NFL Network Report on Tua's Contract Extension | Page 64 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Network Report on Tua's Contract Extension

Does Tua sign a new deal and for how much a year?

• Yes 30-35 mil a year

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Yes 35-40 mil a year

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Yes 40-45 mil a year

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Yes above 45 mil a year

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • No plays out 5th year to bet on himself

Votes: 27 24.8%

• Total voters
As it should be. Pretty sad that between Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts and Burrow, I doubt any of those 4 teams would trade their QB for Tua straight up and he was the 2nd QB drafted. That's your draft class and that's who you will be compared with, among others but certainly those 4. He's got a long way to go to earn his money, if he is even capable of getting there.
Given all circumstances, there's certainly not much gap between those QB's right now.

I don't buy it. Ross is old and rich as hell, he wants to win right now just like Jerrah. He knows if the team has another disappointing season he may be blowing it all up. He's not going to OK giving Tua a super long and expensive contract extension just to protect Grier and McDaniel, when all 3 are skating on thin ice.
Except that for the first time since Ross became owner we have an exciting team, we are a playoff team for back to back seasons, and despite what some think we are seen as "relevant" nationally.

I also think his age, if relevant at all, would indicate a "win now" mindset rather than another bottom up rebuild, which would likely take 4 or 5 years.

The perspective you portray is only one possible scenario.

Do you believe someone else is making the decisions?

I ask because if Grier and/or McD are, wouldn't they be better off giving Tua a contract so they have more $ to spend in their make or break year? The only way I can mentally connect those dots is if they are not calling the shots.
someone made the call to stupidly insert a rookie qb coming fresh off a catastrophic hip injury when we had a vet qb that had galvanized the team and had them playing over their heads.

bet money it wasn't flore's call.

Except that for the first time since Ross became owner we have an exciting team, we are a playoff team for back to back seasons, and despite what some think we are seen as "relevant" nationally.

I also think his age, if relevant at all, would indicate a "win now" mindset rather than another bottom up rebuild, which would likely take 4 or 5 years.

Stephen Ross turns 84 years old this May.

Wouldn't shock me at all. He stayed healthy last year, but that was one year. Can he do it again next year? That remains to be seen...

Whether it was true or not, there was chatter on Tua retiring last year. That chatter was most likely bullsh*t, but the fact it even came up as a somewhat believable option is troublesome. If you're Ross and the Dolphins, you need to see him stay healthy for another year to believe he's worth dishing out $200 million worth of guaranteed money.
Not only that but Tua needs to be able to play better against good teams and get better at the off script plays.

As it should be. Pretty sad that between Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts and Burrow, I doubt any of those 4 teams would trade their QB for Tua straight up and he was the 2nd QB drafted. That's your draft class and that's who you will be compared with, among others but certainly those 4. He's got a long way to go to earn his money, if he is even capable of getting there.
Yeah because they've been all so much better...

1708556174419.png

I was listening to the interview:

He doesn't say "he believes he will play under the fifth year option." Darlington says it's his opinion that he wouldn't extend Tua. He makes it very clear it's HIS opinion. Very different.

Yup, exactly what I thought.

Thanks for posting this

View attachment 161254
Hurts and Burrow have gotten their teams to a Super Bowl and Love won a playoff game this past season. That alone puts them ahead of where Tua is at right now. Burrow is a true franchise QB and the jury is still out on Hurts and Love long term but the same thing can be said about Tua as well.

View attachment 161254

Last 2 year’s probably a better indicator considering it’s a better judgement in current system. It’s also a better indication on where Tua might be heading. Everyone wants to get so wrapped up in accomplishments however that’s only 50% of why you sign someone. The other 50% is future accomplishments and there might not be a player more improved than Tua the last two years to the point where he’s arguably looked the best out of the 4.

IMG_7665.png

Darlington is connected to the team, what that answer indicates to me is Grier, McDaniel, and Tua are in make or break seasons coming up.
No different than any year no matter who's coaching or who's quarter backing

Its always a make or break season for us racing with the lions and they are one up on us

Hurts and Burrow have gotten their teams to a Super Bowl and Love won a playoff game this past season. That alone puts them ahead of where Tua is at right now. Burrow is a true franchise QB and the jury is still out on Hurts and Love long term but the same thing can be said about Tua as well.

Burrows great but 50% IR rate is rough. I also find it funny how Tua gets crap for his weapons yet not a peep about Burrow being even deeper at wideout with Chase/Higgins/Boyd than a great back in Mixon. Higgins and boyd are free agents and Chase wants to be paid 35 million a season. Funny how his backup stepped in and played pretty well almost got them into the playoffs if Burrow didn’t put them in such a hole beginning of the year trying to play hurt on his busted calf.

Hurts is good but plays with one of the best olines, great wideout duo and fantastic defense. Not to mention NFC is super weak. Last two years have been either maybe the most complete teams in the league in the 9ers and eagles with whatever of them was healthier.

Love played great last half of the season but again super weak NFC. What’s the best qb in the NFC fall in qb wise? 8th best in the league. Any team with an average qb is making the playoffs.

Not to mention the whole team success is just so stupid. One player doesn’t win games. By this logic Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer/Doug Williams/ Nick Foles> Dan Marino/Fran Tarkenton/Jim Kelly and every starting qb currently not named Mahomes or Stafford maybe Wilson but who knows what happens with him.

Burrows great but 50% IR rate is rough. I also find it funny how Tua gets crap for his weapons yet not a peep about Burrow being even deeper at wideout with Chase/Higgins/Boyd than a great back in Mixon. Higgins and boyd are free agents and Chase wants to be paid 35 million a season. Funny how his backup stepped in and played pretty well almost got them into the playoffs if Burrow didn’t put them in such a hole beginning of the year trying to play hurt on his busted calf.
Agreed that the WR trio Burrow has had is never used against him. Disagreed that Mixon is anywhere near a 'great back' as he has averaged 4.0 ypc over the past two seasons and might be a cap casualty this offseason. For comparison purposes, Mostert is averaging 4.9 ypc in that same time period.

Ross isn't micro-managing the team. He interferes less than most owners and his checkbook is always open. And as you said, everyone is under the same CAP limits. I find it funny that so many blame Ross and think he is behind every decision. Ross has made 1.5 blunders during his tenure (courting Harbaugh during Sparanos time, and the Brady boat meeting) and it was only a blunder because he was caught.

Back
Top Bottom