Official Game Thread: United States vs Czech Republic | Page 32 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Game Thread: United States vs Czech Republic

Boomer said:
I'd happily do it if I had the time or the inclination, suffice to say that it would work out badly for you since you only play minnows. You beat Portugal, 3-2. You then got hammered 3-1 by Poland. Poland are a much more inferior team than Portugal.

How many points do you think you'd get by beating Haiti?

OK, I'll wait till you do that (if you do it) and then we can discuss further.

ckb2001 said:
Why don't you try this Boomer and test your intellect:

Rank the top 30 teams or so and then decide what data (measurable evidence) you want to consider and then create a formula that produces that ranking.

Try this yourself before belittling others' attempts. IT'S HARD. But at least others can follow your logic if you have a formula. So far, I've shown enough inconsistencies in what you've stated and have therefore asked for greater precision.

Formulas and power rankings don't work. As I showed you earlier with regards Burnley and Liverpool and the Champions League.

You can bang on about formulas till you're blue in the face, you'd maybe find 1 out of 100 people with a knowledge of the game that would claim the US had a top 20 team or that Romania should be in the top 15.

ckb2001 said:
Dude, this is so basic logic it's not funny. The people who created those ELO and FIFA rankings OBVIOUSLY thought friendly international should be taken into account, though one shouldn't value them highly. So, those people are "others" and at least they produced a formula, however imperfect it is!!!

OK mate, you and Prime Time carry on living in your little fantasy world based on how great the US team is despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary and based on your funky little formulas that no-ones heard of, quoting a FIFA ranking the the entire soccer world find hilarious for it's stupidity.

Have fun.

Boomer said:
Formulas and power rankings don't work. As I showed you earlier with regards Burnley and Liverpool and the Champions League.

You can bang on about formulas till you're blue in the face, you'd maybe find 1 out of 100 people with a knowledge of the game that would claim the US had a top 20 team or that Romania should be in the top 15.

1 in a 100 who know soccer? Definitely far more than that (probably closer to 1/2, at least based on why my friends - mostly German - say) regarding the US. Romania I agree shouldn't belong, but I can't (as of yet) produce something that fits my intuition.

Prime Time said:
Based on what exactly are we not?

You didn't see the Czech game?

You didn't see the 4-1 spanking by the Germans in the pre-World Cup ceremony game?

Boomer said:
OK mate, you and Prime Time carry on living in your little fantasy world based on how great the US team is despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary and based on your funky little formulas that no-ones heard of, quoting a FIFA ranking the the entire soccer world find hilarious for it's stupidity.

Have fun.

Don't put words in my mouth. I have many times stated I don't hold the US to be that good. But I put a LOT of stock in a transparent methodology.

ckb2001 said:
1 in a 100 who know soccer? Definitely far more than that (probably closer to 1/2, at least based on why my friends - mostly German - say) regarding the US. Romania I agree shouldn't belong, but I can't (as of yet) produce something that fits my intuition.

So you've spent 4 pages saying what a great formula it is then agreeing that it's wrong?

Like I said, stick to your formulas and let the rest of us worry about the games.

ckb2001 said:
Don't put words in my mouth. I have many times stated I don't hold the US to be that good. But I put a LOT of stock in a transparent methodology.

Like the FIFA rankings and the ELO?

Boomer said:
So you've spent 4 pages saying what a great formula it is then agreeing that it's wrong?

Like I said, stick to your formulas and let the rest of us worry about the games.

I've only had to spend that many pages because you ignored basically that same sentiment from the outset. All I'm against is someone claiming it is so obvious the US is not in the top 20 (you) without showing me a method. NEVER did I put much stock in the methods I provided a link to.

As far as the rest of the games are concerned, I've stated many times use the betting odds for that.

Boomer said:
Like the FIFA rankings and the ELO?

ELO is transparent yes. I haven't taken the time to actually study the FIFA ranking, but they do have a page supposedly explaining it.

And transparent doesn't mean it's good, OK?

You can have all the rankings in the world, but if you're not able to beat top 15 teams, you're not part of that group, which is the situation the US is in right now. You can use all the rankings you want, but I can come up with 15-20 countries that have better players and national teams, AND would be beat the US regularly.

touborg said:
You can have all the rankings in the world, but if you're not able to beat top 15 teams, you're not part of that group, which is the situation the US is in right now. You can use all the rankings you want, but I can come up with 15-20 countries that have better players and national teams, AND would be beat the US regularly.

I stated this before. The best known predictors for how countries would do against each other are the betting odds. By now you should know the rest of the argument. So, where's your proof your list of 15-20 countries would regularly beat the US? Past performance won't produce that long a list.

ckb2001 said:
I stated this before. The best known predictors for how countries would do against each other are the betting odds. By now you should know the rest of the argument. So, where's your proof your list of 15-20 countries would regularly beat the US? Past performance won't produce that long a list.

Odds are not facts, neither are rankings. They are guesses based on the ability to make money, in the case of betting odds, and complete insanity, in the case of rankings.

Now if I cared about odds, I'd tell you that the US is ranked 20th of the World Cup teams on betandwin. That's excluding teams that are better than the US and not attending.

But again, it does not matter, you don't have the quality players, coaches or clubs to compete, the Czech Republic made that painfully apparent, and in a few days Italy will cement that point.

You may be ranked fifth on the FIFA listing, and if you leave this competition with 0 points, which may very well be the case, it should speak volumes to you about rankings.

touborg said:
Odds are not facts, neither are rankings. They are guesses based on the ability to make money, in the case of betting odds, and complete insanity, in the case of rankings.

Now if I cared about odds, I'd tell you that the US is ranked 20th of the World Cup teams on betandwin. That's excluding teams that are better than the US and not attending.

But again, it does not matter, you don't have the quality players, coaches or clubs to compete, the Czech Republic made that painfully apparent, and in a few days Italy will cement that point.

You may be ranked fifth on the FIFA listing, and if you leave this competition with 0 points, which may very well be the case, it should speak volumes to you about rankings.

Right, I never disagreed with any of this. Betandwin probably has the updated odds, and do you remember I said after the Czechs on average the US is ~20 if you look at odds? Before the tournament it was ~15. So nothing to argue with regarding this post of yours.

Back
Top Bottom