NFL Network Report on Tua's Contract Extension | Page 62 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Network Report on Tua's Contract Extension

Does Tua sign a new deal and for how much a year?

• Yes 30-35 mil a year

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Yes 35-40 mil a year

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Yes 40-45 mil a year

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Yes above 45 mil a year

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • No plays out 5th year to bet on himself

Votes: 27 24.8%

• Total voters
If I were the Dolphins, I would offer up to $45m with 2 years guaranteed. If he doesn't sign I let him play on his 5th yr option. I focus on building the OL. If Tua is who we hope he is, then it only helps him. If he isn't then we are in a good place for whoever comes next. The OL is the spinal cord of success!
Bingo. I love Tua, I think he's a good QB and he had a pretty decent year. However, watching him completely disappear in big games this year was pretty concerning to me. I thought one of his good traits going into the year was his "clutch gene" and he proved me dead wrong with that...he is not clutch. While he's probably a Top 10 QB in the league right now, I have my doubts he can win a Super Bowl and that's what it's all about. I wouldn't commit more than 2 more years to him without seeing more from him, so this is an ideal scenario.

If I were the Dolphins, I would offer up to $45m with 2 years guaranteed. If he doesn't sign I let him play on his 5th yr option. I focus on building the OL. If Tua is who we hope he is, then it only helps him. If he isn't then we are in a good place for whoever comes next. The OL is the spinal cord of success!
Not bad. I think they will almost have to guarantee three though at that price. All your points are valid concerns and SHOULD be taken into account by TT and his team, but they won't. They are going to try to maximize value. With that said, the past few QB contracts have all had pretty high guarantees, personally I would like to see us come in lower than those because of said concerns. If anything start tacking on LARGE incentives for Pro Bowl, all Pro and per game bonus', but your numbers are fairly good in my eyes. If it's above 45/135 I'm out as well and he can shoot for the moon this year or sit out and really shoot himself in the foot.

Bingo. I love Tua, I think he's a good QB and he had a pretty decent year. However, watching him completely disappear in big games this year was pretty concerning to me. I thought one of his good traits going into the year was his "clutch gene" and he proved me dead wrong with that...he is not clutch. While he's probably a Top 10 QB in the league right now, I have my doubts he can win a Super Bowl and that's what it's all about. I wouldn't commit more than 2 more years to him without seeing more from him, so this is an ideal scenario.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, most are going to point out the injuries to the Oline and his lack of pass protection are the reasons for this.

Jeff Darlington went on WQAM and poured cold water on a Tua contract extension. He believes he will play under the fifth year option.
Wouldn't shock me at all. He stayed healthy last year, but that was one year. Can he do it again next year? That remains to be seen...

Whether it was true or not, there was chatter on Tua retiring last year. That chatter was most likely bullsh*t, but the fact it even came up as a somewhat believable option is troublesome. If you're Ross and the Dolphins, you need to see him stay healthy for another year to believe he's worth dishing out $200 million worth of guaranteed money.

Wouldn't shock me at all. He stayed healthy last year, but that was one year. Can he do it again next year? That remains to be seen...

Whether it was true or not, there was chatter on Tua retiring last year. That chatter was most likely bullsh*t, but the fact it even came up as a somewhat believable option is troublesome. If you're Ross and the Dolphins, you need to see him stay healthy for another year to believe he's worth dishing out $200 million worth of guaranteed money.

The injury **** is so tiring and just wrong. He had one year with concussions and that’s it. The other games his first two years he was held out by Flores. If you don’t believe me feel free to look up Elandon Roberts caught on camera consoling a visibly upset Tua vs the Texans telling him “it’s coaching” when he played Brissett over Tua that was fine to go. Shouldn’t be a shock after the stories of how Flores was loudly against Tua.

These narratives are just wild….

That's pretty big news if true
I wouldn't go so far as to say "mouthpiece", but Darlington does have connections and has far more credibility than 95% of the other so called "sources" that ppl use around here.

One shouldn't judge a statement/report by whether or not it agrees with one's own view.

The injury **** is so tiring and just wrong. He had one year with concussions and that’s it. The other games his first two years he was held out by Flores. If you don’t believe me feel free to look up Elandon Roberts caught on camera consoling a visibly upset Tua vs the Texans telling him “it’s coaching” when he played Brissett over Tua that was fine to go. Shouldn’t be a shock after the stories of how Flores was loudly against Tua.

These narratives are just wild….
It's not completely wrong, the injury history is there dating back to his Alabama years, but you could argue it has been exaggerated. Either way if you're looking to commit long term, I wouldn't blame the organization if they took a wait and see approach on the 5th year.

He’s in bed with the owner and the head coach. He’s the mouthpiece for the team.

No, I am not denying that.

I am referring to the quoted word " believes"

Is there more to why he " believes" it?

I understand it's semantics. But there is a big diferrence to "believes" and " it appears"

Is there a link to the interview/ discussion. Would like to know why he believes it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom