Noel Devine kicked off team | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Noel Devine kicked off team

rob19 said:
I hope he goes to UM. He's a great player, and i pretty much agree with what kdawg954 and crowder52 have been saying. I know alot of people who live in the fort myers area and they tell me he's a really bad kid, he got girls pregnant, dosnt go to his classes and gets horrible grades. Like i said, i hope he goes to UM and turns around his behavior, and makes the most of his potential.
he was a Hurricane fan growing up in Ft. Myers..hopefully he signs with the
neonu-1.gif

305TillIDie said:
he was a Hurricane fan growing up in Ft. Myers..hopefully he signs with the U

That be pretty sick, noel AND james. It worked pretty good for USC, we could run the ball 50 times a game.:lol:

Crowder52 said:
He will make the university much more money than he will cost them. That is a way to "earn the right" to enroll in the university. Kids go to college not only to excel in academics, but also in extracurricular activities.

Bottom line: both the college and the player benefit. Simple as that.

That is EXACTLY what is wrong with your POV. College is SUPPOSED to be education first, not just a stepping stone to use to get to the pros. Basically, both the player AND the school are wrong. The player is going to college knowing that he has absolutely no intentions of earning a degree and he's just there to try and get noticed and thus get a bigger pro contract, and the school is wrong because they are allowing it to be that way just because a certain athlete will bring more face time for their team and possibly more success, and thus more money. They are both just using each other for personal gain, they neither have the other's best interest in mind.

Agent51 said:
That is EXACTLY what is wrong with your POV. College is SUPPOSED to be education first, not just a stepping stone to use to get to the pros. Basically, both the player AND the school are wrong. The player is going to college knowing that he has absolutely no intentions of earning a degree and he's just there to try and get noticed and thus get a bigger pro contract, and the school is wrong because they are allowing it to be that way just because a certain athlete will bring more face time for their team and possibly more success, and thus more money. They are both just using each other for personal gain, they neither have the other's best interest in mind.

What an idealist you are. Who cares if they have each other's best interest in mind? The final result is that both are better off.

And the player has to use college as a stepping stone because of NFL rules. They can't go straight to the NFL and there is no "minor league" like there is in baseball. The NFL is actually set up so that these kids can't make a living at what they excel in until a certain point in time. If you want to blame someone, blame the NFL, but not the kids who are doing what they have to do.

And can we please let go of the "education first" nonsense. If a kid doesn't excel in math or history, but in football, than it only makes sense for him to pursue a career in that field. And if he wants to play in the NFL, he must first play in college. The NFL has made the system what it is, and colleges aren't complaining, because they are making millions upon millions every year from it.

Crowder52 said:
What an idealist you are. Who cares if they have each other's best interest in mind? The final result is that both are better off.

And the player has to use college as a stepping stone because of NFL rules. They can't go straight to the NFL and there is no "minor league" like there is in baseball. The NFL is actually set up so that these kids can't make a living at what they excel in until a certain point in time. If you want to blame someone, blame the NFL, but not the kids who are doing what they have to do.

And can we please let go of the "education first" nonsense. If a kid doesn't excel in math or history, but in football, than it only makes sense for him to pursue a career in that field. And if he wants to play in the NFL, he must first play in college. The NFL has made the system what it is, and colleges aren't complaining, because they are making millions upon millions every year from it.

You don't have to go to college first. There are plent semi-pro leagues set up throughout the US that willingly accepts 18 year olds. He could go play football for them for 3 years, and work at a stop gap job(and help pay some child support in the process) rather than going to a university, and making a mockery of higher education.

And the NFL doesn't allow people to enter the league prior to 3 years after graduating high school for a couple reasons. One being physical development. It would be too difficult for almost every player to jump from HS football to the NFL. Another reason is that the NFL wants players who go to college to gain a degree so that they have something to fall back to, and ultimately those with degrees (should) have a better head on thier shoulders as they are more understanding of the real world and how much work life requires. It's the same reason the NBA made thier one-year rule, they are hoping that student-athletes make better decisions with thier lifes, rather than jumping prematurely to something that may not work out.

And the "education first" mentality is not nonsense. They are called student-athletes for a reason. Universities are there to further a person's education, hence them being known as institutions for higher education. Education refers to more than just what you get out of a book.

Stitches said:
You don't have to go to college first. There are plent semi-pro leagues set up throughout the US that willingly accepts 18 year olds. He could go play football for them for 3 years, and work at a stop gap job(and help pay some child support in the process) rather than going to a university, and making a mockery of higher education.

And the NFL doesn't allow people to enter the league prior to 3 years after graduating high school for a couple reasons. One being physical development. It would be too difficult for almost every player to jump from HS football to the NFL. Another reason is that the NFL wants players who go to college to gain a degree so that they have something to fall back to, and ultimately those with degrees (should) have a better head on thier shoulders as they are more understanding of the real world and how much work life requires. It's the same reason the NBA made thier one-year rule, they are hoping that student-athletes make better decisions with thier lifes, rather than jumping prematurely to something that may not work out.

As stated before, there is no "minor league" for the NFL. Of course you can go to some joke of a league but you are going to get nowhere near the respect you would get for competing at the college level. I was referring to the lack of a minor league in my argument, I didn't suggest that most of these kids could go straight to the NFL.

Instead of all these charades, Stitches, can you simply give me a reason that Noel Devine shouldn't get to play for a big time college? If your reason is that you think it makes a mockery of the college, then I guess that's your opinion and I will respectfully disagree.

It gives the college exposure and earns money that is used to support the other sports at the school, mainly women's sports and lesser men's sports. Ultimately it makes for a more involved student body.

The school wins, the student body wins, and the athlete wins. The only people who gripe are the elitists who wag their fingers and look down on the athletes for not taking their academics as seriously as they had hoped.

Crowder52 said:
As stated before, there is no "minor league" for the NFL. Of course you can go to some joke of a league but you are going to get nowhere near the respect you would get for competing at the college level. I was referring to the lack of a minor league in my argument, I didn't suggest that most of these kids could go straight to the NFL.

Instead of all these charades, Stitches, can you simply give me a reason that Noel Devine shouldn't get to play for a big time college? If your reason is that you think it makes a mockery of the college, then I guess that's your opinion and I will respectfully disagree.

It gives the college exposure and earns money that is used to support the other sports at the school, mainly women's sports and lesser men's sports. Ultimately it makes for a more involved student body.

The school wins, the student body wins, and the athlete wins. The only people who gripe are the elitists who wag their fingers and look down on the athletes for not taking their academics as seriously as they had hoped.

I don't have a problem with him playing at a big time school, so long he were able to prove that he was capable enough in the classroom to deserve the education that is fully available to him at a big time school. I understand he is amazing at football, but when you have someone who struggles in high school(where the classes are already geared towards the lower students, meaning you can succeed so long as you put in at least some effort), I don't think that should entitle them to such a great education, simply because they have good physical abilities. As I said, they are called student-athletes for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom