Official 2013 Miami Dolphins Training Camp Thread. | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2013 Miami Dolphins Training Camp Thread.

It's good to see Kheeston Randall developing enough to get 1st team looks. He was an underrated draft pick, who got somewhat overlooked in the draft process. I'm getting a sense that Odrick and Randall are going to both play big parts in the DT rotation.

thats another day or practice over.... Mike Wallace getting a lot of passes, and no interceptions today.

No practice tomorrow though :(

I loved what Sapp said about Reshad Jones.

"He can cover like a CB"

He will get resigned at the end of the year.

Todays pictures

tempDENX0472--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

http://www.miamidolphins.com/index.html

i've heard some scuttlebutt that there are some concerns about jon martins feet at left tackle within the building...

Not good, what are the alternatives at this point? It's early but I hear of him getting beat in camp much more often than tyson Clabo who is blocking Cam Wake. Martin is getting beat by guys other than Cam, it's nerving. Do you believe in Marin at LT?

Although I would love to hear that our offensive line is dominating all day every day. I can't say i'm too worried at this point. My question to everyone is honestly will we face any team this entire season with a better defensive line than our own? Sounds to me even a couple of our second year guys are really standing out as well as Vaughn Martin so not only do we have a top NFL defensive line we have very very good depth across the board there.

Not good, what are the alternatives at this point? It's early but I hear of him getting beat in camp much more often than tyson Clabo who is blocking Cam Wake. Martin is getting beat by guys other than Cam, it's nerving. Do you believe in Marin at LT?

We are 3 days into camp, relax. Martin has got beat a few times by Vernon its not as bad as you are making out. Give the line time to gel.

on NFLN sapp says tannehill looks like a 5 year vet and is in full command of the offense and said hartline looked great all day

Although I would love to hear that our offensive line is dominating all day every day. I can't say i'm too worried at this point. My question to everyone is honestly will we face any team this entire season with a better defensive line than our own? Sounds to me even a couple of our second year guys are really standing out as well as Vaughn Martin so not only do we have a top NFL defensive line we have very very good depth across the board there.
^^^ this, our defensive line is pretty damn good, the Jills also have a pretty good line and we'll face them twice but I don't see our line struggling against the other two teams in our division and looking at the schedule it doesn't look like we're facing superior talent week in and week out.

i guess i'll look at this one question at a time...alternative wise i don't think clabo can man the left side he's a right tackle all the way to me so i would say that ones' out...the next option in camp is probably dallas thomas...but i doubt we'd go there unless martin just fell off the table in the preseason...as for outside sources i really haven't paid much attention to whats on the street at left tackle what veteran etc but if i saw a lot of bad tape from martin in the first few preseason games i would definitely consider other options...but...

i can only go on what i saw last year with martin being that i have no camp stuff to take a look at yet...and what i saw last year was most of his issues were a product of a lack of upper body and core strength...he needed to get stronger probably in an ideal scenario he would have gotten last year to work on his body etc but we didn't have that luxury...he didn't have a great body...he's not a terrific move athlete on the left side not a terrific athlete period really he doesn't have what i would call high end left tackle feet...but i do think he's serviceable...he overcommitted on his initial step at times last year and got off balance and opened up a wide variety of counter/redirect and power rush moves for the opposition at times...some of that probably was a function of less than ideal lateral agility and somewhat average feet but it seemed to always come back to me that he lacked strength and as a result was off balance a lot or trying to overcompensate...

i would expect that with this added weight he'd be a more effective straight ahead drive blocker and more effective in the run game period and not so susceptible to power rushes and more able to regather himself when he is off balance and anchor...i've only seen pics and some video but his body looks better to me more lean muscle despite the added weight gain looks like he's converted what last year i thought was a bit of a doughy look to lean muscle mass...i like his mindset he doesn't carry one snap in his head to the next and he's got a little bit of nastiness to him even though he's not a mauler by any means...with that added strength i would like to see more pop with his initial punch and able to get the oppositions player off balance and not so much letting the contact come to him and the player get into his pads...last year i thought he let the opposition dictate at times too much...

