o-gun to be on espn news in 5 minutes | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

o-gun to be on espn news in 5 minutes

Or better yet ... call his bluff and when he comes back .. make him play on nothing but special teams.

He may be simply a mouthpiece for Rosenhaus. I wonder what he really wants. Maybe this, don't know. I do know that the lack of offers speaks volumes, and indicates RS is doing the right thing. I remember reading something that said if he sits out the 1st 10 games, his actual salary would only be about a third of the current tender. I say call the bluff, and let him do himself in by sitting out. This is merely a bluff to try and get RS to unload him to a team with cap space. We don't have it. Most importantly however, we cannot sign another D player to a massive contract right now.

2 questions:

In order to become an UFA, I understand the rule to be that the player must play in 6 games. Does that mean that if he's inactive, just rides the bench, or gets hurt and doesn't actually take a snap in 6 games, that he's still ours? Additionally, is there any reason we don't/can't tag him for 2005?

I want him to stay, but I think getting Chambers a contract is more of a priority. We still need some depth at OLINE as well.

pilotfish said:
2 questions:

In order to become an UFA, I understand the rule to be that the player must play in 6 games. Does that mean that if he's inactive, just rides the bench, or gets hurt and doesn't actually take a snap in 6 games, that he's still ours? Additionally, is there any reason we don't/can't tag him for 2005?
As long as he's on the roster and physically able to play, it doesn't matter whether he's active or inactive......the only reason we wouldn't tag him is because the tag would be so high, other than that, they could do it if they want.

OGun has put himself in a very bad position...If he had just voiced this to the Dolphins, there's a good chance he would have been dealt by now. However, with all the dirty laundry that has aired already, most teams feel they can get him for far less than market value and RS is not about to do this. I say if the guy doesn't want to play...we should hire Tonya Hardings old boyfriend to take him out at the knees and give him a good reason to sit. I used to be a fan of OGun...but see him as nothing but a crybaby now....he's all about me and not about the team at all.

inFINSible said:
As long as he's on the roster and physically able to play, it doesn't matter whether he's active or inactive......the only reason we wouldn't tag him is because the tag would be so high, other than that, they could do it if they want.
Just curious.
Has anybody done the math regarding either a transition or franchise tag?

he'd only get roughly 417K if he didn't take the tender before the beginning of the season (or whatever the cut-off date is, preseason, what have you). Then that'd be pro-rated and he'd be paid for 6 games. This has been discussed in the papers and on this site for the past several months. Anyone remember the exact date please chime in....i'm at work and my brain's fried somewhat...

His 1.8mill tender DOES expire (bodzilla) if he doesn't sign before then, and his salary drops, even if he played the whole year (but say signed after week 1). You are correct, however, on that if we don't sign him when he wants to, he becomes a UFA and anyone can pick him up for the remainder of the season.

I don't understand why the fight for a contract. What does that mean to the team and to the player? Suppose the Phins sign him to a 6yr contract for X amount of dollars. This season he does squat, let's say 3 sacks. The team can cut him at seasons end, right? What would the team owe him, monetarily, if they cut him 1 yr. into a 6 yr. deal?

He will look like a jackass if D. Bowens and J. Williams are racking up close to as many sacks as he did last season.

pilotfish said:
Just curious.
Has anybody done the math regarding either a transition or franchise tag?
What was JT's number a couple of years ago?.....5 mill for the franchise tag?? Maybe more but, I could see the transtion tag being just as much now.

F150&Dolfan said:
He will look like a jackass if D. Bowens and J. Williams are racking up close to as many sacks as he did last season.
Good point....if they get even 5 a piece....that calls his "talent" into question.

fairbanksb said:
I don't understand why the fight for a contract. What does that mean to the team and to the player? Suppose the Phins sign him to a 6yr contract for X amount of dollars. This season he does squat, let's say 3 sacks. The team can cut him at seasons end, right? What would the team owe him, monetarily, if they cut him 1 yr. into a 6 yr. deal?
If he gets 6 million dollar signing bonus, I belive it would cost us 5 million to cut him after 1 season.

He wants a 10 million dollar signing bonus... :eek:

Mod: I know it's a pet peeve that can bother some people, but if I let that slide all heck wouldve broken lose, hopefully you understand - TT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom