems to be a pretty good consensus out there that there's a sizable falloff from Ryan to the second tier. Add in the fact that its possible the second tier might be gone by the time the 2nd round rolls around and you are looking at us possibly filling the most important position with a third tier QB if we pass on Ryan
Beck is not marino, of course parcells is not going to name him the starter. We will probaly draft another qb in later rounds to offer the air of competition. BP would have to be an idiot to think we are set at the qb position, however, desperation breeds bad decisions and I believe BP will look at the whole situation objectively and not out of desperation. If we choose ryan it is because he was a franchise qb, something I have yet to hear any proof of on this board.

Parcells secrecy makes it hard for any of us to know what's going on behind the closed doors but the continued silence reagrding Beck's starting status and the continued interest we're showing Ryan makes it likely that if Parcells and company feel Ryan can be a franchise QB the job will be his. I think Chris Long is the default pick that we take if we have doubts about Ryan. If Parcells and company are sold on Ryan he becomes the pick
Chris Long is a franchise defensive player. Just because we have question marks at the qb position does not mean you pass or reach. We also have many question marks on defense, something that failed us big time last year. I do not see how you can assume that one outweighs the other especially when we have seen great defenses can win championships, even with mediocre qbs.

Back
Top Bottom