Ogun Update from ESPN | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogun Update from ESPN

What a waste of talent... Another prime example of great players not caring about the game and only worrying about becoming millionares. Everyone knows he has great talent but playing football shouldnt be just about the money, why be so ignorant and selfish... I just dont get it. With his help we could be superbowl contenders if the QB situation works out well. With all of the FA accuisitions and signing why not just play out your remaining contract and get a few mill when its up. If he plays the way he has he should get a long term big-buck contract without a doubt.

He should be traded immediately, ****y attidudes like his doesnt win championships it rots an organization. Maybe we can get a second round pick back after wasting one on a third string QB who isnt proven.... BUT thats just my opinion. Im not gonna milk something and make a possative out of it when it was a horrible idea.

Merman said:
Here are the numbers they have

1Jason Taylor DE MD 7,766,100
2Robert Porcher DE DL 6,832,745
3Gary Walker DE HT 6,250,000
4Trevor Pryce DE DB 6,066,666
5Phillip Daniels DE CHB 5,600,000 6,503,000 -> to franchise

Although the salary cap structure here at FinHeaven shows Taylor only having a $4,186,000 cap hit. He restructured before last season didn't he or was it this past offseason? I know they have it wrong for Madison. They don't have his salary after he restructured.

KYfinfan said:
Although the salary cap structure here at FinHeaven shows Taylor only having a $4,186,000 cap hit. He restructured before last season didn't he or was it this past offseason? I know they have it wrong for Madison. They don't have his salary after he restructured.

The numbers for the franchise/transition list are basically the top ten 2003 cap charge numbers for the NFL per position. These numbers are to be used for 2004 puposes. The salary cap chart you refer to on Finheaven shows the Dolphins 2004 cap charge numbers.

Taylor extended his contract this year and Madison restructured his contract this year taking a paycut. Use the second link where the blanks are to be filled in for individual players' base salaries.

Wow, 6.5 mil... that's pretty steep.

Cap experts, can you use those many, many monies to sign McMike and Chambers long term?

I still say, if he wants to, let him hold out. Call his bluff. Yeah, it's a gamble - we might end up with 12 team sacks. But we might end up with a 10+ sack season for whoever takes his place. Either way, let him sit, then bench him whenever he returns. Be firm, show you're not to be played around with, and I truly believe good things will come out either way.

At the end of the day, I don't care if he gets his money or not. But right now, he will not get it here. There are far more pressing needs in this team than defense, I'm sorry. And again, it's my firm belief that, with JT, we really, really don't need a DE anytime soon. Not more than, say, a good 3rd receiver, or if you really want to go defense, depth at LB.

Rambling now... but I hope you get my point(s).

sbh1602 said:
Wow, 6.5 mil... that's pretty steep.
Cap experts, can you use those many, many monies to sign McMike and Chambers long term?

The Franchise tag is like any other tender. When tendered it counts against the cap. Or in other words the money is tied up and can't be used.

Also like any other tender if it is not signed and then rescinded the freed cap space can be used. Of course the player is then free to sign with any club he so chooses.

Don't get confused with the word "tender." It is the term used for a one year contract offer to an unsigned player in order for the club to receive restricted contract rights to the player in question. If the player signs the tender there is a legal one year contract.

Merman said:
The Franchise tag is like any other tender. When tendered it counts against the cap. Or in other words the money is tied up and can't be used.

Also like any other tender if it is not signed and then rescinded the freed cap space can be used. Of course the player is then free to sign with any club he so chooses.

Don't get confused with the word "tender." It is the term used for a one year contract offer to an unsigned player in order for the club to receive restricted contract rights to the player in question. If the player signs the tender there is a legal one year contract.
Thanks... though I meant whether 6.5 mil is enough cap room (considering 1st season only) to sign both guys long term... :D

sbh1602 said:
Thanks... though I meant whether 6.5 mil is enough cap room (considering 1st season only) to sign both guys long term... :D

:jawdrop:

Yes, even with the maximum pro-ration being 5 years for signing bonuses next year. You have to be talking next year as we are $5 million under the cap this year unless we reduce Ogunleye's $1.824 million tender on June 15th. :infins:

inFINSible said:
Aint no way in the world O-Gun is worth what they're asking, not to the Dolphins. Not with JT on the other side.

You don't even have to place O-gun's worth in the mix.

The Dolphins cannot afford almost 20% of the cap going to two DE's.

steve_t said:
You should be comparing Williams, Bowens, and Grigsby to O-Gun, not to days gone by. O-Gun had 15 sacks last season, not 9.5. Didn't anyone watch him play last year? Its not like our opponenets were unaware of him or were not trying to block him at all. He was flat-out beating guys badly, and they were not all scrubs. He made Buffalo's Mike Williams look like dog meat. You don't get 15 sacks just by showing up opposite Jason Taylor. O-Gun is a big time talent.

The contention that he owes the Dolphins something is laughable. If he did not sign with us he would have signed with someone else. These guys are always one hit away from a career-ending injury. O-Gun has been playing for chump change. Its time to pay him what he is worth.
Before you tell me what I should be doing, maybe you should try and follow my point. I compared who I compared because that's who we had before O-Gun and that's who we'll have after O-Gun.

Where did I say he owed the Dolphins anything? My contention is that you can NOT have 15 million dollars tied up on your defensive line alone. We have JT, we can't afford another JT....we can make Bowens, Williams and Grigsby work just as well as Mixon, Brommell, and Bowens, thus O-gun is NOT WORTH that much money TO THE DOLPHINS.

ZOD said:
You don't even have to place O-gun's worth in the mix.

The Dolphins cannot afford almost 20% of the cap going to two DE's.
That's EXACTLY what I mean....thank you ZOD. :D

Back
Top Bottom