Official 2013 Miami Dolphins Training Camp Thread. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2013 Miami Dolphins Training Camp Thread.

Walker's afc east blog on espn about today's activities.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/61304/dolphins-training-camp-notes-big-buzz

DAVIE, Fla. -- The Miami Dolphins became the first AFC East team Sunday to open training camp. The new-look Dolphins are back at work in a season filled with high expectations.
The was definitely a significant buzz to start training camp. The Dolphins received a large turnout of 2,700 at their practice facility, which included standing-room fans. It's further proof that Miami’s solid offseason has fueled optimism among Dolphins fans. This is the most talented team, on paper, that Miami’s had in several years. However, it’s up to the team to put it all together on the field.
Miami Pro Bowl defensive tackle Randy Starks continues to try to earn his starting job back in training camp. Starks held out of organized team activities in protest of his one-year franchise tag. Since returning in minicamp, Starks has played with the second team and also getting a few first-team reps behind converted defensive end Jared Odrick.
No. 3 overall pick Dion Jordan will begin training camp on the non-injury football list as he recovers from shoulder surgery. Jordan was relegated to stretching and conditioning on the side. We have the full story on Jordan here in the AFC East blog.
The Dolphins will continue their first week of training camp Monday at 8 a.m. ET. The AFC East blog will be in attendance all throughout the week.

Tampa Bay might be a team to keep an eye on. Their kicker already got hurt and is out for the year and they just signed a guy off the street. Perhaps as preseason comes to an end they might be more interested in Carpenter then the guy they have.

Also, is Sturgis for some reason is really bad(highly doubt it though) or gets injured at least Miami has a fallback option with Dan.

Ya but that guy off the street did hit 33/39 field goals last year in NY. I doubt we could get anything for Carpenter, were probably just going to have to cut him unfortunately.

I've been listening to the "Greg Likens" Show on WQAM today. He attended the opening of camp and has been talking up Vernon, McNutt and Gibson as the players who stood out on the 1st day of camp. He spent time talking about the difference between Sparano and Phlibin is like night and day. He liked how the practices are still being run at a fast pace and thinks it helps both the offense and defense. He feels, Vernon has a real chance to make plays this year. He talked about Vernon's off season commitment and how it looks to have payed off. He also said, Gibson was much bigger than Bess and how that is a positive for the team. I'm stoked about what this team MAY be capable of doing, IF all the pieces fall into place.

Nice to see so many fans turn out for the first day of camp. Hope that optimism turns into wins and sold out games.

Barry Jackson notes from practice.

### Armon Binns and Rishard Matthews entered camp as the front-runners for the fourth and fifth receiver jobs. But Marvin McNutt will push them, judging from his performance Sunday, when he grabbed five passes, including a terrific over-the-shoulder catch from Ryan Tannehill, beating Nolan Carroll.

McNutt, drafted in the sixth round in 2012, spent four weeks on the Philadelphia Eagles’ 53-man roster last season but did not catch a pass and was released in May.

Also, receiver Jeff Fuller caught a 70-yard touchdown pass from Pat Devlin, beating Jamar Taylor.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...es-quotes-and-observations.html#storylink=cpy
PRACTICE HIGHIGHTS

### Oregon rookie linebacker Michael Clay intercepted a Devlin pass and returned it for a touchdown.

### Tannehill ran for 15 yards on a read option play – something the Dolphins likely will use on occasion this season. He scrambled for a long gain on another play out of a traditional formation.

### Tannehill threw a few deep balls poorly, at least one the result of quarterback pressure. But he looked sharp on crossing patterns, including a dart to Mike Wallace.

### Wallace scampered for 10 yards on a reverse but also dropped a pass with several defenders in the vicinity.

ALSO NOTABLE

### Taylor, who had sports hernia surgery in May, practiced without limitations, as did guard/tackle Dallas Thomas, who missed much of the offseason recovering from shoulder surgery.

### Cornerback Dimitri Patterson played opposite the slot receiver in the nickel package – on a unit with first-team cornerbacks Brent Grimes and Richard Marshall – and made a couple of solid plays, including a pass breakup on a Tannehill throw to Brian Hartline.

### Besides the two sacks from Vernon, linebacker Dannell Ellerbe and defensive tackle Kheeston Randall had one apiece.

### The Dolphins often played without a fullback, instead using tight end Dustin Keller or tight end/H-back Charles Clay in the backfield.

### Lamar Miller showed good burst on several runs.

### Quote of the day (from Wake): “Expectations are very high. It’s time we get out of the middle of the pack identity and get to the front like we’re supposed to be.”

#### PRACTICE SCHEDULE

Monday: 8 a.m.

Tuesday: 8 a.m.

Wednesday: 8 a.m.

Thursday: Off

Friday: 8 a.m.

Saturday: 8 a.m.

Sunday: 8 a.m.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...es-quotes-and-observations.html#storylink=cpy

500x393-1.jpg

500x313-1.jpg

500x388-1.jpg

400x387-1.jpg

500x358-1.jpg

318x500-1.jpg

Barry Jackson notes from practice.

A lot of buzz today about McNutt, but I still think he will have a hard time beating Binns and Matthews out for the 4th and 5th spots. I know it is extremely early, but if McNutt continues to impress I wonder if 6 receivers is something they might consider for the final roster. It is nice to see that Miami is going to struggle to make a decision on the top 5 because of too many solid options unlike last year when they struggled to find the top 5 because of lack of talent.

A lot of buzz today about McNutt, but I still think he will have a hard time beating Binns and Matthews out for the 4th and 5th spots. I know it is extremely early, but if McNutt continues to impress I wonder if 6 receivers is something they might consider for the final roster. It is nice to see that Miami is going to struggle to make a decision on the top 5 because of too many solid options unlike last year when they struggled to find the top 5 because of lack of talent.

Hopefully we can tuck 1 or 2 wr's on the practice squad.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

The new helmets look awesome
500x294-1.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Starks looks pissed at Odrick. Would not want that dude pissed at me.:chuckle:

Or maybe he was reacting to a lamar miller run, "how we supposed to stop that". :)

Back
Top Bottom