Our D... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our D...

Didn't see the game, but looks like Miami's run defense did a fantastic job. Yes? Rivers going 31-39 with no sacks is a downer, but like you said 17 points on the road is a win.
Honestly, there were some breakdowns, but it was more good throws. Rivers was on today, precise, consistent, and moved the sticks. It was our third down efficiency (SD converted only 25% on third down) that really helped our defense hold them down. No turnovers by either team surprised me.

It sucks. No pass rush (good job 1st round pick) and nobody in the secondary can make a play when its there to be made (which against Rivers wasn't all that often). The only positive I saw was that we didn't have a safety turning 5 yard gains into 40 yard TD's from bad angles. And the run defense was good too I guess. Still it sucks to see the other team move the ball at will in the second half, and know that with a minute on the clock they will have no trouble getting into FG range.

One of the most frustrating things today was seeing us dial up numerous obvious blitzes over and over and only generate pressure on like two out of 40 pass plays. I don't know if they were just uncreative blitzes or if our players just aren't that good.

Defense was horrible, held the Chargers to 44 yeards rushing, with 26 coming on one carry and the rest for one yard per carry. Also gave up 17 points to the Chargers in LA.

:D:D

Some peole will always find something to be unhappy about, even if there's plenty to enjoy.

You guys are making too much of dropping Wake back in coverage. Every team does that with their DEs, even if they're pass rushing fools like Wake. Pretty sure Wake got his first career INT last year dropping back in coverage too.

The bigger issue is the soft coverage by the DBs. Middle of the field was wide open all day...part of that is the blitzes not getting to the QB. Why we would blitz Rivers is still a mystery to me. We made it easier for him by blitzing. Run defense was solid. Maxwell, inconceivably, looks lost even though this is basically the same freakin defense as last year. Howard still looks like a rookie at times and that's to be expected. It was only...his 5th start? 6th game? The one big run by the Chargers came against our 1st rounder, Charles Harris who failed to set the edge. Expect to see Jay Cutler throw up a few more prayers in Parker's direction...and Parker winning those matchups. Our screen game may be worse than last year but run blocking and pass blocking was pretty decent today.

Didn't see the game, but looks like Miami's run defense did a fantastic job. Yes? Rivers going 31-39 with no sacks is a downer, but like you said 17 points on the road is a win.

In fairness they are learning a new offense so they are supposed to be putrid for 6-8 games.

Under the circumstances I ll gladly take the win and the 17 points the D allowed, with their starting MLB going a ****ing wol the night before...

I feel like a big part of that was San Diego not being a great football team and also shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm very concerned about our defense.

Well, they were within a FG of beating Denver and I'm typing this while I watch Denver manhandling Dallas in the 3rd quarter.
Too early to make any assumptions at this point.

Held Rivers and Gordon to 17 points at home with only 1 LB. BOOM. Well done! We bent ... sure, but 17 points is a good number against this team. Our strong run game + decent defense ... this team can do some good things.
This makes a lot of sense and brings me back to Earth. Excellent point lets hipe we see improvement next week.

Well, they were within a FG of beating Denver and I'm typing this while I watch Denver manhandling Dallas in the 3rd quarter.
Too early to make any assumptions at this point.

I don't like comparing week to week results, especially not week one vs week two.

That said, this was our week one, and it's my opinion that week one always gives contrarian results, so maybe our defense WILL be good.

But what I saw today was troubling.

Back
Top Bottom