Olivier Vernon | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Olivier Vernon

I'm not a big fan of Spence at the NFL level to be honest. He's undersized. He needs to move to CB. He can't play LB in the physical style of defense Pittsburgh prides itself on.

But he's still better than Bradham.

It's very surprising that Pit picked him.

Maybe a move to S?

It's very surprising that Pit picked him.

Maybe a move to S?

Safety...corner...somewhere in the secondary.

He was usually tasked with being the spy on defense. So he drew tough assignments like covering CJ Spiller out of the backfield.

Unfortunately, Randy Shannon is a ****ing idiot and thought that Spence could cover Spiller out of the backfield with a bum knee.

And that's why a wheel route to Spiller goes for 60 yards and a touchdown with Spence covering him.

...but Shannon couldn't figure out why.

Again, more examples of piss poor coaching in Miami under Shannon and Coker.

Safety...corner...somewhere in the secondary.

He was usually tasked with being the spy on defense. So he drew tough assignments like covering CJ Spiller out of the backfield.

Unfortunately, Randy Shannon is a ****ing idiot and thought that Spence could cover Spiller out of the backfield with a bum knee.

And that's why a wheel route to Spiller goes for 60 yards and a touchdown with Spence covering him.

...but Shannon couldn't figure out why.

Again, more examples of piss poor coaching in Miami under Shannon and Coker.

To slow for a CB?

IDK. He may make a great SS.

Hurricanes do blow. They destroy everything in their path just like Vernon will be destroying Fitzgerald, Brady, and Sanchez.

Spence will never play in the secondary in the NFL. That would be a disaster, similar to the Spiller play already mentioned. Bum knee or perfect health he'd be mercifully picked on.

I'm sure Pittsburgh will use him on special teams and try to bulk him up toward inside linebacker for a year or two. Farrior wasn't much bigger when he arrived from the Jets. Taller but not heavier. Timmons is already much stronger than when they got him. Spence will likely back up Timmons and be used in spot coverage duty, like Ray Rice. That's been a problematic matchup for the Steelers on 3rd down.

Beyond anything, Canes products always turn into stronger and tougher guys once they get into the NFL. We probably won't recognize Spence's frame in a year or two...just the instincts.

I actually think Pittsburgh is a good fit, with the big maulers able to keep him free to make plays. He'll be in the spotlight on a playoff team, not a chaser on an obscure team.

Spence will never play in the secondary in the NFL. That would be a disaster, similar to the Spiller play already mentioned. Bum knee or perfect health he'd be mercifully picked on.

I'm sure Pittsburgh will use him on special teams and try to bulk him up toward inside linebacker for a year or two. Farrior wasn't much bigger when he arrived from the Jets. Taller but not heavier. Timmons is already much stronger than when they got him. Spence will likely back up Timmons and be used in spot coverage duty, like Ray Rice. That's been a problematic matchup for the Steelers on 3rd down.

Beyond anything, Canes products always turn into stronger and tougher guys once they get into the NFL. We probably won't recognize Spence's frame in a year or two...just the instincts.

I actually think Pittsburgh is a good fit, with the big maulers able to keep him free to make plays. He'll be in the spotlight on a playoff team, not a chaser on an obscure team.

I remember there was skepticism about Vilma's size when he was drafted too, though I think he had and inch or two and 10-15 lbs on Spence coming out. He will get bigger. To me he seems to copare favorably with Zach Thomas. He was under 6', and around 225 coming into the league if I'm not mistaken. He is small, but if anybody could overcome that it would be Spence. He's intelligent and instinctual.

Sam Shields was undercoached at the U, main culprit...Randy Shannon. Olivier Vernon might be the same situation. Philbin, coming from Green Bay, knows this.

Not sure how good he's going to be, but I love that he fits the Pittsburgh Steeler mold of LB in terms of size and strength.

Back
Top Bottom