NFL Network: Miami Dolphins: Most underrated/overrated players of all-time | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Network: Miami Dolphins: Most underrated/overrated players of all-time

Webb played in Miami from 1990-2000, Smith in Buf 1985-1999 so they crossed paths from 1990-1999.

Smith sacks against Miami:
1990- 0
1991- DNP
1992- 1 in reg season
1993- 2
1994- 1
1995- 0
1996- 1
1997- 3
1998- 1
1999- 3

12 sacks in 18 games. prorated over a 16 game season that's 11 sacks a year which isn't great but it still very good against a top LT. This doesn't tell us how many fumbles he caused, how many sacks cause, how many hurries, etc... but just by sacks Webb certainly didn't own Smith. he did a nice job but Smith still had the upper hand.

OK genius, that stat shows sacks vs Miami, not sacks vs Webb.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolphinsteamwebb07a,0,1327093.story

I hated those teams. It was common for us to beat them in our first meeting, which would get my hopes up thinking that was the year, then they would kick our asses when it counted (2nd game with division on the line or playoffs). Those teams were nasty and really should have beaten the Giants in the SB.

They passed the torch to NE though. There was a game in 1995 or 1996 where a young NE went into Buffalo to face the vaunted Bills in a game that would pretty much decide the division title. The aging Bills jumped out to a 14-0 lead and it seemed like business as usual until a young Drew Bledsoe put up 31 unanswered points. That was the classic type of "changing of the guard" game I'd like to see us have with the Patriots in Foxboro in 2013 or 2014. One can dream!

My facts are wrong. the game i'm thinking of was 41-17 NE and it was in 1994. Buffalo, led by Frank Reich jumped out to a 17-3 lead then NE had 38 unaswered points. We actually won the division that yesr but that was the end of the great Bills teams of the early 90's and is still the type of dream game I'd love to have with the 13 or 14 Patriots in Foxboro. Starts out looking like business as usual and turns into us kicking their asses and becoming the new big kid on the block.

Last edited by a moderator:
ha ha...nice try zounds...i bet that doesn't account for the postseason massacres we endured either every year in buffalo...and thank god for marinos quick release or those sack #'s would be much higher...

bruce smith owned us...

http://www.o-lineworld.com/profiles/blogs/richmond-webb-hall-of-fame

from the article:

Richmond Webbs array of accolades are noteworthy but his shining achievement thus far is being bestowed the honor of protecting the blind side of Hall of Fame Quarterback, Dan Marino. To some this may not carry much weight but when your team is in the same division as Hall of Fame defensive end Bruce Smith, the person you choose to match him up against twice a year becomes a weighty issue. In a 14 game (7 seasons) span Bruce Smith had 3.5 sacks against the Dolphins versus 88.5 in 79 games against other teams. I’m no math major but if those 79 other teams had a Richmond Webb on their line, Bruce Smith wouldn’t be sitting in Canton.

from the article:

Richmond Webbs array of accolades are noteworthy but his shining achievement thus far is being bestowed the honor of protecting the blind side of Hall of Fame Quarterback, Dan Marino. To some this may not carry much weight but when your team is in the same division as Hall of Fame defensive end Bruce Smith, the person you choose to match him up against twice a year becomes a weighty issue. In a 14 game (7 seasons) span Bruce Smith had 3.5 sacks against the Dolphins versus 88.5 in 79 games against other teams. I’m no math major but if those 79 other teams had a Richmond Webb on their line, Bruce Smith wouldn’t be sitting in Canton.

i'm reading it...but i'm not believing it...i just don't ever recall thinking richmond webb is dominating bruce smith...ever...but i guess it's possible given the carnage everyone else was creating on that buffalo team i gave him too much credit...i still don't believe it though...that doesn't match my memory of things

i'm reading it...but i'm not believing it...i just don't ever recall thinking richmond webb is dominating bruce smith...ever...but i guess it's possible given the carnage everyone else was creating on that buffalo team i gave him too much credit...i still don't believe it though...that doesn't match my memory of things

i do remember it because it was our only positive against that team during their golden days.

Webb admitted Smith was his hardest opponent and i don't know if he was doubled or schemed against but Richmond almost always won those battles.
I would imagine the Fins went all out to stop the hall of famer.( maybe the guy on the other side ate us up ???)

OK genius, that stat shows sacks vs Miami, not sacks vs Webb.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolphinsteamwebb07a,0,1327093.story

You do realize that article is from 1993, right? bruce Smith didn't play in 1991 so that is 2 years worth of games for Bruce against Webb. Most of bruce's games against Miami were against a LT other than Richmond Webb. Those 3.5 sacks(id true, I'll look it up to make sure) against Miami were from 1985-1992, Webb became a dolphin in 1990. marino wasn't an easy guy to sack b/c of great footwork and that quick release, that says more about him than the guys Bruce was matched up w/.

i do remember it because it was our only positive against that team during their golden days.

Webb admitted Smith was his hardest opponent and i don't know if he was doubled or schemed against but Richmond almost always won those battles.
I would imagine the Fins went all out to stop the hall of famer.( maybe the guy on the other side ate us up ???)

does that account for postseason matchups also??? that just doesn't jive with my memory...marino got hit a lot by bruce as i recall it...

from the article:

That blurb(14 games has 3 1/2 sacks) is the same from the other article from 1993 that zounds posted. Sounds like regurgitated, misleading info as that was Bruce's 14 games against Miami from 1985-1992 and he only faced Webb 5 games in that span. Again, it was more about marino's excellent footwork and quick release than about who was trying to block Bruce Smith.

Thurman Thomas....screen pass....Thurman Thomas....draw.... He was truly a nightmare.

Like I said, Bruce had some good games against Webb, Webb had some good games against Smith.

I do remember during that time that I did think Miami had the only linemen that owned Smith in Webb, but started taking a closer look at games and noticed there were times Smith was having good games against Webb or whomever was lined up against him. It went back and forth a lot.

again, 3 1/2 sacks against Marino from 1985-1992 when the majority of those games were against OL other than Webb. This is more about Marino than Webb as good as Webb was.

Back
Top Bottom