Ogun Update from ESPN | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogun Update from ESPN

The guy tried to get somebody to pay him big money in the off season and nobody stepped up. That's reality. He has a big head because Rosenhouse inflated it. Now he should deflate it, come back to earth and sign a fair contract for significant dollars. They can even throw in performance incentives like Pro Bowl, # of sacks etc.

ZOD said:
To get the "franchise" I think you use the "Total Salary" which includes base salary and all bonus wages.

KGB just put a whopper on that number.

KGB-11.5 million
Greg Ellis-6.95 million
Hugh Douglas-6.65 million
Simeon Rice-6.65 million
Marcellus Wiley-5.75 million

JT is not even in the equation.
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playersbyposition.aspx?pos=11&order=Salary+desc

If you use the USA Today database you have to look at the cap value column. I just checked KGB and you are using the total bonus. The cap charge for the year only includes the prorated portion of the signing bonus. Check out JT's cap value for 2003. You will see Taylor received his $9 million bonus in 2001 and restrutured in 2002. He played for the tender in 2000.

If anyone's numbers are good it's the NFLPA.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=taylor&player=2252

Merman said:
If you use the USA Today database you have to look at the cap value column. I just checked KGB and you are using the total bonus. The cap charge for the year only includes the prorated portion of the signing bonus. Check out JT's cap value for 2003. You will see Taylor received his $9 million bonus in 2001 and restrutured in 2002. He played for the tender in 2000.

If anyone's numbers are good it's the NFLPA.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=taylor&player=2252

Darren Howard's franchise tender he just signed with the Saints was for 6.5 mil, for DEs.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=saintsresignhoward&prov=st&type=lgns

Merman said:
:jawdrop:

Yes, even with the maximum pro-ration being 5 years for signing bonuses next year. You have to be talking next year as we are $5 million under the cap this year unless we reduce Ogunleye's $1.824 million tender on June 15th. :infins:
So... yes?

If so, I say reduce his tender if he hasn't signed, let him do whatever the hell he wants to do, and play it by ear.

Priorities...

What do most of the highest paid players at DE have in common? Most of the highest paid DE's play RDE where JT plays thus they are proven against the better of the two tackle's the LT. Ogun is asking for RDE money from the LDE spot if he really wants to prove he is the real deal switch JT to LDE and Ogun to RDE and lets see what happens. Now if Ogun sits out then TRADE HIS A$$, because either way he probably wont see another down in a Phins jersey. If Corey Dillon at what 30 is worth a second then surely so is Ogun at twenty something. While I dont think the replacements we have for Ogun will be spectacular the will be adequate, by hopefully using a rotation we would keep fresh legs through out the entire game as the OL's get tired. If Ogun can pull his head out of Rosenhouse's but and sign a deal for somewhere in the 3.5-4.0 million range(JMO of his value) then thats great, if not ship his classless but off to Chicago for a 2nd round pick and maybe a conditional 6th that becomes a 4th if he leads the league in sacks.

2004 Franchise/Transistion Numbers for DE's

1 Jason Taylor DE MD 7,766,100
2 Robert Porcher DE DL 6,832,745
3 Gary Walker DE HT 6,250,000
4 Trevor Pryce DE DB 6,066,666
5 Phillip Daniels DE CHB 5,600,000 Franchise number- 6,503,000
6 Chad Bratzke DE IC 5,437,000
7 Courtney Brown DE CLB 5,383,000
8 Travis Hall DE AF 5,278,571
9 Jevon Kearse DE TT 4,870,000
10 Greg Ellis DE DC 4,476,818 Transistion number- 5,796,000

http://www.nflpa.org/Media/main.asp?subPage=Franchise+and+Transition+Numbers

The Franchise number is the Average of the top 5 SALARY CAP numbers, not the top 5 in total salary.

CirclingWagons said:

One less problem ? Because he sure made Mike Williams look like ****..I think Muck has the clip if you would like to see the footage..

Not good at all he is a very good player but at $7 million he can go suck a lemon.. As someone said earlier I dont care how much we need him if he sits out for the first 10 games he can go to hell.

He has become a favorite of mine and will keep my fingers crossed that a deal is reached before the season..

This is going to hopefully be a great football year for me.. A Grey Cup for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (hopefully with Eric Wilson) and a Super Bowl by the Dolphins..

CFL kicks off on Tuesday now I have football all the way through January.

Nice to see a fellow Canuck on this site. Also glad to hear that there's some interest left in the CFL. I'm not proud to say it but to be honest, the CFL hasn't appealed to me in years (right about the same time I started watching NFL ball on a regular basis). Anyways, greetings from Moose Jaw.

MinnesotaMike said:
2004 Franchise/Transistion Numbers for DE's

1 Jason Taylor DE MD 7,766,100
2 Robert Porcher DE DL 6,832,745
3 Gary Walker DE HT 6,250,000
4 Trevor Pryce DE DB 6,066,666
5 Phillip Daniels DE CHB 5,600,000 Franchise number- 6,503,000
6 Chad Bratzke DE IC 5,437,000
7 Courtney Brown DE CLB 5,383,000
8 Travis Hall DE AF 5,278,571
9 Jevon Kearse DE TT 4,870,000
10 Greg Ellis DE DC 4,476,818 Transistion number- 5,796,000

http://www.nflpa.org/Media/main.asp?subPage=Franchise+and+Transition+Numbers

The Franchise number is the Average of the top 5 SALARY CAP numbers, not the top 5 in total salary.

Correction............... the franchise tender comes from salries, not cap #s.
This from page 69 of the NFLPA.......

(i) A one year NFL Player Contract for the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position at which the Franchise Player played the most games during the prior League Year, or 120% of his Prior Year Salary, whichever is greater; if the Club extends the tender pursuant to this Subsection

DeDolfan said:
Correction............... the franchise tender comes from salries, not cap #s.
This from page 69 of the NFLPA.......

You should have kept reading just one page down to sub paragraph (e). :)

Page 70

(e) For the purpose of this Article, “Salary†means the total of the Paragraph 5 Salary, roster and reporting bonuses, prorata portion of signing bonus, and other payments to players in compensation for the playing of professional football for the applicable year of the player’s most recently negotiated Player Contract, except for performance bonuses other than roster and reporting bonuses. Beginning with the 1994 League Year, Salary shall also include any un-repaid loans made, guaranteed or collateralized by a Team or its Team Affiliate to a player or Player Affiliate during or after the 1993 League Year.

This is why I said basically cap numbers because the other bonuses are not included. Otherwise these numbers are cap numbers.

BTW the article in question is : ARTICLE XX

FRANCHISE AND TRANSITION PLAYERS

Section 2. Required Tender for Franchise Players:

Shut-Up. Fiedler sucks.

Mod Note: Next time you tell someone to shut-up -- or otherwise violate the rule disallowing derogatory personal comments -- you're taking a day off. I've warned you on this before. Keep the attitude civil. Period.

P4E

Back
Top Bottom