Ogun Update from ESPN | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogun Update from ESPN

First of all, Ogun wants a LONG TERM contract, he doesn't want a one year deal, no matter what, look at Peterson with the Niners, he won't accept a 51 million dollar deal with a 15 million dollar signing bonus. I think these players are sick. Ogun has publicly gone out and said stuff about Chicago being his place for a great fit, he loves Lovie Smith and so forth. He asks the fans to beg Rick Spielman for a deal. Drew is doing a lot for Ogun, but Ogun is and will always be a cry baby. And whoever said about restructuring is exactly right. Our big names restructure all the time, even Drew's guys like Zach restructure, it's not just Drew doing all of this. Ogun is a cry baby, with 0 class. Oh, and if anyone doesn't think the Dolphins take care of their players. Remember when we traded for a guy named Ricky Williams, we approached him and up his deal with incentives, out of good faith, without him proving anything yet. We reward our players, JT, Zach, Sam, Pat, hopefully Chris. A torn ACL is on your resume for a long time, no matter what, the Dolphins problem with Ogun is he wants to much of a Signing Bonus and too much in gaurenteed money. I am one of if not the biggest Dolphin fan, and I would never boo anyone, even a QB with 5 INT's on our team, actually Wanny gets a lot of negative stuff on game days, but other then him. I would not root against anyone, but Ogun will never win over my heart as a fan any more. Business or no business. You don't use an award speech to plee for a Huge Long Term contract, in front of fans, coaches, and media, you just don't. 0 % Class.

BLITZKRIEG said:
He owes us IMO. If it were't for the Phinz organization, this guy would probably be bagging groceries with K. Warner....
I kind of see your point BK, but I don't think he really "owes" the Dolphins organization. When is he "paid up"? He did after all provide 24.5 sacks the last two years for the league minimum. That said, I wouldn't pay him the money they are asking for either. You would think he would be a little more grateful and not be such a disruption and sign the offer. $1.8 mill is nothing to sneeze at. He needs to play out your last year and become an UFA then he will "get his money". As far as him not being picked up, I'm positive that he would have tried out for other teams and eventually been picked up.

steve_t said:
If you think that a special teams player like David Bowens (best year 2000 - 3.5 sacks) will be able to fill that role then you are sadly mistaken.
Who would have thought that Ogunleye would have done what he did?

picture this ... game six of the season, bowens has three and a half sacks and is looking good, O-Gone begs his agent to get something done beacause when he does come back in 5 games, he wont be playing just a shortened season for his FA money, he'll be coming back as a backup because Dave won't want to "Disturb the teams chemistry" I love this stuff...screw the team O-Gone...no! screw you

This guy must be an ego maniac if he thinks he deserves more money than JT. The more I think about it, it becomes obvious that a lot of his production has been a product of our system. Bromell, Mixon, Armstrong, all former DE's who had career years opposite JT....see a pattern here? Ogun and Drew's thinking must be this..."Ogun, your not that good, you've fooled everyone by making the pro bowl, break the bank now and your set for life. Screw all your teamates, your better than they are!"

screw the team O-Gone...no! screw you[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you Bluephin, I would like to see him locked up long term, but he wants too much and he has gone about his raise with 0 class. It is one thing to want to get paid and its another to threaten the team you supposedly want to stay with long term. His teammates say they dont hold it against him, but Im sure that would change if he signs and doesnt produce or holds out. If he holds out it would be the stupidest thing he could do to his carreer. He is a quality talent, but sometimes you have to cut your losses for the good of the team.

Mixon, Brommell, and Bowens had 9.5 sacks and an int returned for a TD the year before O-gun "busted out" with 9 sacks.

Who thinks we don't have Mixon, Brommell, and Bowens in J.Williams, Bowens, and Grigsby? .....Or Tony Brown?

Aint no way in the world O-Gun is worth what they're asking, not to the Dolphins. Not with JT on the other side.

BLITZKRIEG said:
Here's the real kicker, and what really bothers me about all of this... :yell:

DE A. Ogunleye was not even playing in the NFL when we discovered him. During his first couple of seasons, nobody knew him, and nobody really wanted him. He was a nobody, and was going nowhere. The Miami Dolphins were the only team that ever gave him a chance to living out his dream of playing in the NFL. We basically gave him his career on a silver platter, and even handed him a knife and fork along with it....

He owes us IMO. If it were't for the Phinz organization, this guy would probably be bagging groceries with K. Warner....

Another mystery is this. If the guy is truly a Prince, he should have no worries about money IMO. I mean come on, a Prince complaining about money??? That shouldn't happen....

PHINZ RULE!!!! :fire:

Not totally true, though I agree with the sentiment. We didn't "discover" him, so much as take a chance on him. He was a bonafied blue chip before his kneww injury in college and went undrafted if I remember right. He WAS a great player that was well known. Just nobody was willing to wait for him to rahab and hope he made the comeback.

