Pat White, the deep ball and other options | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pat White, the deep ball and other options

IMO Sanchez left USC bc HE KNEW he wouldn't be a 1st round pick next yr being stacked up against McCoy, Bradford, Snead and Tebow. The only QB competition he had this yr was Stafford.

IMO Sanchez left USC bc HE KNEW he wouldn't be a 1st roud pick next yr being stacked up against McCoy, Bradford, Snead and Tebow

I'm sure more competition at QB factored into his decision, that's a smart move on his part. He clearly would have been a 1st rd pick but maybe not top 5- maybe top 15 and there's a big difference in $. he made the right decision.

You really think 4 qb's would go in rd 1? My point wasnt really his decision, it was more aimed at the Jets decision. Biffing a high 1st rd qb pick sets you back 4 yrs at a minimum. With less than 20 games of film on a guy, the coach and GM both are tied to....a guy that skyrocketed up draft boards after all the games were over. Initially people were asking if he was a rd. 1 Qb....suddenly after a few steak dinners and conversations he's a top 5 pick? If Im a GM and i find out Dan Snyder is chasing a guy, Im staying the hell away from him.

You really think 4 qb's would go in rd 1? My point wasnt really his decision, it was more aimed at the Jets decision. Biffing a high 1st rd qb pick sets you back 4 yrs at a minimum. With less than 20 games of film on a guy, the coach and GM both are tied to....a guy that skyrocketed up draft boards after all the games were over. Initially people were asking if he was a rd. 1 Qb....suddenly after a few steak dinners and conversations he's a top 5 pick? If Im a GM and i find out Dan Snyder is chasing a guy, Im staying the hell away from him.

You act like 4 QBs have never gone in the 1st round before. If good enough they'd get picked high, I'm not sure where Sanchez fits in w/ those others. I love Tebow and think he can eventually be a good NFL QB but I'm not sure he is as highly thought of by GMs and the only other guy I think may be better is Bradford.

The skins have actually drafted pretty well, their problem has been gettihng rid of so many draft picks.

He was always considered a 1st rd QB. Most projections had him in the low to mid teens before he kept climbing.

It always boogles my mind when these kids go from 3rd/4th round material to first rounders and like in Sanchez's case all the way to top ten with really only interviews and some controlled workouts.

I hope he as much success as their last first round pick, lol!

It always boogles my mind when these kids go from 3rd/4th round material to first rounders and like in Sanchez's case all the way to top ten with really only interviews and some controlled workouts.

I hope he as much success as their last first round pick, lol!

When was Sanchez ever considered a 3rd/4th rd pick?

Maybe heading into the season but after the season I think most people said if he came out he would be a first or second rounder because of the weak QB class.

In Markie Mark's defense, no matter what the extenuating circumstances were, he goes down as a top 5 pick QB with all the expectations that entails. Neither the QB class's slim pickings nor the fact that the only teams willing to reach that far were run by Dan Snider and the guy who released Pennington and signed Favre don't matter. Whether a huge reach or a good long shot gamble, either way, a year of anecdotal evidence at this point is too inconclusive in determining whether he turns out to be a smelly fish taco or a burrito supreme

2mcajqp-1.jpg

When was Sanchez ever considered a 3rd/4th rd pick?

I never said Sanchez was a 3rd/4th round prospect, I'm talking of any prospect. