NFL Network Report on Tua's Contract Extension | Page 63 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Network Report on Tua's Contract Extension

Does Tua sign a new deal and for how much a year?

• Yes 30-35 mil a year

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Yes 35-40 mil a year

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Yes 40-45 mil a year

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Yes above 45 mil a year

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • No plays out 5th year to bet on himself

Votes: 27 24.8%

• Total voters
I was listening to the interview:

He doesn't say "he believes he will play under the fifth year option." Darlington says it's his opinion that he wouldn't extend Tua. He makes it very clear it's HIS opinion. Very different.

Darlington is connected to the team, what that answer indicates to me is Grier, McDaniel, and Tua are in make or break seasons coming up.
As it should be. Pretty sad that between Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts and Burrow, I doubt any of those 4 teams would trade their QB for Tua straight up and he was the 2nd QB drafted. That's your draft class and that's who you will be compared with, among others but certainly those 4. He's got a long way to go to earn his money, if he is even capable of getting there.

Last edited:
Darlington is connected to the team, what that answer indicates to me is Grier, McDaniel, and Tua are in make or break seasons coming up.
Do you believe someone else is making the decisions?

I ask because if Grier and/or McD are, wouldn't they be better off giving Tua a contract so they have more $ to spend in their make or break year? The only way I can mentally connect those dots is if they are not calling the shots.

Do you believe someone else is making the decisions?

I ask because if Grier and/or McD are, wouldn't they be better off giving Tua a contract so they have more $ to spend in their make or break year? The only way I can mentally connect those dots is if they are not calling the shots.
They are not calling the shots. Stephen Ross is calling the big shots like Tua's contract extension, he's the boss and it's his money. And he knows all 3 of them could be gone in less than a year. None of those 3 have any leverage in 2024, the die has been cast.

Last edited:
His reporting is usually accurate..and believe this will be as well. It makes absolute sense.
It was mostly just him speculating but it’s important to point out that he’s in bed with the owner and has been close friends with McDaniel for 20 years. No one knows the inner workings of the team better than Darlington.

They are not calling the shots. Stephen Ross is calling the big shots like Tua's contract extension, he's the boss and it's his money. And he knows all 3 of the could be gone in less than a year. None of those 3 have any leverage.
Possible but unlikely, IMO.

If that is his plan and view, we would be better off not resigning anyone, no/few restructures and no FAs beyond vet min players.

Possible but unlikely, IMO.

If that is his plan and view, we would be better off not resigning anyone, no/few restructures and no FAs beyond vet min players.
We won't be signing any big free agents other than our own. Our team is what it is in 2024, Tua got his 1 year extension already. If he wants to see another contract from Miami aka Stephen Ross, he's going to have to earn it. Beating up on creampuffs ain't gonna cut it in 2024.

We won't be signing any big free agents other than our own. Our team is what it is in 2024, Tua got his 1 year extension already. If he wants to see another contract from Miami aka Stephen Ross, he's going to have to earn it. Beating up on creampuffs ain't gonna cut it in 2024.
Big free agents? No, we have no $ for that. Mid tier is a different matter.

Letting Tua play out the option year would be my preference, but I do not believe it will play out that way.

Letting Tua play out the option year would be my preference, but I do not believe it will play out that way.
I think it will play out that way, and it is my preference as well. It's the logical decision imo. Time will tell.

Lots of nuggets in the mid-tier after the initial signings take place. Lets see what falls for the tree.....

Also, on Tua, I think the Fins believe in him and will extend him. This also can help with the immediate cap problem they are dealing with

They are not calling the shots. Stephen Ross is calling the big shots like Tua's contract extension, he's the boss and it's his money. And he knows all 3 of them could be gone in less than a year. None of those 3 have any leverage in 2024, the die has been cast.
mcDaniel has said before that Ross lets them run the team.....yes it's his money but there is a cap anyway so Ross can’t spend more than any other owner anyway.....they all have the same cap. Not saying Tua will get extend it or not but I doubt Ross will make them do one thing or the other.

mcDaniel has said before that Ross lets them run the team.....yes it's his money but there is a cap anyway so Ross can’t spend more than any other owner anyway.....they all have the same cap. Not saying Tua will get extend it or not but I doubt Ross will make them do one thing or the other.
I don't buy it. Ross is old and rich as hell, he wants to win right now just like Jerrah. He knows if the team has another disappointing season he may be blowing it all up. He's not going to OK giving Tua a super long and expensive contract extension just to protect Grier and McDaniel, when all 3 are skating on thin ice.

I would doubt McDaniel is in the same make or break territory. He's just doing the best with what he's been given.

Back
Top Bottom