On a lighter note-Top Five Greatest Miami Dolphins of All Time | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

On a lighter note-Top Five Greatest Miami Dolphins of All Time

I've always wondered if Ricky never retired to live in a tent, who would we have drafted in that 2004? draft. My money would have been on Aaron Rodgers or Braylon Edwards. His decision to retire may have had franchise-changing implications that most people don't fully realize. Remember, Rodgers was expected to go very high in that draft, some people even saying he could be number one overall. Although, we did just sign AJ Feeley, so I'm sure Spielman thought we had that position covered...

This is precisely why it is not advisable to trade 1st round draft picks. If we trade up and mortgage the future on a player that is not a slam dunk HOF (impossible to know) player, it isn't worth the risk.
Very good point.

Regarding the best center ever
You might want to check out Mike Webster

Stephenson only started 87 games ...8 years

Webster started 217 games...17 years
His career ended after the 1990 season, with a total of 245 games played at center.
"Iron Mike" anchored the Steeler's offensive line during much of their run of four Super Bowl victories from 1974 to 1979 and is considered the best center in NFL history.

Webster was proven to have been disabled before retiring from the NFL. After retirement Webster suffered from amnesia, dementia, depression, and acute bone and muscle pain. He lived out of his pickup truck or train stations between Wisconsin and Pittsburgh, even though his friends and former teammates were willing to rent apartments for him. In his last years Webster lived with his youngest son, Garrett, who though only a teenager at the time, had to act as the parent to his own father. Webster's wife divorced him six months before his death in 2002. He was only 50 years old.

After death, Mike Webster was diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neuro degenerative disease. It has been speculated that Webster's ailments were due to wear and tear sustained over his playing career; some doctors estimated he had been in the equivalent of "25,000 automobile crashes" in over 25 years of playing football

I agree about Webster. You can't beat his excellence and longevity.
Stephenson might have had a similar career if not for the cut block by the Jets Joe Klecko. It ended his career.
At the time of his injury, Stephenson was playing the center position better than Webster or anyone.
Just another good reason to hate the Jets.

1. Marino
2. Dwight Stephenson
3. Jake Scott
4. Zach Thomas
5. Jason Taylor

My Top 10 1-Marino 2- Zonk 3-Stephenson 4-Paul Warfield 5-Jason Taylor 6-Bob Greise 7-Zach Thomas 8-Bob kuchenberg 9- Richmond Webb 10- Ricky Williams

Shula was always impressed by Coryell and Dan Fouts. They could score at will against anyone. The game was changing. In the playoff game against the Chargers, we fell behind 24-0(if my memory is correct) and we had to abandon the running attack game plan led by David Woodley. Enter Don Strock, and 410 passing yards later, a near miracle comeback was ruined by 2 missed field goals by Uwe Von Schamen. Shula had seen the light. In the next draft Dan Marino fell to us and there was no going back to the ground and pound.

Those Chargers scored at will against everyone and never advanced to the Super Bowl. One of my most confident bets of my lifetime was taking the Raiders +7 in the 1980 AFC Championship Game. Oakland was better in every significant category but the bar stool pass happy crowd decided San Diego needed to be giving 7 points. The Raiders won by a touchdown and it should have been more decisive than that.

Everybody loves to focus on the 1981 Chargers/Dolphins game while ignoring the playoff rematch a year later, when Woodley and the Dolphins destroyed San Diego despite public prognosticators picking San Diego to win more comfortably than a year earlier. Bob Trumpy and Bob Costas during the pre game show didn't think it would be a competitive game.

Shula saw a light that wasn't there and he tossed aside any chance to win another title. The NFC in the '80s was stocking up on brutes while the AFC panicked after the 1983 draft and decided they needed cornerbacks to cover their dainty wide receivers, and so forth. The Super Bowl consequently was one refreshing NFC massacre after another for a full decade, thank you very much. Not until Denver showed up with Terrell Davis and out rushed the Packers 39 attempts to 20 in the 1997 season Super Bowl was the AFC's long embarrassing drought ended.

I'm not impressed with conventional wisdom when it's nonsense.

And BTW, Mike Webster never approached Dwight Stephenson's level of performance. It's like one girl who is astonishing for a decade and another who is nice looking for twice as long. You'll remember astonishing.

