Olivier Vernon | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Olivier Vernon

Breakout game for Miami Dolphins’ Olivier Vernon a big hit
Former UM standout Olivier Vernon had two sacks, including one that forced the Rams to attempt a 66-yard field goal that they missed.

clear.gif

Defensive end Olivier Vernon celebrates win after the game with the Miami Dolphins and St. Louis Rams at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens on October 14, 2012. Joe

On third down at the 45, the Dolphins talked about getting pressure on St. Louis quarterback Sam Bradford at any cost.

Down by three points, if the Rams picked up a nice chunk of yardage, they would have been in prime real estate for a tying field goal.

“We tried to put as much pressure on him as we could,” Olivier Vernon said. “A batted down pass, some pressure so he would throw over the receiver or into the ground. We had to do something. We knew we couldn’t let them get into field-goal range.”
Vernon took business into his own hands as the rookie out of the University Miami had his professional coming out party in the Dolphins 17-14 win. Vernon came up the middle and took down Bradford for a three-yard loss.
“It was a great feeling,” Vernon said.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/15/3050353/breakout-game-for-miami-dolphins.html#storylink=cpy

Vernon has Pride. Sweet Motor. He is going to make plays. After Thill, Favorite Rookie Dude!

When he ripped through the line and took Bradford down in 1 second, it was a thing of beauty. His speed was very impressive.

What I like about him, other than he's from the U is that his motor doesn't stop. He's got much to learn just like many other players on the team but you can see he really wants it. I believe he's going to keep on bringing it down after down. At this time the guy you'd think about is Mathews from GB.....No, I'm not trying to compare the 2....just saying that's the kind on intensity you want from your players.....I honestly not sure what we have with him at this point....wish he hadn't missed those games in college but if he keeps on working he could be a very good player for us.

Ozzy rules!!

There wouldn't be any whatsoever if said lineman is of the pass rush variety that seems to elude Ireland.

You mean like drafting Olivier Vernon in the 3rd Round? Which just played a big roll in us winning yesterday? And it elude him so much that we are #4 in the league in sacks at 18. And #6 The Year Before with 41. And the year Before that at #10 with 39. And the year before that #3 with 44. And the year before that #8 with 40. So in the five years we've been one of the top teams in Sacks but some how pass rushers have eluded him. OKAY!

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean like drafting Olivier Vernon in the 3rd Round? Which just played a big roll in us winning yesterday? And it elude him so much that we are #4 in the league in sacks at 18. And #6 The Year Before with 41. And the year Before that at #10 with 39. And the year before that #3 with 44. And the year before that #8 with 40. So in the five years we've been one of the top teams in Sacks but some how pass rushers have eluded him. OKAY!

No, I don't mean like Vernon. He had a great game yesterday, but he's not a pass rusher, and likely will never be one. He's a terrific effort guy, and a great run defender. As for the sack numbers, they still don't change the fact that we have nothing opposite Wake as a pure pass rusher. We can thank Coyle and Nolan for having great pass rush schemes these last few seasons despite only having 2 good pass rushers on the entire roster in Wake and Starks. And maybe Odrick, but he's too inconsistent. Either way, all of those guys according to Ireland's biggest apologists would be Parcell's moves since Ireland didn't have any say, remember?

I'm starting to notice this guy more and more. I have a hunch that Vernon is going to develop into a Pro Bowl calibre DE. The U!
Looks like Ireland found us that complimentary pass rusher we needed in the 3rd round. Hell of a job by Ireland.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

No, I don't mean like Vernon. He had a great game yesterday, but he's not a pass rusher, and likely will never be one. He's a terrific effort guy, and a great run defender. As for the sack numbers, they still don't change the fact that we have nothing opposite Wake as a pure pass rusher. We can thank Coyle and Nolan for having great pass rush schemes these last few seasons despite only having 2 good pass rushers on the entire roster in Wake and Starks. And maybe Odrick, but he's too inconsistent. Either way, all of those guys according to Ireland's biggest apologists would be Parcell's moves since Ireland didn't have any say, remember?

Ireland has been the GM since 2008, and every move this franchise has made, for better or for worse, should be attributed to him.

GM = Architect and Boss.

Looks like Ireland found us that complimentary pass rusher we needed in the 3rd round. Hell of a job by Ireland.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Ireland has been the GM since 2008, and every move this franchise has made, for better or for worse, should be attributed to him.

GM = Architect and Boss.

It should be. Which is why it shocks most of us he still has a job.

Love how you bring it to the Fireland crowd with facts! Keep it up!

After making that play against Cincinnati, when he knocked down that pass in coverage 20 yards down field, I became a huge Vernon fan. He laid out like Superman lunging himself at the ball, extending his hand making the play. He looked like a DB and I actually thought it was one of the DB's, who made the play. Since the Cardinals game you saw more of Vernon playing OLB in passing situations while Misi was playing RDE. This formation looks to be putting all of Miami's pass rushers on the field; with Wake and Misi playing DE, Starks and Odrick at DT and Vernon at ROLB. Since the Arizona game, Vernon has really come on in his aggressiveness and his play has improved. I can't wait to see what Coyle comes up with after the bye week giving the team 2 weeks to practice.

Can we atleast agree on fact that I put everything on Ireland since 2008. So, if we are having a debate you don't have to always ended with the apologist and Parcells Can you atleast give me that. Let me say it again, everything since '2008 in on Ireland, everything, including all the bad. Bad draftees, F.A. signings everything. Forget the fact he's only had full control for 2 years. He's had the Title of GM since 08. So, again IRELAND OWNS EVERYTHING SINCE '2008.

But while you don't agree he's a pass rusher. The rest of the scouting community did.

Draft Scout Snapshot: A closer look at the Dolphins' picks: Round 3/72 - Olivier Vernon, DE, 6-2, 261, Miami...This well-built, quick twitch edge pass rusher reminded the scouts a lot of Cameron Wake, whom the Dolphins discovered in the CFL. He had an average career from a production standout, but the film showed he's a solid player. Ireland specifically liked the way he set the edge on running plays. COULD SURPRISE: Defensive end Olivier Vernon: His production at Miami is underwhelming considering he only contributed 82 career tackles and nine sacks before declaring for the draft after his suspension-shortened junior season. But his athleticism, strength and speed measurables were off the charts, and won Ireland and his scouts over during a workout. The Dolphins envision Vernon immediately filling Jason Taylor's old role as a situational pass rusher in the nickel package. - The Sports Xchange

And considering he's third among rookies in sacks, playing part time. What total amount of sacks are you looking for him to have by season end, in order to consider him a pass rusher.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=89827&draftyear=2012&genpos=DE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom