Our D... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our D...

Burke better get it together very quickly, because there will be a lot of good offensive teams that can pass this year playing Miami, and if that Swiss cheese pass defense continues, we will be in a lot of trouble.

Im surprised that we haven't heard from a certain poster yet who loves to bash our scheme.

My thoughts:

The Pass Defense:
- LA picked matchups against Hull quite often (RB / TE).
- Maxwell was torched in Man and in Zone. Often not even playing the right coverage. Last drive he was in man and our secondary had checked to Cover 2 Presnap. Another occasion we all saw Jones try to get him lined up on that 3rd and 2 and he still blew it. He's also a complete liability on pretty much any type of crossing route in man.
- Allen seemed to find the ball even though he left a lot to be desired in the ball skills area. Was in the right spots though.
- Surprised Jones did not have a larger impact. He did blitz well.
- Mccain was ok in the nickel, played fast. Mike Thomas run?

Run Defense:
- Suh was unblockable.
- Hayes is such a stellar get this offseason, as advertised against the run. Very stout.
- Godchaux was active.
- Harris at fault for the only run they popped.
- LB's flowed well at times, not strong enough at the POA. Timmons would help..

Pass Rush:
- Where is it?
- Got some pressure when we dialed up blitz, but not nearly often enough.
- Our stunts were completely ineffective in the second half.
- Suh of the edge on one. Harris at DT on another. I liked those looks though.

Overall:

The ultimate Bend Don't Break performance. Run defense is encouraging. Happy to have Reshad Back, he will be super important moving forward as he knocks the rust off. Maxwell needs benched asap and we must start to actually generate pressure from our down 4.

But we only gave up 17 points and we played well enough to earn a road win after facing a tremendous amount of adversity.

The Pats Defense was famous for Bend Don't Break last season.

1-0

Fins Up!

good god we just got lucky. burke played not to lose not to win which would have cost us against 99% teams

Gase also played not to lose. But back to the topic, the defense did ok, but we looked very average.

No Wake impact.
No Harris impact.
I saw a little from Hayes.
You can pass on the Dolphins all day, especially in zone coverage....Rivers was passing at will.

I cannot wait to find out what happened with Timmons....or even to hear if he is on the team anymore.....

Why even come back?

Is it my imagination or did the defense keep the score low? They seemed to work like last years where they bent, but didn't break. By the way, I feel that Rivers is a superior passer to Brady AND he threw great game for the LAC's, but they still didn't win. Our Dolphins are only going to improve. I'm looking forward to what will be achieved this year. I had picked us to win our first five games. With the 1st game now in our bye week, I will restate the figure as 4 straight wins for opening this season with an 11-5 Won-Loss record. I may be an optimist but from my point of view, things are starting to shape up that way.

I watched the first 1/2 of the game at a local sports bar, but the multiple screens, the loud multi-opinioned fans and an exasperating 1st half sent me home to follow the game on the computer where I could calmly observe the results without having to watch them being made. Someone once said that people who love Sausage or Law should not watch them being made. Maybe they should add football to the list in that saying.

On a positive note, the run D was pretty damn good. Coverage and pass rush were both poor.

Agree, I don't think the Run D will be the problem this year. From pre season and this game, I don't think they can defend the pass. Their coverage in the short secondary scares the heck out of me. Burke on the final drive, nothing no defense. 10 or 15 yard chunks per play. Teams will do that to us all year all game unless the secondary D is fixed. Gase called a crappy game, we should have put up about 27 on the Chargers and they could have easily put up 27-30 on us. Both teams looked weak except for Ajayi, Cutler and Juice. I can't believe Gase called this stinker.

You have GOT to be kidding me. Burke was a wildcard to me this year, and he's showing he can't get it done. The Chargers were 1st and ten, 1st and ten, 1st and ten, and drove the field with ease. The defense needs serious help. Also, playing zone on every play doesn't win championships.

Lemme get this straight:

This awful D, questionable before Timmons pussed out, held Rivers and Gordon to 17 points.

But our O, with an established gunslinger to feed 3 hungry high end receivers as well as a sledgehammer running back, only put up one TD and 4 field goals by the same guy that bought us our first win last year.

The O troubles me more than the D. We expected our D to be iffy at best.

We expect our O to stack a lotta points. TDs, not FGs.

I'd say our D did OK, all things considered.

Not great, not awful. O did likewise.

Good point....I agree with this.

Held Rivers and Gordon to 17 points at home with only 1 LB. BOOM. Well done! We bent ... sure, but 17 points is a good number against this team. Our strong run game + decent defense ... this team can do some good things.

Agreed. At the end of the day, without the benefit of a turnover, they gave up only 17 points.

People acting like 17 points against Rivers and Gordon is some great accomplishment. Since when did they become Manning and James in their primes? Rivers has been great at accumulating starts and stats but isn't really that fantastic when it comes to actually winning, hence his under .500 record this decade. Gordon doesn't even have 1,000 yard season under his belt and is known for his draft status, not for being some great producer on the field. Let's not forget that SD missed two makeable field goals (the difference in the game) and backed out of FG range due to penalties at one point. There were also some key game situations were it seemed like SD stopped themselves, not our defense (like that slant route that Rivers threw low on their second to last drive which would have been an easy first to a relatively uncovered receiver.

The fact of the matter is that for all the numbers and the bend but don't break the defense was immensely worse against the eye test. Absolutely no pressure throughout the game despite the immense amount of blitzes that were called. Cover guys who didn't know what they were doing a lot of times and not very good playing the ball when they got a chance at it. I seem to remember us looking pretty similar a few years ago when we won our first game but could scarcely get a hand on a QB until the DC (and head coach) were fired. It simply doesn't bode well at all, regardless of if you escape with a win or not.

Meh, I think Timmons being out definitely affected communication however we held them to 17 points (really 23 points with 2 missed FG's). I am sure with Timmons out at the very last second, there was a huge impact on what could be called on Defense to protect Allen. The one thing I didn't like was we lacked pressure on Rivers.

The thing is that the communication problems were in the secondary and despite the LB's being out it seems like we had very little problem calling blitz after blitz which was easily picked up by SD.

Defense was horrible, held the Chargers to 44 yeards rushing, with 26 coming on one carry and the rest for one yard per carry. Also gave up 17 points to the Chargers in LA.

:D:D

Some peole will always find something to be unhappy about, even if there's plenty to enjoy.

We all know about that infamous Chargers crowd in LA, they've been talking about them for years.

We all know about that infamous Chargers crowd in LA, they've been talking about them for years.

Holding any opponent to 17 points on the road is a win. Chargers in San Diego, Chargers in LA or Chargers on the moon. You can knock it all you want. I won't hold it against you.

Back
Top Bottom