Offseason MLB rumors | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

Motion said:
I heard Soriano wants to go to the Mets. He still owns a NY apartment from his Yankee days.

where'd you hear that monstrosity? I'll make sure to boo his a$$ everytime he gets up to bat at RFK if he bails on the Nats like that.

I don't want Zito in pinstripes. I've been on the Matsuzaka bandwagon for a while now.

Phinz4Life said:
I don't want Zito in pinstripes. I've been on the Matsuzaka bandwagon for a while now.
My only problem with the Yanks going after the Japanese pitcher is that their game doesn't always translate in the MLB. I would much rather the Yanks sign a guy that has proved that he can pitch in the Majors (Zito) than sinking a boatload of cash in an unknown. I guess I still have Irabu shock. :(

like2god said:
My only problem with the Yanks going after the Japanese pitcher is that their game doesn't always translate in the MLB. I would much rather the Yanks sign a guy that has proved that he can pitch in the Majors (Zito) than sinking a boatload of cash in an unknown. I guess I still have Irabu shock. :(

This guy will either be Ichiro/Matsui (the real deal) or he will be Kaz/Irabu (busts)

If the reports are real it is at least worth the shot. Especially when money isn't an issue!!

SpurzN703 said:
where'd you hear that monstrosity? I'll make sure to boo his a$$ everytime he gets up to bat at RFK if he bails on the Nats like that.

:lol: FoxSports Rumor section

The Mariners are saving their money to chase Barry Zito, according to the NY Post.
Though Phils GM Pat Gillick would not confirm it, team and league sources have indicated that their No.1 target will be outfielder Alfonso Soriano. They want his power bat to protect young lefty slugger Ryan Howard. Sources said the Phillies could offer as much as $15 million a season over 5 years, though published reports say Soriano will want $17 million per over 7 years, a deal like Carlos Beltran got from the Mets 2 years ago. Expect the Phillies to let the market set itself before plunging into a bidding war for Soriano. Published reports have the well-heeled Mets both interested and uninterested in Soriano. Failure to sign Soriano or land Sheffield could move the Phillies to pursue Cubs free-agent third baseman Aramis Ramirez.

The high-stakes bidding for Japanese pitching star Daisuke Matsuzaka could begin as early as today, though the Orioles still haven't decided whether to be a part of it. The Orioles have gotten great reports on Matsuzaka and are interested in the 26-year-old right-hander, who was 17-5 with a 2.13 ERA for the Seibu Lions this past season and was the Most Valuable Player of the inaugural World Baseball Classic. However, the pitcher's price tag - the cost to earn just the right to negotiate with Matsuzaka could be more than $30 million - has certainly made the Orioles' decision whether to get involved in the process a difficult one. "We are considering putting in a bid," said executive vice president Mike Flanagan, declining to offer any more details.
The Angels also have identified free-agent third baseman Aramis Ramirez as a top priority, and if they can land the slugger as well as Matthews, they probably would look to trade speedy leadoff batter Chone Figgins for bullpen help.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11022006/sports/matsuzaka_bidding_to_begin_sports_george_king.htm
There are some Yankee voices who believe that amount of money may be better spent on free agent Jason Schmidt, who was 11-9 with a 3.59 ERA in 32 starts for the Giants a year ago when he made $10.5 million. He is 127-90 with a 3.91 ERA career-wise. The Yankees also have talked internally about Cardinals righty Jeff Suppan, who filed for free agency yesterday.

The Yankees' Derek Jeter, and not the Twins' Justin Morneau, is expected to be announced soon as the American League's MVP, and the Detroit Tigers' Jim Leyland, and not the Twins' Ron Gardenhire, is expected to be AL manager of the year.

http://www.benmaller.com/

The New York Post speculates that Rich Aurilia could be making a move to New York. Aurilla has a $2 million option the Reds will most likely turn down and both the Mets and the Yankees are looking for permanent infielders – the Mets at second base and the Yankees at first base. Agent Barry Axelrod said, "Rich wants to play for a contender and wants to, if possible, play just one position. Both New York teams qualify for what he is looking for."

