NFL Network: Miami Dolphins: Most underrated/overrated players of all-time | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Network: Miami Dolphins: Most underrated/overrated players of all-time

again, 3 1/2 sacks against Marino from 1985-1992 when the majority of those games were against OL other than Webb. This is more about Marino than Webb as good as Webb was.

Thanks Junc, good to see you are showing the greatness of Marino, and how many thing he did, that even all time great QB could not do, but Webb was a very good L-Tackle.

Marino did have a knack of sliding in the pocket and avoiding sacks. i believe we were usually top five in least sacks allowed during most of the Marino years.
Webb was a big part of that as well.

Junc i might go after you guys hall of famers but there are not many to choose from :idk:

Thanks Junc, good to see you are showing the greatness of Marino, and how many thing he did, that even all time great QB could not do, but Webb was a very good L-Tackle.

Webb was really good.

Marino is one of the best ever, I think he kind of gets underrated b/c of not winning a SB(think of how the perception of Elway changed b/c he got TD and won 2 SBs). I hated Marino(much like I hate Brady- hate in a football sense not real life) but I admired him and I loved watching him play(except against us).

Marino did have a knack of sliding in the pocket and avoiding sacks. i believe we were usually top five in least sacks allowed during most of the Marino years.
Webb was a big part of that as well.

Junc i might go after you guys hall of famers but there are not many to chose from :idk:

good job fixing that typo, I ws going to crack a Weeb joke(one of our HOFers:D).

I think Griese is unappreciated (by most fans in the league) more than underrated. He has been recognized by his accomplishments.

Mercury Morris played behind Csonka, end of story.

As far as underrated goes, I can't recall many fans outside of our fanbase recognizing Sam Madison or OJ McDuffie. We watched them play, and I think those two guys were underrated.

In regards to players being overrated, I think Sean Smith. The guy dropped a lot of should-be interceptions, and I believe he was overpaid. Most overrated of all time? I don't know, but he is who sticks out to me at this moment.

Sam Madison belongs on the ring along with Surtain.

I think Griese is unappreciated (by most fans in the league) more than underrated. He has been recognized by his accomplishments.

yea how is he underrated being in the Hall of Fame and all ???

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Sam Madison belongs on the ring along with Surtain.

Sam and Pat were the best CB combination in Dolphin history and it's not even close. Sam and T buck would probably be second.

Could be the most overrated player in Miami Dolphins history... Also based on the pro bowls he went to in which he definitely didnt deserve
Jake Freaking Wrong belongs top of that list! With the myth of the Elite Franchise Left Tackle!

There was no dropoff? Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

That team doesn't win the 1972 AFC Championship game if Bob Griese doesn't come into the game.

Old enough to drink and vote when that game was played.
How many games did they win with Morrall?

Old enough to drink and vote when that game was played.
How many games did they win with Morrall?

11 , Bob went down against San Diego in the fourth game of the season.

Griese came in to win the the AFC championship game and started the Superbowl.

[video=youtube_share;p1zLVcqT800]http://youtu.be/p1zLVcqT800[/video]

5 min mark Griese comes back.

wes welker overrated? they mentioned his receiving stats but he was great on special teams, sometimes it takes some special teams guys awhile to come into their own as a WR (ex Steve Smith)

I don't consider Welker to be Dolphin's player anymore than I would consider Brett Favre to be a NY Jet.

i gotta say, i always felt webb was a bit under-rated. perhaps my memory doesn't serve me correctly, but phil hansen and jeff wright were as much, if not more of a thorn in marino's side than bruce was when matched up against webb. we all know the best way to fluster a qb like marino or now with brady, get a quick push up the middle, give them nowhere to step up.

Griese was rated logically during his playing days. Somehow during the Marino years it became fashionable to downplay Griese's accomplishments and value.

Bill Stanfill is the most underrated player in team history.

Jason Taylor is one of the very few players from recent years who earns heavy consideration toward the all-time franchise team. I'd have him at end along with Stanfill. IMO, it's silly nitpicking to downgrade Taylor based on certain games. He had immense ability. Ability is a trump card. Stick him on a franchise all star team and that ability will transfer to plays in the fourth quarter and in the playoffs and everywhere else. If you are downgrading sheer ability in preference to someone who supposedly fared well against certain teams or caliber of teams, that type of forced analysis is destined to fail. Line them up and one guy is simply better. This is a case where the public is light years more informed and with superior big picture instincts than the wise guys who are determined to knock Taylor.

Overrated -- Bryan Cox. He was a good player, but made so many boneheaded penalties by losing his cool. Didn't play well in big games either. I'm surprised Shula put up with him.

Underrated --- The No Name Defense. Pretty much every member of that unit was underrated. That defense didn't allow a touchdown in Super Bowl VII and allowed one fourth quarter score in Super Bowl VIII. Both years, the Dolphins were #1 in total defense. Yet, when today's experts talk about great defenses they rarely mention this group.

Honorable Mention underrated -- Jim Jensen -- Loved that he did everything well. Just a great player to have on a team.

Offerdahl was underrated? I'm not sure but he was the top lb in the game when he played. He was a beast.

Back
Top Bottom