Official 2013 Miami Dolphins Training Camp Thread. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2013 Miami Dolphins Training Camp Thread.

Yeah, if we're doing that, I'd rather say **** it and run out of single-back sets. I'm alright with the occasional I-formation with those guys . . . but I don't have a lot of faith in Keller or Clay as lead blockers from the FB position.

single back sets folks...and an h back for the duel threat ie keller and clay...true lead fullbacks give away too much...it's a no brainer

Good work by Armando:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

By the way, I think I figured out why the Dolphins didn't show greater interest in Vonta Leach for the start of his camp: Tight ends worked as lead backs quite a few times today. It was interesting to see Dustin Keller and Charles Clay in that role.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#storylink=cpy

Yessir! - I've mentioned this a few times over the past couple of months and really excited to hear about this. I really do think this is a match up nightmare for defences. There are numerous positives in both the run game and the pass game. Long may it continue!!!

Really stoked about this :)

with clay and kaller you have flex out potential mismatches and line up in the backfield options...will keep the defense from loading up to just stop the run and make em play more honest...you put vonta leach back there you could never flex him out and scare anyone...they will play the run all day long...and if you do get a play out of him off pa as a reciever it will be of the 3 yards in the flat dump off variety...

not to mention you can't go fast on o with a true lead fullback...that's assanine

Why? Reporters are free to say whatever they want after, the team ask people not to live tweet, seriously, so what?

I think you just made the point for the other guy...If they can write whatever they want after....why the hell does it matter if they do it at the same time? See what I mean?

I honestly don't even understand the point of keeping Carpenter around... If Carpenter stays, we wasted a 5th round pick. I guess they are just making sure Sturgis doesnt completely crap the bed, but still, if they had faith enough to draft him in 5th round, they should just cut Carpenter already.
I was thinking the same thing. maybe they can trade him to some who's kicker gets injured or falls apart in camp?

i'll say one more thing...if egnew isn't getting reps in that h back type role with keller and clay at some point thats more bad news for him...cause there's no way i will buy into he can play in line like they plan to use sims or did fasano last year...

i mean he has to get reps as a flex and hback option to make this roster as the 3rd te...if they want versatility and have it with clay and keller they better have it with egnew also

i'll say one more thing...if egnew isn't getting reps in that h back type role with keller and clay at some point thats more bad news for him...cause there's no way i will buy into he can play in line like they plan to use sims or did fasano last year...

i mean he has to get reps as a flex and hback option to make this roster as the 3rd te...if they want versatility and have it with clay and keller they better have it with egnew also

Hoops - I know we've got a similar view on the 11 formation. In respect to Egnew and Philbin's documented preference for bigger players in the slot, I suspect that we may in fact see some 12 package with the likes of Keller/Clay in the H-Back and Egnew in the slot. Takes advantage of his positives and masks his weaknesses. And with motion/alignment could provide some interesting match ups with Egnew on the outside.

Hoops - I know we've got a similar view on the 11 formation. In respect to Egnew and Philbin's documented preference for bigger players in the slot, I suspect that we may in fact see some 12 package with the likes of Keller/Clay in the H-Back and Egnew in the slot. Takes advantage of his positives and masks his weaknesses. And with motion/alignment could provide some interesting match ups with Egnew on the outside.

agreed...cause it sounds like both you and i don't think egnew as a h back in the backfield would pan out anyways...so yeah ideally he's flexed out and allowed to work in space where his lack of physicality and frankly toughness won't show as much....i said as much last year egnew will never pan out in line he's not as jack of all trades as clay and backfield capable as clay or keller if he's gonna make it it will be as a flexed out jacked up wr pretty much...but that weight at 262 lbs doesn't help the cause considering how he carried 251 last year...why the hell wouldn't they want to get him back to his soph year weight in college when he was sudden and did work flexed out in front of soft coverages and in short areas etc??? makes no sense...

this weight could be the death sentence...cause i dont care if he's 280 that guys never gonna block in pro football worth a damn...idealy you'd get him at 240 and try and get a poor mans aaron hernandez out of him...the more wieght he carries the harder it will be for him to get off coverage in space and separate in tight areas when flexed out...unless you think the weight will help him just man handle people...of which i have never seen even one glimpse of on any tape of his...college or pros...he's a very finesse player

I was thinking the same thing. maybe they can trade him to some who's kicker gets injured or falls apart in camp?
Tampa Bay might be a team to keep an eye on. Their kicker already got hurt and is out for the year and they just signed a guy off the street. Perhaps as preseason comes to an end they might be more interested in Carpenter then the guy they have.

Also, is Sturgis for some reason is really bad(highly doubt it though) or gets injured at least Miami has a fallback option with Dan.

Ive actually thought Egnew in the slot was an interesting idea since last season.

Physically he has everything you want and he has proven be can be an effective pass catcher. Why not just forget the blocking and just use him in the slot as a pure reciever?

Back
Top Bottom