Sources told PhillyBurbs.com that the club is prepared to offer $75 million over five seasons for Alfonso Soriano. However, Washington Post sources say Soriano is looking for a deal close to that given to center fielder Carlos Beltran in 2005 -- $119 million over seven years. If the Phillies don’t get Soriano, they could try to acquire Yankees outfielder Garry Sheffield.

dominizzo said:
Motion any newd for the Giants?

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/116244949145570.xml&coll=1&thispage=2
Cleveland and San Francisco join Houston as teams interested in trading for Gary Sheffield. The Yankees have until Sunday to pick up Sheffield's option for 2007 ($13 million, $4.5 million deferred) and seem intent to do so and trade him. Indians right fielders hit just 20 homers, tied for eighth in the AL. The Giants could lose outfielders Barry Bonds, Moises Alou and Steve Finley to free agency. Cashman said he has spoken with Rufus Williams, Sheffield's agent, but refused further comment. Williams did not return a call yesterday.

Barry Bonds' agent said he has spoken recently with several clubs about the seven-time MVP, but not the Giants. "Teams are interested in him," said Jeff Borris, who declined to name the clubs but said at least one was from the National League. Borris also declined to say who picked up the phone first. Major league sources expect the market for Bonds to develop very slowly, if at all. Two American League clubs that need a left-handed hitter consider Bonds an emergency name to revisit if all other strategies to add offense miss the mark.

The Giants have hired a high-profile scout who spent 10 years with the Yankees, focused primarily on the Pacific Rim, and had a hand in bringing Japanese outfielder Hideki Matsui and Taiwanese pitcher Chien-Ming Wang to New York. The scout, John Cox, and Giants director of international operations, Rick Ragazzo, are in Japan this week to watch the exhibition series between a major-league all-star team (managed by Bochy) and Japanese all-stars. They also are gathering information about which Japanese players might be available to sign with big-league teams for 2007.

:D

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Sources told PhillyBurbs.com that the club is prepared to offer $75 million over five seasons for Alfonso Soriano. However, Washington Post sources say Soriano is looking for a deal close to that given to center fielder Carlos Beltran in 2005 -- $119 million over seven years. If the Phillies don’t get Soriano, they could try to acquire Yankees outfielder Garry Sheffield.[/quote]

:couch2: PHILS WIN THE NL EAST IN 2007 :tongue:

MikeO said:
beats the hell out of me!

Maybe he doesn't want to go through learning an entire league of new hitters at this stage in his career. But my god, all AL pitchers who jump to the NL turn into world beaters!!

Just look at Bronsan Arroyo

MikeO said:
beats the hell out of me!

Maybe he doesn't want to go through learning an entire league of new hitters at this stage in his career. But my god, all AL pitchers who jump to the NL turn into world beaters!!

Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson have not been as good. Although Carpenter who I think played with the Blue Jays turned into one of the best pitchers in the game. Jeff Weaver was lights out during the postseason but he wasn't even good enough to be on an AL roster during the regular season. I don't know why any pitcher would rather face a DH than a pitcher.

Nappy Roots said:

I don't know how Crawford makes the Sox better. He's an upgrade in CF but the Sox can still score runs and Anderson is fine defensively in CF. The problem was the pitching staff so replacing an ineffective pitcher with a highly touted guy who has been groomed to be a starter would make Chicago a better team. Crawford is a good player but Chicago needs pitching so bringing him in would be another awful move by Williams. If Kenny did not trade Chris Young for Vazquez than Chicago would already be set in CF and McCarthy would be in the rotation. After winning the ring last year people were congratulating Williams who I think has one division title in his time as Sox GM. He isn't afraid to make a move but it seems like he's missed alot and this was the first year I can remember that they did not trade for Carl Everett.

Back
Top Bottom