But in essence, the point of what your saying is correct. We paid him to get better not knowing if it would ever pay off. It did...for awhile...

PhinPhreak said:
The Franchise price for a DE in 2004 was about 3.7 mil so it's far from the 7 mil that people think, I say for 3.7 franchise him and force him to do a sign and trade. If nothing works out remove the franchise tag after the first wave of FA's pass.
I'm kinda surspised it's only 3.7 mill. Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link? Also, after the contracts Kearse and Wistrom signed, I'm guessing the franchise price for DE's will increase by a decent amount next year.

inFINSible said:
Mixon, Brommell, and Bowens had 9.5 sacks and an int returned for a TD the year before O-gun "busted out" with 9 sacks.

Who thinks we don't have Mixon, Brommell, and Bowens in J.Williams, Bowens, and Grigsby? .....Or Tony Brown?

You should be comparing Williams, Bowens, and Grigsby to O-Gun, not to days gone by. O-Gun had 15 sacks last season, not 9.5. Didn't anyone watch him play last year? Its not like our opponenets were unaware of him or were not trying to block him at all. He was flat-out beating guys badly, and they were not all scrubs. He made Buffalo's Mike Williams look like dog meat. You don't get 15 sacks just by showing up opposite Jason Taylor. O-Gun is a big time talent.

The contention that he owes the Dolphins something is laughable. If he did not sign with us he would have signed with someone else. These guys are always one hit away from a career-ending injury. O-Gun has been playing for chump change. Its time to pay him what he is worth.

LIQUID24 said:
I'm kinda surspised it's only 3.7 mill. Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link? Also, after the contracts Kearse and Wistrom signed, I'm guessing the franchise price for DE's will increase by a decent amount next year.

Got these from NFLPA.ORG

Howard, Darren DE New Orleans Saints 6,503,000.00
Pryce, Trevor DE Denver Broncos 5,350,000.00
Brown, Courtney DE Cleveland Browns 4,700,000.00
Strahan, Michael DE New York Giants 4,250,000.00
Berry, Bertrand DE Arizona Cardinals 4,000,000.00

OK for 04 it averages out to be about 4.8 Mil. So that puts it on the edge of being too high to franchise, I think I would still do it until they needed the $ to sign a player. Most likely they could work out a deal for a sign and trade, even if they only get a 2nd or 3rd it's more then nothing, and it doesn't allow OG to pull that sit out and come back for 6 games then just walk away.

If he chooses to hold out for more money, I can understand him standing up for what he believes, but playing the game of coming back just to get credit for the season is where I have a problem.

I have to believe if he was in fear of the Fins franchising him and holding him to the first wave of big name players were gone he would be willing to agree to a sign and trade deal.

steve_t said:
O-Gun has been playing for chump change. Its time to pay him what he is worth.

Do you know what Chambers has and will be playing for? Even though he isn't a RFA he could still be holding out for more cash if he wanted to. He lead the AFC in TD's last season.

PhinPhreak said:
Got these from NFLPA.ORG

Howard, Darren DE New Orleans Saints 6,503,000.00
Pryce, Trevor DE Denver Broncos 5,350,000.00
Brown, Courtney DE Cleveland Browns 4,700,000.00
Strahan, Michael DE New York Giants 4,250,000.00
Berry, Bertrand DE Arizona Cardinals 4,000,000.00

OK for 04 it averages out to be about 4.8 Mil. So that puts it on the edge of being too high to franchise, I think I would still do it until they needed the $ to sign a player. Most likely they could work out a deal for a sign and trade, even if they only get a 2nd or 3rd it's more then nothing, and it doesn't allow OG to pull that sit out and come back for 6 games then just walk away.

If he chooses to hold out for more money, I can understand him standing up for what he believes, but playing the game of coming back just to get credit for the season is where I have a problem.

I have to believe if he was in fear of the Fins franchising him and holding him to the first wave of big name players were gone he would be willing to agree to a sign and trade deal.
That must not include Kearse's and Wistrom's deal.
I found this link, it says the franchise tag for DE's is $6.5mill this year.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1795243
The four-year veteran signed the one-year qualifying offer for a "franchise" free agent at the defensive end position, meaning he is guaranteed a base salary of $6.503 million -- the average of the top five defensive ends -- for the 2004 season.
That's bound to go up next year. Thats too much IMO. It's not worth it to franchise Ogun next year.

LIQUID24 said:
That must not include Kearse's and Wistrom's deal.
I found this link, it says the franchise tag for DE's is $6.5mill this year.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1795243

That's bound to go up next year. Thats too much IMO. It's not worth it to franchise Ogun next year.

They must include signing bonus to figure ou average, Kearse's base salary for 2004 is 535,000 and Wistrom's is 1.5 mil. I was always under the impression that they used base salaries when calculating salaries. My bad.

No probem, I was under the same impression too. But you're right, the only reasonable explanation is that they include signing bonuses.

I think I should ask our resident agent, Brett. I'm sure he would know :)

Back
Top Bottom