Official Game Thread: United States vs Czech Republic | Page 33 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Game Thread: United States vs Czech Republic

The U.S. got hammered, plain and simple. Was easily the worst performance of the World Cup thus far. And its not even that the Chex had such better play . . the U.S. just played terribly. I mean when this draw first happened I figured the U.S. would not qualify, but I said the same thing in 2002 and they suprised Portugal, so I was thinking maybe lady luck will happen again but they really showed how much lower they are to superior competition. I mean hey, they may come out and some how beat Italy and Ghana and qualify . . . but I seriously doubt it.

And don't compare this to Sweden, if u watched that game, Sweden played real good IMO, they just were unfortunate not to score, I mean it happens . . the U.S. looked like crap. I have said they need another coach in other threads and I stick to it, Arenas did a good job bringing the program along, but they need some one else to make them elite, he wont make it happen.

Kdawg954 said:
The U.S. got hammered, plain and simple. Was easily the worst performance of the World Cup thus far. And its not even that the Chex had such better play . . the U.S. just played terribly. I mean when this draw first happened I figured the U.S. would not qualify, but I said the same thing in 2002 and they suprised Portugal, so I was thinking maybe lady luck will happen again but they really showed how much lower they are to superior competition. I mean hey, they may come out and some how beat Italy and Ghana and qualify . . . but I seriously doubt it.

And don't compare this to Sweden, if u watched that game, Sweden played real good IMO, they just were unfortunate not to score, I mean it happens . . the U.S. looked like crap. I have said they need another coach in other threads and I stick to it, Arenas did a good job bringing the program along, but they need some one else to make them elite, he wont make it happen.

I generally agree.

VERY frustrating trying to watch people condense the beautiful game, a game which has changed the world, the most popular sport there will ever be...into number crunching.

Boomer is 100% spot on with his Burnley/Liverpool comparison.

The only facts you fellas need is that the USA is going home with Saudi Arabia, Trinidad and Tobago etc. The reason for it is that they have no fear factor; a team based around a jobber Man City midfielder and a striker who has failed when playing in Europe.

No star players = no hope I'm afraid. Without a major re-shuffle, the USA's best hope is to in the next few years do what Australia have done and that is produce QUALITY players who play and match QUALITY opposition (the likes of Viduka, Kewell, Bresciano etc.)

I'm not sure if this was answered or not, by why didn't Eddie Johnson start, my father is a huge German fan, and I have been tellin him about Eddie Johnson for over a year now, and he called me up to ask where is the kid Johnson at. He obviously brought a little something to the U.S. in the second half, what little they had that is, but I definetly thought he should have been playing from the beginning.

Man I leave for Germany in 10 days, I was really hoping the U.S. would be in the second round.

Mebeverine said:
VERY frustrating trying to watch people condense the beautiful game, a game which has changed the world, the most popular sport there will ever be...into number crunching.

The only facts you fellas need is that the USA is going home with Saudi Arabia, Trinidad and Tobago etc. The reason for it is that they have no fear factor; a team based around a jobber Man City midfielder and a striker who has failed when playing in Europe.

No star players = no hope I'm afraid. Without a major re-shuffle, the USA's best hope is to in the next few years do what Australia have done and that is produce QUALITY players who play and match QUALITY opposition (the likes of Viduka, Kewell, Bresciano etc.)

Not true. I am not saying we WILL, but anything can happen. Team work and luck are two major things for a team to succeed IMO. After that comes talent...

The only way USA is gonna win the cup is FIFA allow the USA players to use their hands.

Kdawg954 said:
I'm not sure if this was answered or not, by why didn't Eddie Johnson start, my father is a huge German fan, and I have been tellin him about Eddie Johnson for over a year now, and he called me up to ask where is the kid Johnson at. He obviously brought a little something to the U.S. in the second half, what little they had that is, but I definetly thought he should have been playing from the beginning.

Man I leave for Germany in 10 days, I was really hoping the U.S. would be in the second round.

Eddie Johnson came on real strong (first at the youth level, then at the senior level). He scored like 7 goals in his first 8 games or something like that last year. So, we US fans thought we finally had our forwards set: McBride as the target forward and Johnson. It's pretty accurate to claim Johnson has talent no other US striker has had.

OK, so what happened? He got injured. A weird injury at that with his toe. He apparently tried to come back too early which prolonged the whole situation. Once he did get back into the lineup, his scoring touch was gone and we were all hoping he'd find it before the world cup.

We had 3 sendoff games, and while lackluster in the first game, he was very dangerous and unlucky in our last one against Latvia. Had he shown that form for maybe 2 consecutive games, Arena might have started him. But, it was mainly a matter of lack of consistency that left doubt in Arena's (well, I'm deducing that.. but definitely doubt in supporters') minds about which Johnson would appear in the WC.

I think after the Czech debacle you'll see Johnson in the lineup from now on.

Boomer and Tourbog where the heck were you guys months ago during all these arguments. I agree with you guys but I'm still scared Italy will choke versus inferior oponents

Mebeverine said:

Thank you.

wpgfishfan said:
Boomer and Tourbog where the heck were you guys months ago during all these arguments. I agree with you guys but I'm still scared Italy will choke versus inferior oponents

Italy looked very good the other night, without two of their best players, Zambrotta, the best right back in the world and Gattuso. Totti looks fit and is playing well and they seem to have found the right fit up front with Toni and Gilardino. Nesta and Cannavaro are still as good as it gets. They'll be hard to beat.

Boomer said:
Italy looked very good the other night, without two of their best players, Zambrotta, the best right back in the world and Gattuso. Totti looks fit and is playing well and they seem to have found the right fit up front with Toni and Gilardino. Nesta and Cannavaro are still as good as it gets. They'll be hard to beat.

I was very impressed with Toni. He was a constant threat and he will be good for Italy htis year. Totti said he wanted to redeem himself from the last world cup, and right now he' soing a pretty good job. Excellent player.

touborg said:
I was very impressed with Toni. He was a constant threat and he will be good for Italy htis year. Totti said he wanted to redeem himself from the last world cup, and right now he' soing a pretty good job. Excellent player.

Yeah Toni played very well. He's quicker than he looks and very strong.

No Talent = No hope? :roflmao:

So you are telling me teams like Peru? (Even though I root for them damn it!) and Uruguay are better than the US Squad just because they have a "few" good players that do play in Europe.

Prime Time said:
No Talent = No hope? :roflmao:

So you are telling me teams like Peru? (Even though I root for them damn it!) and Uruguay are better than the US Squad just because they have a "few" good players that do play in Europe.

Not sure where anyone's saying that.

They have "talented" players that play in Europe's top Club teams...

Back
Top Bottom