Absolutely NO way that 3 of the top 5 should be Dan MArino,Bob Griese,and Larry Csonka !! Final !!

For the other 2 spots everyone can debate,but theres no doubt about Marino,and shouldnt be at all about Csonk and Griese ! Without those 2,there are no Miami Super Bowls,no undefeated seaon !! So argue over the final 2 spots all you want,nobody in here,or anyone else will ever convince me these 3 should not be in the top 5 !!!!!!!!!

The greatest Center of all-time was Jim Otto, who played for 15 years and was an all-pro 13 times and 13 time pro bowler. I would rank Dwight Stephenson second, Mel Hein third, Jay Hilgenberg 4th, Jim Ringo 5th and Webster 6th. Nick Mangold is the only current player I would have in my top-ten.

Again people are listing Taylor and Thomas and leaving out Csonka and Griese,or rating them above Griese and Csonka. And I believe alot of it has to do with the younger generation and maybe many of you not seeing Csonk and Griese play. Those guys led us to 3 straight Super Bowls,2 wins in them and an undefeated season. I love Zack and Jason,but no way do they go on my list,or any list above the Csonk and Griese !

And for that matter,Langer was indeed an outstanding center,the guy was flat out a player who controlled his position. And if we are including coaches then Don Shula has to be on the list,and I could even venture into ownership and Joe Robbie in those glory days we played in the ornge bowl especially.

Trust it from this older guy who was around to watch Csonk and Griese,those guys were good,Griese was as an intelligent QB that ever lined up behind center,and threw the ball very good as well, while Csonk was a mean,bad *** who loved to run over people,AND DID !!!! Without those 2 there are no 3 Super Bowls in a row,winning 2 of them,and no undefeated season. I put those 3 on my list,and then Shula as well,and a multi tie for 5th after that with the Mark brothers,Joe Robbie,Jason and Zack and Dwight Stepheson. I know,I know,thats about 10,but the tie for 5th is so many greats I cant leave off and just have to put them all in a tie...lol

Marino, Stephenson, Little, Griese, JT. Csonka and Ricky both quit the team....both great but I think the contributions of the 5 I listed are greater

1A & 1B Csonka/Marino or Marino/Csonka.

These two are at the top with some separation to spot 3. 3-10 are hard to seperate, so you can't really stop at 5 in my book.
Taylor, Stevenson,Warfield,Little,Offerdahl,Kuch,Thomas.

1. Dan Marino, 2. Dwight Stephenson, 3. Larry Csonka, 4. Larry Little, 5. Jason Taylor

Those Chargers scored at will against everyone and never advanced to the Super Bowl. One of my most confident bets of my lifetime was taking the Raiders +7 in the 1980 AFC Championship Game. Oakland was better in every significant category but the bar stool pass happy crowd decided San Diego needed to be giving 7 points. The Raiders won by a touchdown and it should have been more decisive than that.

Everybody loves to focus on the 1981 Chargers/Dolphins game while ignoring the playoff rematch a year later, when Woodley and the Dolphins destroyed San Diego despite public prognosticators picking San Diego to win more comfortably than a year earlier. Bob Trumpy and Bob Costas during the pre game show didn't think it would be a competitive game.

Shula saw a light that wasn't there and he tossed aside any chance to win another title. The NFC in the '80s was stocking up on brutes while the AFC panicked after the 1983 draft and decided they needed cornerbacks to cover their dainty wide receivers, and so forth. The Super Bowl consequently was one refreshing NFC massacre after another for a full decade, thank you very much. Not until Denver showed up with Terrell Davis and out rushed the Packers 39 attempts to 20 in the 1997 season Super Bowl was the AFC's long embarrassing drought ended.

I'm not impressed with conventional wisdom when it's nonsense.

And BTW, Mike Webster never approached Dwight Stephenson's level of performance. It's like one girl who is astonishing for a decade and another who is nice looking for twice as long. You'll remember astonishing.

Nice reply, but I disagree with your revisionist history. Woodley was an inconsistent player that had issues. Why waste Marino's ability by running the ball? The better explanation would be that the AFC could not field a decent defense during those years. I do not want to derail the thread so I will leave it at that.
BTW, regarding Stephenson, he was the best center in the game until he was cut down by Klecko.

Back
Top Bottom