Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread | Page 28 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread

Get Up And Go said:
We don't want him. He makes over 2 mil. this season. As far as I know the marlins aren't going to be willing to add payroll this season.

Doesn't mean we don't want him.

Anyway, when asked last weekend about whether or not Loria would authorize Beinfest to add payroll if the team could get close to .500, his answer was, "Come on, don't ask me that, you know the answer," grinning as he said it.

Well, in summary:

Deadline 2003 - Ugueth Urbina, Chad Fox, Lenny Harris
Deadline 2004 - Paul Lo Duca, Guillermo Mota, Juan Encarnacion, Ismael Valdez
Deadline 2005 - Ron Villone

Winter 2003 - Pudge Rodriguez
Winter 2005 - Carlos Delgado, Al Leiter

Loria's desire to win is both powerful and impulsive, and he has proven at all times of the year that he is willing to spend if it means wins.

Carl Crawford is just about the perfect fit, too. He can leadoff or hit down in the order, he can play with 5 tools, and his contract is long-term and fair, even though he isn't club-controlled. The rest of the contract, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts, is as follows.

05:$0.5M, 06:$2.5M, 07:$4M, 08:$5.25M, 09:$8.25M club option ($2.5M buyout), 10:$10M club option ($1.25M buyout)

For the rest of the season, we'd owe him about $1.5 million. Pay him next year, he's worth it. By 2008, we're in better financial straits, so we could probably pay him. 2009 and 2010 are both club options, and if you don't think he'd require a king's ransom on the open market if we decided to trade him at that point in his career, entering his prime, you're nuts.

It'd take a lot to get him, probably more than it would be worth to do so, so this is all probably moot. But damn, he takes this team immediately from a wonderful story to a legitimate contender.

What's this talk of Carl Crawford, is it speculation or what?

Fill me in, because this guy is a stud. I'd happily send Willingham & prospect(s) to Tampa Bay.

Blueprint said:

Fill me in, because this guy is a stud. I'd happily send Willingham & prospect(s) to Tampa Bay.

Speculation. But if Tampa decides they need pitching, we're a good place for them to look. And if they decide they want frontline pitching, Crawford's the guy we ask for.

Blueprint said:

all just talk becuase alex said he wouldnt trade a single Marlin player for a single rays player

Nappy Roots said:
all just talk becuase alex said he wouldnt trade a single Marlin player for a single rays player

Nappy you should not listen to anything I say during a series, because its often homerific, but what I have to say before a series is usually dead on

Anyway good game....no-one deserved to win it really, but Tampa deserved to win more.....actually id put it like this

Tampa didnt deserve to win, but we definitly deserved to lose, some crazy stuff happend.....very strange game

Got the Sox tonight, hopefully we can take 2 games but im not counting on it

3-0 Marlins heading to the bottom of the second

Recap so far

We sent 9 batters to the plate in the first, Dontrelle has retired their first 6 hitters

Tomorrow will be a tough one....I hope Moehler gets hurt the first pitch and Anibal Sanchez comes in to pitch the whole game...that kid needs to be our starter NOT MOEHLER.

Anyway its good to take game 1

2nd place! and we did it by beating the hottest team in baseball, great job Marlins

Can only jump 1 team at a time, tonight was Phili

next up in the Wildcard race - The Arizon Diamondbacks

.5 games behind them

Ah, it was a beautiful thing tonight. Really enjoyed quieting the Sox fans down. Mikey and Alex got nice ovations.

Let's do it again tomorrow! We can hit Wake if the knuckler goes flat.

And Sanchez is starting Wednesday in Washington in place of Moehler, per the team site.

RWhitney014 said:
Ah, it was a beautiful thing tonight. Really enjoyed quieting the Sox fans down. Mikey and Alex got nice ovations.

Let's do it again tomorrow! We can hit Wake if the knuckler goes flat.

And Sanchez is starting Wednesday in Washington in place of Moehler, per the team site.

I want to see how the young guys hit a knuckle ball....its either going to be a very long night of a very good one

Either they will say 'hey this thing is coming at 70 MPH' and slam it all over the place....or miss completly and look like rookies.

Should be interesting

Alex44 said:
I want to see how the young guys hit a knuckle ball....its either going to be a very long night of a very good one

Either they will say 'hey this thing is coming at 70 MPH' and slam it all over the place....or miss completly and look like rookies.

Should be interesting

I doubt any of them have ever seen a knuckle ball pitcher before. There are very few in baseball, even the minors. Like you said, should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom