Official 2013 Miami Dolphins Training Camp Thread. | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2013 Miami Dolphins Training Camp Thread.

After visiting camp, Pete Prisco says Miami is an 8-8 team at best, thinks Tannehill holds onto the ball to long and the new logo is soft.

even NFL.com is talking bad about Omar Kelly.

It took three days of Miami Dolphins training camp before the first negative report about Mike Wallace came out. Perhaps the only surprise is that it took so long.

From the South Florida Sun Sentinel's Omar Kelly: "We're three days into training camp and the Mike Wallace factor hasn't been felt so far.

"Wallace hasn't roasted any cornerbacks deep.... YET. Without hitting we really can't tell his run-after-catch skills.....YET. And to be completely honest, Wallace doesn't have great chemistry with quarterback Ryan Tannehill....YET. That was evident the entire offseason."

It goes on from there, with Kelly comparing Wallace unfavorably to Brandon Marshall's first days in Miami. Dolphins cornerback Brent Grimes regularly has gotten the better of Wallace, per Kelly. Kelly also said Wallace is only the "fourth or fifth" most impressive new Dolphin this offseason.

"Speaking of Grimes, the former Falcons' coverage of Wallace since (organized team activities) either proves Grimes is back to his Pro Bowl status, or the Dolphins have paid way too much money for Wallace," Kelly wrote.

Kelly's article was written after three days of training camp and only one day of full-padded practices. Real football hasn't started. Saying it's a little early to evaluate would be a massive understatement. Kelly noted that Wallace hasn't caught a long pass from Ryan Tannehill during 11-on-11s dating back to organized team activities and minicamps, which is surprising. But it's July 24. None of this really matters.

The most interesting part of the article is that it was written at all. Wallace is a target now. Not just for opposing defenses, but for a rabid media and fan base that quickly could turn offseason hype into premature disappointment.

After visiting camp, Pete Prisco says Miami is an 8-8 team at best, thinks Tannehill holds onto the ball to long and the new logo is soft.

Yeah, just saw that. When I was younger and hung on to every word anyone would say about this team, I'd get steaming mad and curse them out when they'd spew stuff like this. Now I just laughed when I saw that at the bottom of his observations and clicked exit.

yeah prisco saw one day of practice and the d was unleashed blitz wise and tanny made a few quick bad decisions and held the ball confused...big deal...just one day...and the d showed em packages they weren't prepared for...

they got things they have to fix protection wise and tannehill has to recognize things at the los...fixable stuff

John Jerry is said to look very close to the 335 that he is listed at and apparently 330 is the weight the staff feel would be ideal for him as a long term starter

And saw this in Jacksons blog:

### Receiver Armon Binns made two outstanding catches – one from Devlin, another on a beautiful pass from Tannehill. And there were two impressive one-handed receptions --- by Jorvorskie Lane and Marcus Thigpen.

I know we have had a number of training camp stars who never worked out, but im starting to think Binns is pretty certain to be on that 50 man roster week1

Anyone else find it kinda strange that the team opens training camp and the owner is nowhere to be found?

Anyone else find it kinda strange that the team opens training camp and the owner is nowhere to be found?

He does have a billion dollar company to run you know. Frankly im glad when the owner stays in the background and lets the Dolphins staff run things, especially on the football side - just personal preference.

yeah it sounds more and more like gibson, mathews and binns are putting choke holds on wr spots...but we'll have to see how they handle different coverages in the preseason...philbin is big on separation at the position...talks about it all the time...guys have to be able to get off coverage...

i like it...anybody can make a play if coverage dictates it but can you get off press defeat the jam not get redirected in your route and can you make a db open his hips and transition from the pedal???

Its probably a tactical decision by Ross, he still wants that stadium $, and has already gotten into the politics side of it, and his advisors probably told him it's best to let the team operate without him as a public figure.

yeah it sounds more and more like gibson, mathews and binns are putting choke holds on wr spots...but we'll have to see how they handle different coverages in the preseason...philbin is big on separation at the position...talks about it all the time...guys have to be able to get off coverage...

i like it...anybody can make a play if coverage dictates it but can you get off press defeat the jam not get redirected in your route and can you make a db open his hips and transition from the pedal???

Lets say we keep Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, Binns and at TE: Keller, Clay, Simms, Egnew (for arguments sake lets say he has a productive pre-season as a pass cathcer and deserves his roster spot)

How many do you activate on game day?

I would also consider McNutt the wildcard in the WR race.

He does have a billion dollar company to run you know. Frankly im glad when the owner stays in the background and lets the Dolphins staff run things, especially on the football side - just personal preference.

He's attended the opening practice of every training camp since he bought the team except for this year.

Lets say we keep Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, Binns and at TE: Keller, Clay, Simms, Egnew (for arguments sake lets say he has a productive pre-season as a pass cathcer and deserves his roster spot)

How many do you activate on game day?

5 wides 3 te's keller clay sims...sims will be active and playing plenty cause he's the only guy capable in line...gonna see plenty of sims...egnew would be the inactive 4th unless keller or clay got injured...

none of those wrs or active tes for that matter special teams studs so you just activate another position of depths extra player that is....there is no marlon moore specials ace this year so u look for it elsewhere....ie maybe safety with kovacs if he proves to be

what i wouldn't be activating much is the lead fullback if i have to sacrifice something...so lane would be a likely unless i saw something on tape that i wanted to exploit with him inactive if he made the 53...and also why i didn't want leach here...not enough run if i'm activating 5 wide and 3 te's plus 3 rbs etc and thigpen

i could see them going with 4 wrs in some games possibly though given none of em can play specials...but then you are one injury away from having no depth in your 3 wr sets...what i don't think you'll see barring injury is anything less than 3 te's active...

Having watched every snap Tannehill's played in an actual game, I don't think 'holds onto the ball too long' is a criticism that concerns me.

Back
Top Bottom