Pat White, the deep ball and other options | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pat White, the deep ball and other options

Well lets see...Flacco not only has the stronger arm than Sanchez....but he was very accurate 63.5% rating...over 4000 yds and 23 td's and 5 ints. The fact that the Ravens didn't sell the house to acquire Ryan like the Jets did for Sanchez, only speaks well for the GM of the Ravens....as far as I'm concerned...but lets also remember that no team moved up and went after Ryan...Ryan wasn't the first pick...or the second pick...he was the third pick of the draft. Did other teams want Sanchez....perhaps...as I wrote before...this was a weak QB draft...when you have more teams needing a QB...teams do crazy stuff. Teams can take risks on many players...but the one player they should never take a risk on is a QB...and like it or not...Sanchez is a risk that can hurt the Jets for the next 5 years.

Im pretty sure the Ravens offered more than what the Jets actually gave up to get Sanchez, just the Falcons did not take the trade.

I dont gt your logic that teams should take risks on any player except qb. So we should not have drafted White I guess in your thinking. Also where do you get this selling the farm stuff. This is what the jets gave up.

this from a Jason cole article
The New York Jets got quarterback Mark Sanchez during the NFL draft for what is a relatively cheap price.
According to the unofficial NFL draft value chart, the value of the No. 5 overall pick, which New York got from the Cleveland Browns, is 1,700 points. To get that pick, the Jets gave up the No. 17 overall pick (worth 950 points) and the No. 52 overall pick (380), third-string QB Brett Ratliff, journeyman DE Kenyon Coleman and journeyman safety Abram Elam.

They definately did not overpay and it was definately better than drafting Freeman or just tanking another year to wait on a qb.Then you are still a year behind because any time you sit your rookie qb.

Lets look back at the 2004 draft wouldnt you have loved to do the same trade to get Rothlisberger or Rivers. Of course you wouldnt want one of them over Vernon Carey lol and a late second round pick.

One year starter on a team that played a bunch of losers in the Pac-10 (I'm in Oregon...so noone start telling me how good the Pac-10 is...)

Sanchez has not played real competition and was on a "stacked" team...he is is a gamble...plain and simple...

So West Virginia played in a great conference?

So West Virginia played in a great conference?

Have you heard me say one thing about Pat White? The only thing I think he will be good for is near the goal line...and he does seem to throw a good deep ball...but you won't find me defending that pick anywhere...

Im pretty sure the Ravens offered more than what the Jets actually gave up to get Sanchez, just the Falcons did not take the trade.

I dont gt your logic that teams should take risks on any player except qb. So we should not have drafted White I guess in your thinking. Also where do you get this selling the farm stuff. This is what the jets gave up.

this from a Jason cole article
The New York Jets got quarterback Mark Sanchez during the NFL draft for what is a relatively cheap price.
According to the unofficial NFL draft value chart, the value of the No. 5 overall pick, which New York got from the Cleveland Browns, is 1,700 points. To get that pick, the Jets gave up the No. 17 overall pick (worth 950 points) and the No. 52 overall pick (380), third-string QB Brett Ratliff, journeyman DE Kenyon Coleman and journeyman safety Abram Elam.

They definately did not overpay and it was definately better than drafting Freeman or just tanking another year to wait on a qb.Then you are still a year behind because any time you sit your rookie qb.

Lets look back at the 2004 draft wouldnt you have loved to do the same trade to get Rothlisberger or Rivers. Of course you wouldnt want one of them over Vernon Carey lol and a late second round pick.

I think that the Jets pulled off a great trade. We'll see what happens, but I think that Sanchez has a chance to be very, very good. Some were calling for him to slip into the 2nd round, I don't think that there's any way that it would have happened. I only saw so much USC football, but the guy was solid and has great tools. He's 6-2, about 230- plenty big, but a couple of inches taller would have been nice. I don't understand the critics- the guy produced and has a heck of a lot of talent. It was a good move.

Have you heard me say one thing about Pat White? The only thing I think he will be good for is near the goal line...and he does seem to throw a good deep ball...but you won't find me defending that pick anywhere...

Just saying the PAc 10 is a better conference than the Big East by far and was not implying that u liked the pick

Just saying the PAc 10 is a better conference than the Big East by far and was not implying that u liked the pick

Got it...I was commenting more in relation to Sanchez as this thread has progressed away from the original context....

Pat White is good cause he's all around athlete but i would think it's better to put him as a receiver or on special teams. Pat white as a quarterback wouldn't be that great 1st cause he's a lefty and second he scrambles out a lot i think it would be better to leav chad pennington there and put white as a slot receiver

Pat White is good cause he's all around athlete but i would think it's better to put him as a receiver or on special teams. Pat white as a quarterback wouldn't be that great 1st cause he's a lefty and second he scrambles out a lot i think it would be better to leav chad pennington there and put white as a slot receiver

Dude, the wildcat...

Who knows

I liked Leinart, I'm not sure what happened to him in Arizona- maybe more than anything Kurt Warner just beat him out. As always there are no sure things, but if you look at Sanchez play and the tools that he has, my guess is that he'll be anywhere from good to excellent.

One year starter on a team that played a bunch of losers in the Pac-10 (I'm in Oregon...so noone start telling me how good the Pac-10 is...)

Sanchez has not played real competition and was on a "stacked" team...he is is a gamble...plain and simple...

vs. 4 year starter who played a bunch of bigger losers in the Big 10.

Saints HC Sean Payton weighs in:

If I had to choose one non-playoff team from last season that has a chance to make it into the 2009 postseason it would be the New York Jets. I think Rex Ryan will do a great job of creating a culture that lends itself to winning. I also love Mark Sanchez as a young quarterback prospect.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/sean_payton/07/17/payton/index.html?eref=sihp

Better than the Big 10 too, at least in recent years.

vs. 4 year starter who played a bunch of bigger losers in the Big 10.

Saints HC Sean Payton weighs in:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/sean_payton/07/17/payton/index.html?eref=sihp

Better than the Big 10 too, at least in recent years.

Regardless of what conference Sanchez played in he's a very good prospect. I'm not sure why some don't like him, he seems to have all of the tools to me. Mayock is a big fan, Kiper, too. A lot on this site don't care for Mel, but personally I think that he's good. The Jets traded a second round pick and three questionable backups to move up to #5 and get Sanchez. It was probably the best trade of the year. The Ravens move to get Oher was a good one, too.

Back
Top Bottom