if olivier vernon is eating his lunch i'm a little concerned even if only 2 days into pads...i say that because while olivier vernon is a solid pass rush talent and i think more talented than he was probably given credit for last year from a get off and power stand point and a lateral agility aspect he's not an elite burst athlete he's more a power rusher...he doesn't bend and run the arc and beat you with burst around the corner much and there's plenty of guys on our schedule this year with serious pass rush tools on the edge...that said miami can always if they see some things they don't like and feel he needs help protect him as much as they can with rollng protections or chipping with a back etc to that side...i'm sure the preseason and early season showings will dictate if he can be trusted on an island or not...

me personally i am going to reserve judgement til i get to see some actual game tape in a week and a half and the next few preseason games before i decide if i feel like left tackle is gonna be an issue or alternatives need to be explored...

having a qb with solid backside pressure awareness like tannehill has will also help...

i guess i'll look at this one question at a time...alternative wise i don't think clabo can man the left side he's a right tackle all the way to me so i would say that ones' out...the next option in camp is probably dallas thomas...but i doubt we'd go there unless martin just fell off the table in the preseason...as for outside sources i really haven't paid much attention to whats on the street at left tackle what veteran etc but if i saw a lot of bad tape from martin in the first few preseason games i would definitely consider other options...but...

i can only go on what i saw last year with martin being that i have no camp stuff to take a look at yet...and what i saw last year was most of his issues were a product of a lack of upper body and core strength...he needed to get stronger probably in an ideal scenario he would have gotten last year to work on his body etc but we didn't have that luxury...he didn't have a great body...he's not a terrific move athlete on the left side not a terrific athlete period really he doesn't have what i would call high end left tackle feet...but i do think he's serviceable...he overcommitted on his initial step at times last year and got off balance and opened up a wide variety of counter/redirect and power rush moves for the opposition at times...some of that probably was a function of less than ideal lateral agility and somewhat average feet but it seemed to always come back to me that he lacked strength and as a result was off balance a lot or trying to overcompensate...

i would expect that with this added weight he'd be a more effective straight ahead drive blocker and more effective in the run game period and not so susceptible to power rushes and more able to regather himself when he is off balance and anchor...i've only seen pics and some video but his body looks better to me more lean muscle despite the added weight gain looks like he's converted what last year i thought was a bit of a doughy look to lean muscle mass...i like his mindset he doesn't carry one snap in his head to the next and he's got a little bit of nastiness to him even though he's not a mauler by any means...with that added strength i would like to see more pop with his initial punch and able to get the oppositions player off balance and not so much letting the contact come to him and the player get into his pads...last year i thought he let the opposition dictate at times too much...

if olivier vernon is eating his lunch i'm a little concerned even if only 2 days into pads...i say that because while olivier vernon is a solid pass rush talent and i think more talented than he was probably given credit for last year from a get off and power stand point and a lateral agility aspect he's not an elite burst athlete he's more a power rusher...he doesn't bend and run the arc and beat you with burst around the corner much and there's plenty of guys on our schedule this year with serious pass rush tools on the edge...that said miami can always if they see some things they don't like and feel he needs help protect him as much as they can with rollng protections or chipping with a back etc to that side...i'm sure the preseason and early season showings will dictate if he can be trusted on an island or not...

me personally i am going to reserve judgement til i get to see some actual game tape in a week and a half and the next few preseason games before i decide if i feel like left tackle is gonna be an issue or alternatives need to be explored...

having a qb with solid backside pressure awareness like tannehill has will also help...

Thanks, awesome write up.

I'm curious about Samuda getting some reps at RG, either they're not happy with Jerry, or... they may want to look at him at another spot...perhaps LT? As this is a spot I think he'd do well at.

I'm curious about Samuda getting some reps at RG, either they're not happy with Jerry, or... they may want to look at him at another spot...perhaps LT? As this is a spot I think he'd do well at.

Jerry has been taking all the first team snaps and some third team snaps, probably just giving him a break

i would disagree with any jerry at left tackle stuff...i like his feet and movement skills more at right tackle and guard than any left tackle stuff...but i guess that's always a try out option...i'd try dallas thomas there before i would jerry...and definitely not garner his left tackle run last preseason was a disaster

Back
Top Bottom