No extra 6th round pick from the Colts | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No extra 6th round pick from the Colts

Dolphins get just one pick Vontae Davis Indianapolis Colts

It was reported as a Philbin's decision to move the guy, but Ireland's deals keep getting worse and worse...

[h=1]Vontae Davis to cost Colts just 1 pick[/h]
The Indianapolis Colts wound up getting cornerback Vontae Davis from the Miami Dolphinsat a discount.
The Colts acquired Davis before the season for a second- and conditional sixth-round pick. The condition on the sixth-round pick was that Davis play in 65 percent of the Colts' plays during the regular season, according to a league source.
But a sprained left knee sidelined him for enough of the season that Davis played just short of the 65 percent threshold and now the Dolphins only will get the Colts' second-round pick, according to sources.
Davis, 24, finished the season with 51 tackles and three interceptions. He has 12 interceptions in his four-year career.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...-pick-vontae-davis-indianapolis-colts-sources

Vonte Davis was buried on the depth chart and was not seeing the field of the preseason anyone know why? Was that Jim Ireland making that decision or was that the coaching staff regarding VD in the preseason?
Vonte Davis needed to play 10.4 games to get the sixth round round draft pick Davis played only 10.
I was not happy with the trade either

That was coach Philbin employing tools in an attempt to motivate Davis, who was having a slow start in camp. He was starting to come out of it in the preseason and the game he had against Steve Smith seemed to fire him up. The man lost his brother over the summer and he's young and yea he does have some maturity issues. I'm not saying he deserves special treatment, because the coaching staff sure wasn't giving him that . . . but some understanding of his situation could have helped keep one of the most talented CB's in the NFL on this team . . . ironically a team looking for CB's.

Even when Jeff approached Philbin about trading Vontae on Hard Knocks, when he asked Joe Philbin about what he felt about Vontae . . . Joe said "I like him, I like him alot" . . . then Jeff said "I got a couple of picks for him" and Joe was like well if you feel its best do what you do.

Everybody knew Vontae Davis was the best CB on this team . . . thinking Richard Marshall or even Sean Smith were better based on preseason depth charts doesn't mean anything. Hell Jason Allen was ahead of Sean Smith for a few weeks in the regular season before Smith overtook him and Allen was cut. Different coaches uses different tools to motivate players.

But a sprained left knee sidelined him for enough of the season that Davis played just short of the 65 percent threshold and now the Dolphins only will get the Colts' second-round pick, according to sources.

"played just short of the 65 percent"

Is it just me, or anyone else suspicious of that bastard organization? probably were tracking the percentage the whole time.... that they would willingly sideline Vontae to avoid paying the 6th rounder?

That was coach Philbin employing tools in an attempt to motivate Davis, who was having a slow start in camp. He was starting to come out of it in the preseason and the game he had against Steve Smith seemed to fire him up. The man lost his brother over the summer and he's young and yea he does have some maturity issues. I'm not saying he deserves special treatment, because the coaching staff sure wasn't giving him that . . . but some understanding of his situation could have helped keep one of the most talented CB's in the NFL on this team . . . ironically a team looking for CB's.

Even when Jeff approached Philbin about trading Vontae on Hard Knocks, when he asked Joe Philbin about what he felt about Vontae . . . Joe said "I like him, I like him alot" . . . then Jeff said "I got a couple of picks for him" and Joe was like well if you feel its best do what you do.

Everybody knew Vontae Davis was the best CB on this team . . . thinking Richard Marshall or even Sean Smith were better based on preseason depth charts doesn't mean anything. Hell Jason Allen was ahead of Sean Smith for a few weeks in the regular season before Smith overtook him and Allen was cut. Different coaches uses different tools to motivate players.

If Philbin demanded that Vontea be moved then it is what it is. If Ireland did it all on his own then he's even dumber than I could have ever imagined.

If Philbin demanded that Vontea be moved then it is what it is. If Ireland did it all on his own then he's even dumber than I could have ever imagined.

I'm pretty sure if Philbin said "no I want to keep this guy" . . . Ireland would have probably backed off . . . but I don't believe for a second that Philbin said "I want Vontae gone, make it happen". I think Philbin knew that Vontae was a talented CB who had some issues and was doing his best to get the best out of his abilities. Anybody with half an eye could see that Vontae was the most talented CB on this team, and was only a young 24 year old who had a tough offseason with personal issues in his family.

It could end up being fine, but I can't sit here and believe we will find a solid replacement or even use that 2nd round pick to its fullest capabilities.

Vontae has been nothing short of shut down for the past three weeks. He would've had 4 INTs in the last two games alone if not for one of the worst PI calls i've ever seen. He shut down who ever he was covering in the Ravens game. He seems to be getting his act together. I really wish he had a bit better hands though. He could've had a pick 6

Got a 1st rd talent at CB who's only 24 for a low 2nd rd pick. You decide who won the trade.

Got a 1st rd talent at CB who's only 24 for a low 2nd rd pick. You decide who won the trade.
hes in a contract year starting now.. if he stays in Indy than it was a pretty good trade, if he goes to San Fran... than maybe it wasnt worth it.
always hard to judge a trade after a few months. But so far the Colts got a pretty damn good deal.

VD will never be a pro bowl cb. He will never be anything more than a 1st round bust, who was selfish, unfit, unmotivated. If any team wants to offer up a 2nd and possble 6th for a player like that on a team, take the trade.

the colts will not get a lot of value for money with him. To say (as some clown did) that he was unmotivated because of the regime he played for, thats crap. he is supposedly a professional sportsman, earning millions when playing a sport. His attitude comes down to being a selfish piss head who couldn't giuve a shi7 about his team or team mates

We did. For the second year in a row he came into camp out of shape and struggled to get into shape and for a 24 year old that's pathetic in today's NFL. We got the best value for him.

We did. For the second year in a row he came into camp out of shape and struggled to get into shape and for a 24 year old that's pathetic in today's NFL. We got the best value for him.
You obviously have not watched him the past couple of weeks. He got into shape, took his head out of his ass, and actually showed his true potential. Pagano was a secondary coach, every team he coached had a great secondary. Davis said himself he's the best coach he's ever worked with. The trade will pay off in a year or two. I'm pretty sure Ireland will shank that 2nd rounder anyways..

VD will never be a pro bowl cb. He will never be anything more than a 1st round bust, who was selfish, unfit, unmotivated. If any team wants to offer up a 2nd and possble 6th for a player like that on a team, take the trade.

the colts will not get a lot of value for money with him. To say (as some clown did) that he was unmotivated because of the regime he played for, thats crap. he is supposedly a professional sportsman, earning millions when playing a sport. His attitude comes down to being a selfish piss head who couldn't giuve a shi7 about his team or team mates
Thats because the team he played for lacked discipline and motivation for him. He's been great for the Colts as of late. Being a complete shut down corner the past 3 weeks (fully healed after his injury and getting comfortable in the scheme).

This is the problem with finheaven posters.... davis has a game with multi ints, (one and obvious gift from schaub), and ppl on here fall back in love with the kid.
I'll be watching davis next year, and ill be surprised if we talk about him much.

Back
Top Bottom