Ogun Update from ESPN | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogun Update from ESPN

If Ogunleye decides to be sit out the first 10 games, he will hurt himself. He will make less money that season and I think teams that would potentially be interested would be turned off that he just decided not to play because he doesn't like the CBA. Also, if he does this, I would hope that our coaching staff would not play him in the last 6 games, even if we could use him. We shouldn't allow someone to just quit on the team for the first 10 games and then come back. If he actually goes through with this and sits out the first 10 games, he should not step on the field next season. I think if he does this, there will be little interest in him next season.

Phinzone said:
Do we let him play those last game? I say hell no! That would utterly destroy his market value...good luck getting 7 mil a year next year O-gun!

:cool2:

If he sits out the first 10 games then we should do like the Bucs did last year with Keyshawn Johnson. Pay him the last 6 games, don't let him play, and tell him to stay far, far away from our clubhouse.

David Bowens=1 million

Adewale Ogunleye=7 million

Not a tough decision for me. ;)

Does anyone else think that if Ogunleye sits out, that David Bowens or Jay Williams can handle the job? I think Ogun's success has a lot to do with Taylor. Thoughts?

You guys are forgetting Tony Brown and Otis Grigsby. On top of that, I hope the Dolphins do the right thing. It was in poor class/classless to say infront of fans, players, and coaches that the dolphins should give him a new contract, that is wrong. He is not worth that money, Jason Taylor doesn't even get that, if I am not mistaken his first big deal was 7 years, 42 million, and that was when he was franchised. JT is more of a leader, he is a better ball stripper, more of a rush off the edge, and much more intimidating. I just find this all so immature, first he says he wants to play for the Bears, then says he was just talking from emotions. We gave him a chance, when the whole entire league didn't even put a 7th round pick into him. Whether he played his contract out or not, he still did not get drafted. Nor would he have had a chance if Wanny's daughter didn't persuade Wanny to give him a look.

I say... I agree with the general thought. If push comes to shove, let him sit out, bench him the last six games, and wait for results. If Bowens/whoever pans out, and gets 10+ sacks, and decent rush-stopping stats, let someone else pays him his "due". If they don't, well, either sign him next season as a UFA, or find as suitable a replacement as possible.

If Ogun sits out, I am positive D-Bo can put up a 10+ sack season. And would improve next year as he would have a year of starting under his belt. Ogun If you sit out the first 10 games, go Flock yourself man. You are not the "team player" you have claimed to be. We should not have him after next year If this is going to occur everytime we talk contract with him. What happens in the future when we need to free up cap space. He won't be like Madison, Surtain, Thomas, or Taylor and he won't restructure his contract. Go D-bo!!!

NFL scouts arn't dumb. They all know the reason why he had 15 sacks: a 6'6 somebody lining up on the other side drawing his offensive tackle and the blocking backer. So now you have Ogunleye lining up on one lineman the whole game.

No scout, no coach in the league thinks he would get 15 sacks as the number one defensive end.

He isn't in the elite class with Kearse, Gbaja-Biamila, Taylor, Rice, Peppers, Freeney yet. He won't be up their until he proves him self without Taylor opposite him.

So Rosenhaus is going for a long expensive contract so that when Ogun screws up, Rosenhaus still is getting his royalties.

PhinPhreak said:
I say sit him the final 6 games and then Franchise his *** next season.

why would we franchise him? that would require us to pay him excatly what we dont want to do...

I don't know if you guys remember Errict Rhett but Rosenhaus had him hold out for a new contract after his first two seasons and it basically ruined his career.

I'd rather be giving Chambers a contract extension. Sorry, O-gun, but you are getting some bad advice from your agent. Especially if you think sitting out most of this season will be better for your career.

Play out the season, get 14-15 sacks again, and you are an UFA who can write his own ticket.

No team is going to risk 7 million/year on a player that had one GREAT year, then had a nasty contract dispute and left his team hanging. Besides, if anyone else comes in and gets 10 sacks, then you have to think Jason Taylor is the real factor in how well O-gun has done.

Suddenly, getting a conditional third round 2005 pick from the Eagles or someone sounds pretty good, huh? I would have been inclined to trade O-gun and use the money/pick on offense anyway, but since it didn't happen I hoped the FO thought they could get O-gun resigned without getting into salary cap jail.

I think the training camp reporters here at Finheaven need to start taking longer looks at the DE's. n Looks like we'll have a different flash in the pan for 2005

remember bromell , armstrong .... great seasons when playing opposite taylor
then signed big contracts with other teams and then dissapeared.. armstrong wasn't even close to what he was here (even though he blew out his knee that year ) but that was it for him , bromell ? is he still playing ??? enough said . ogun will be the next DE to leave for more $$$ to disappear with another team . trade is a$$ get a pick or two and thats it .and if we don't trade him and he sits out the first 10 games deactivate him for the remaining 6 and hopefully he'll be watching the fins in the super bowl on tv ... screw him !!

Back
Top Bottom