Official "Other" NBA Teams Thread | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official "Other" NBA Teams Thread

phunwin said:
I'm not sure I'd even do that deal if I was Miami. I think McGrady dominates the ball too much without making his teammates as good as he could, and always has (though maybe Yao actually needs someone like that, I don't know). Wade makes everyone around him better. If I was forming a list of players I'd want to build a team around, Wade would probably be 3rd, behind Tim Duncan and LeBron James.

LeBron James? He doesn't have one "clutch" bone in his body. Wade's in a higher class than he is. LeBron stinks it up every time he's asked to perform in crucial moments of a game. My list of players I'd want to build a team around includes Dwyane Wade, Kevin Garnett, & Allen Iverson.

Blueprint said:
LeBron James? He doesn't have one "clutch" bone in his body. Wade's in a higher class than he is. LeBron stinks it up every time he's asked to perform in crucial moments of a game. My list of players I'd want to build a team around includes Dwyane Wade, Kevin Garnett, & Allen Iverson.

Oh, I totally agree James isn't clutch yet. But then, he's also 20 years old. That will come with time. At this very moment, Wade's clearly a better player, but he's also, I think, 4 years older. So if I'm building a team long-term, I'm taking that into account.

KG's 4th on my list. And for the record, a healthy Amare Stoudemire would be 5th. But for the moment, that spot goes to Kobe Bryant. I have no idea how you could ignore Tim Duncan.

But Iverson?!? I can probably name 20 guys I'd rather build a team around before getting to AI. I don't believe you can build a champion around him at this stage of his career. Given his reckless style of play, waifish body and the thugs he hangs out with off the court, it's a miracle he's still playing at a high level, and hasn't been seriously injured and/or shot. I think Iverson is playing on borrowed time at this point.

Oh yeah, and he's a tremendous ballhog who has shown an inability to mesh with another scorer. Every "second scorer" the 76ers have brought in has flopped miserably. The only way that Iverson might have been able to be a champion was to take the Larry Brown formula from 2000-01: surround Iverson with 4 guys who play strong defense, don't need the ball in their hands to be effective, and are content to score on the occasional open looks and tip-ins that Iverson will get them. In Iverson's prime, that might have been enough to win a title if they hadn't run up against the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. But Iverson isn't that player anymore.

If Billy King was smart (and he's not), he would have avoided the Webber trade and instead focused on putting Iverson on the floor with Iguodala and Dalembert, find a glass-cleaning, defense-first 4 and another strong defensive swingman like Iguodala, and make Kyle Korver the Dell Curry/Dale Ellis 6th man who just comes off the bench and takes the open three. Instead, by getting Webber, he killed his cap room for a soft, injury prone 4 who can't play a lick of defense. Webber is a terrible fit with Iverson. Then again, I can't fault King too much; everyone and their brother thought he fleeced the Kings in that deal when it was first done. So did I. Only in hindsight does the flaw in the design become apparent.

Yet I digress. The larger point is this: you can build a winner around Duncan, Wade, James, Garnett, etc. in any number of ways. To build a winner around Iverson, you need an extremely specific game plan, because Iverson's abilities and his limitations demand a certain kind of teammate. That's another huge problem.

Blueprint said:
McGrady was never as good as Wade is right now, and Wade's not even at his best yet.

Care to explain why you think this? Because I really don't understand how anybody would make a statement like that.

Blueprint said:

I'd add Chris Bosh and Dwight Howard to that list.

Ace88 said:
Care to explain why you think this? Because I really don't understand how anybody would make a statement like that.

Hey..I will say this....McGrady at his best is what Wade is now....

In practice, Wade shoots three's and they monitor his shooting..Riley has a 45% rule.....if you can't hit at least 45% of your three's in practice...you are not allowed to shoot them on game day.....Wade shoots 40% in practice...

WHEN wade adds a 3 pt. shot to his game...we will be talking Jordan/Kobe territory here.

Section126 said:
Hey..I will say this....McGrady at his best is what Wade is now....

In practice, Wade shoots three's and they monitor his shooting..Riley has a 45% rule.....if you can't hit at least 45% of your three's in practice...you are not allowed to shoot them on game day.....Wade shoots 40% in practice...

WHEN wade adds a 3 pt. shot to his game...we will be talking Jordan/Kobe territory here.

Now I would agree with that. T-Mac's game isn't gonna improve because he is what he is. He is a guy that can score 20+ points with 5 rebounds and 5 assists in every game. Sometimes his back problem will get to him bad and he will have games like he did lastnight. Wade is still young and his game will improve within the next couple of years I think.

Section126 said:
Well...you did just see what Wade did to the Pistons...

There is something to be said about the best defensive team in the league getting consistantly OWNED by Wade.
You guys played a great game I gotten to say, but you have to stop acting like you won the championship. Wade did own. He is a good player, but he doesn't consistantly own the pistons. He didn't even beat them in the ECF last year.The series is tied 1-1. Keep in mind the Pistons will have homecourt advantage against the Heat. If Wade or Shaq gets hurts we easily beat you. Right now we would win 4-3 in a 7 game series.

Ronnieisabeast said:
You guys played a great game I gotten to say, but you have to stop acting like you won the championship. Wade did own. He is a good player, but he doesn't consistantly own the pistons. He didn't even beat them in the ECF last year.The series is tied 1-1. Keep in mind the Pistons will have homecourt advantage against the Heat. If Wade or Shaq gets hurts we easily beat you. Right now we would win 4-3 in a 7 game series.

I agree with everything you said...except...WADE does own the pistons. He owned them last year after his bad game in game 1...as for Shaq or Wade getting hurt...yeah....we wouldn't have a chance...that is what happened last year in the ECF...Wade stays healthy...we play the Spurs.

BTW...if you lose one of your back court guys....you have zero chance against us. It cuts both ways....:wink:

Section126 said:
I agree with everything you said...except...WADE does own the pistons. He owned them last year after his bad game in game 1...as for Shaq or Wade getting hurt...yeah....we wouldn't have a chance...that is what happened last year in the ECF...Wade stays healthy...we play the Spurs.
BTW...if you lose one of your back court guys....you have zero chance against us. It cuts both ways....:wink:
True expect even if Wade is healthly the pistons win a tight series. If Rip or Billups gets hurt we would be in very deep trouble but we wouldn't be in as bad as shape you guys if you lost Shaq or Wade

Ronnieisabeast said:
True expect even if Wade is healthly the pistons win a tight series.

nope. Not last year. And I agree...But Shaq and Wade are much better players than any of your guys. So of course it would hurt us more....But I will repeat...the Piston team concept works with ALL the parts together.....and the key is the two guards....

What a game we had lastnight against the Clippers. We scored 30 points in every quarter and we scored 128 points total against them. T-Mac got his shooting going in the game with 28 points and he actually shot well. Can't wait to see what we do against the Suns tomorow night. :evil:

Back
Top Bottom