Ogun Update from ESPN | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogun Update from ESPN

Atila said:
why would we franchise him? that would require us to pay him excatly what we dont want to do...

Not really, there will be no signing bonus, and it's only the average of the top 5. But my main reason for thinking they should Franchise him is to that he can't just walk. He will have to be traded until the Fins feel they are ready to let him go.

Basically keep him off the market during the first wave of FA and then lets see what he gets, If he wants to play the game of sitting out and coming back for 6 games just so he can leave, then let them make it a little difficult for him.

PhinPhreak said:
I say sit him the final 6 games and then Franchise his *** next season.
If they don't activate him the last 6 games he becomes a RFA again, so he back in the same boat and they won't have to franchise him. They should tender him the same offer as this year, because franchising him would cost more money.;) I would guess that they would tender him an offer where they would be just compensated a 1st round pick this time around though.

I say put a fair offer on the table(not what Rosenhaus wants) and call his bluff. If he's as good as he showed last year, he would be a fool to waste a year where he's in his prime and it may cost him more in the future.

KYfinfan said:
If they don't activate him the last 6 games he becomes a RFA again, so he back in the same boat and they won't have to franchise him. They should tender him the same offer as this year, because franchising him would cost more money.;) I would guess that they would tender him an offer where they would be just compensated a 1st round pick this time around though.

I say put a fair offer on the table(not what Rosenhaus wants) and call his bluff. If he's as good as he showed last year, he would be a fool to waste a year where he's in his prime and it may cost him more in the future.
I think he will become a UFA regardeless of whether we activate him or not.
I disagree with phinphreak, franchising him would cost $7mill+ and that's money we could use elsewhere (McMike). Even if we franchise him with the purpose of trading him, it's unlikely we would get a 1st rounder for him.

mike_vee said:
remember bromell , armstrong .... great seasons when playing opposite taylor
then signed big contracts with other teams and then dissapeared.. armstrong wasn't even close to what he was here (even though he blew out his knee that year ) but that was it for him , bromell ? is he still playing ??? enough said . ogun will be the next DE to leave for more $$$ to disappear with another team . trade is a$$ get a pick or two and thats it .and if we don't trade him and he sits out the first 10 games deactivate him for the remaining 6 and hopefully he'll be watching the fins in the super bowl on tv ... screw him !!
I was thinking the same exact thing. Sorry Wale, you don't deserve the $$. I think they should reduce the tender so when he sits out the first ten games he'll only make $154,687.50. Try living on that Ogun...hey wait a minute, he'll still make more than I make in a year :cry:

Drew is causing Ogun to commit career suicide. He will loose out in money and playing experience.

We will be able to replace him with a drafted rook next year. I wish we could have traded him!

If he sits out the whole season he becomes a RFA again in 2005, I know that for sure. But I'm not positive on what happens if he signs an offer sheet. I would assume if he signs and the Dolphins don't activate him then he is a RFA next season as well.

Miami will be able to lower the offer to around $500,000 or so after a certain date(may have already passed), which I would do if he sits out any. Then he would only get paid for 6 games of that. So basically he would be coming back for less than $200,000! He would lose over $1.6 million and Rosenhaus would lose about 3-5% of that.:D

I'm tired of these negotiations with OGUN. I'd rather have someone in there who wants to play and doesnt care about money. Screw him

If Ogun chooses to play the last 6 games, the Dolphins HAVE TO activate him. It's in his contract. He won't be an RFA next season.

Nublar7 said:
Does anyone else think that if Ogunleye sits out, that David Bowens or Jay Williams can handle the job? I think Ogun's success has a lot to do with Taylor. Thoughts?

It has been said earlier that jay Wms was told to make sure he's in goooood playing shape cuz if any deal for ogun falls thru that he would be the starter.
Anyway, IMO, at this point to save face, Wally needs to step up himself and grab Rosenhaus "by the horns" and say, hey, get som'n done now! Rosenhaus is just being too greedy and will just make life miserable for ogun. This should happen in the next couple days, otherwise, i would entertain any offers from any other team. Our teams' pshyce is fragile enough and may not survive this negative exposure. If not and it's apparent we'll never sign him, then cut his tender and do what someone else [sorry, who??] said, if he shows up for the last 6 gms, pay him then and say see ya. i would not let him "showcase" himself in our unis anymore. let him walk next yr and we'll see how much Drew gets for him then. Maybe teams wouldn't be so willing to give big $$ to a head case. Also, it would send a no bS message to our other fAs coming up as well.

Here's the real kicker, and what really bothers me about all of this... :yell:

DE A. Ogunleye was not even playing in the NFL when we discovered him. During his first couple of seasons, nobody knew him, and nobody really wanted him. He was a nobody, and was going nowhere. The Miami Dolphins were the only team that ever gave him a chance to living out his dream of playing in the NFL. We basically gave him his career on a silver platter, and even handed him a knife and fork along with it....

He owes us IMO. If it were't for the Phinz organization, this guy would probably be bagging groceries with K. Warner....

Another mystery is this. If the guy is truly a Prince, he should have no worries about money IMO. I mean come on, a Prince complaining about money??? That shouldn't happen....

PHINZ RULE!!!! :fire:

Zacher87 said:
If Ogun chooses to play the last 6 games, the Dolphins HAVE TO activate him. It's in his contract. He won't be an RFA next season.

If he chooses to do this. They should not play him the last six games and playoffs. Let him be the waterboy for that time. After that time I would think they could trade him before he becomes free agent and at least get something for him. He is a great player, but the Dolphins can't let him set a trend for other players to follow.

I agree with phinphreak.....If he wants to sit out 10 games and then come back for the last 6....fine, but there's no rule that says he has to play......Then we sould franchise his a$$ until we can trade him or at least until he misses the first big wave of money in next years' FA-gency.

You mess with the bull, you get the horns.

The Franchise price for a DE in 2004 was about 3.7 mil so it's far from the 7 mil that people think, I say for 3.7 franchise him and force him to do a sign and trade. If nothing works out remove the franchise tag after the first wave of FA's pass.

I say no way we sign him for the kind of $$ he and Rosenjerk are convinced hes worth, we need that cap space to bring back CC and McMike (much bigger prioities than DE IMO). Also, if he decides to desert his team for 10 games just because he thinks we should bow down and throw money at him then we definately should deactivate his pompous prima-donna a$$ for the final 6 games, and let him watch this year's playoff run from his couch (how sweet would that be? lol)

mike_vee said:
remember bromell , armstrong .... great seasons when playing opposite taylor
then signed big contracts with other teams and then dissapeared.. armstrong wasn't even close to what he was here (even though he blew out his knee that year ) but that was it for him , bromell ? is he still playing ??? enough said . ogun will be the next DE to leave for more $$$ to disappear with another team . trade is a$$ get a pick or two and thats it .and if we don't trade him and he sits out the first 10 games deactivate him for the remaining 6 and hopefully he'll be watching the fins in the super bowl on tv ... screw him !!

You can't compare O-Gun to a journeyman like Bromell. Bromell's best season was his rookie year (1998) with the Phins when he had 8 sacks in 14 games. His production as a Dolphin went down after that:

1999 5 sacks in 15 games,
2000 2 sacks in 8 games
2001 6.5 sacks in 16 games.

O-Gun had 9.5 sacks in 2002 and 15 last year. You don't let that kind of productivity walk out the door. You do everything possible to sign him. If you think that a special teams player like David Bowens (best year 2000 - 3.5 sacks) will be able to fill that role then you are sadly mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom