Pat White, the deep ball and other options | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pat White, the deep ball and other options

This all assumes thet the 2009 NFL Draft was the *only* way the Jets could have gotten a Quarterback. I happen to disagree. I think that the Jets should have just ponied up for Jay Cutler.

If the Jets had the ability to acquire the #5 overall pick, they could have traded that, and a future pick (not even the 2010 1st rounder) for Jay Cutler.

I'd do that all day before reaching up and giving a $60 million contract to a Mark Sanchez.

That's a good point. I wonder if the Broncos made a point of getting him out of the AFC- although it's not like the Jets are in the AFC West.

How about living with what you have and go after one of the better QB's in the 2010 draft? Was that not a option also.

Absolutely it was an option. Jeff Garcia was available. Once the Cassel trade went down, the Jets could have explored Tyler Thigpen a little more. They have a guy on roster that I think has some promise Brett Ratliff. Scott McCloughan has been such a moron over Alex Smith all this time that I wonder if you couldn't pry Shaun Hill off their hands for a good price.

How about living with what you have and go after one of the better QB's in the 2010 draft? Was that not a option also.

Well history is not always kind to waiting until next year. Its a crap shoot regardless and obviously they like Sanchez alot. Its not like other teams did not like Sanchez. We have drafted three qb's in a row in the second round and we cannot be certain that any will be our qb. Sanchez is a good pick any year. Saying that he would not go 5 in another draft is pretty immaterial.
Ronnie Brown would likely have not went number 2 in most drafts, Ted Ginn might not have been picked in the first round in last year;s draft, argue if you like but Desean Jackson was every bit as good a prospect, in my opinion better. So many people on this board thought Atlanta was on crack to take Matt Ryan so who knows.

Well history is not always kind to waiting until next year. Its a crap shoot regardless and obviously they like Sanchez alot. Its not like other teams did not like Sanchez. We have drafted three qb's in a row in the second round and we cannot be certain that any will be our qb. Sanchez is a good pick any year. Saying that he would not go 5 in another draft is pretty immaterial.
Ronnie Brown would likely have not went number 2 in most drafts, Ted Ginn might not have been picked in the first round in last year;s draft, argue if you like but Desean Jackson was every bit as good a prospect, in my opinion better. So many people on this board thought Atlanta was on crack to take Matt Ryan so who knows.

I see your point. As they say, perfection is the enemy of good. No sure thing that they could have been in a position to take a top QB next year. And the deal with the Browns to move to #5 was sweet. So they rolled the bones and went with Sanchez- in my mind the biggest risk is getting tied to a fat contract if he doesn't work out. Same thing happent to the Cardinals with Leinart, it's all a crap shoot. I can't fault the Jets for making the move.

I see your point. As they say, perfection is the enemy of good. No sure thing that they could have been in a position to take a top QB next year. And the deal with the Browns to move to #5 was sweet. So they rolled the bones and went with Sanchez- in my mind the biggest risk is getting tied to a fat contract if he doesn't work out. Same thing happent to the Cardinals with Leinart, it's all a crap shoot. I can't fault the Jets for making the move.

I mean they could go patchwork like we always did or make a bold move and get a good qb prospect. We passed on Brees because supposedly he could not help us fast enough in the draft and how many years before we found a qb and it was not even in the draft but the scrap heap. High draft pick qb;s bust more than gms would like but the odds are better taking a high ranked prospect than waiting later in the draft.

I don't think Mark Sanchez is a first round pick in any given year. In last year's draft, he would have rated below Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and Chad Henne.

You are being silly now, maybe those other 2 would have been rated higher but he's a 1st rounder(a top half of the 1st round) in any draft.

One question CK....Out of these players....where do you rate Sanchez?

Sanchez, Leinart and Palmer.

1. Palmer
2. Sanchez
3. leinart

I still think Leinart will have a good career.

This all assumes thet the 2009 NFL Draft was the *only* way the Jets could have gotten a Quarterback. I happen to disagree. I think that the Jets should have just ponied up for Jay Cutler.

If the Jets had the ability to acquire the #5 overall pick, they could have traded that, and a future pick (not even the 2010 1st rounder) for Jay Cutler.

I'd do that all day before reaching up and giving a $60 million contract to a Mark Sanchez.

I'd rather have Sanchez. I don't like the intangibles of Cutler and I'm not sure his skin would have been thick enough around here not to mention he's nothing but a fantasy QB so far though I think he has potential to be a big time QB.

That's a good point. I wonder if the Broncos made a point of getting him out of the AFC- although it's not like the Jets are in the AFC West.

Denver definitely wanted him out of the AFC.

True....but gambling on a one year wonder isn't sound either. Actually we can be certain that at least one will be the Dolphins QB of the future...and perhaps both will pay dividends.

I'm not going to enter the conversation concerning Brown or Ginn...and where they were picked...my stomach just can't take that much acid.

True....but gambling on a one year wonder isn't sound either. Actually we can be certain that at least one will be the Dolphins QB of the future...and perhaps both will pay dividends.

I'm not going to enter the conversation concerning Brown or Ginn...and where they were picked...my stomach just can't take that much acid.

I think Henne will be a good qb but we have no certainity that either qb will pay dividends, no more than the Jets have. Gambling on a so called one year wonder is no more of a gamble than gambling on a division 2 qb that had to transfer from Pittsburgh.

You are being silly now, maybe those other 2 would have been rated higher but he's a 1st rounder(a top half of the 1st round) in any draft.

1. Palmer
2. Sanchez
3. leinart

I still think Leinart will have a good career.

Why would Leinart be ranked behind a guy who hasn't played yet?

Why would Leinart be ranked behind a guy who hasn't played yet?

He was asking about them as prospects. I liked Leinart coming out but I liked Sanchez more. I still think Lienart will be good but I think Sanchez will be better.

Jesus, I havent been on the boards in over a week, and I find this long thread.

I should have known that any thread that goes longer then 5 pages usually has NYJUNC involved somehow :). No knock on your NY :)

As to the subject on hand, I will post later after i read all 100 pages :)
Chubbs

Jesus, I havent been on the boards in over a week, and I find this long thread.

I should have known that any thread that goes longer then 5 pages usually has NYJUNC involved somehow :). No knock on your NY :)

As to the subject on hand, I will post later after i read all 100 pages :)
Chubbs

Aren't long threads and good discussions a good thing on a message board?

Back
Top Bottom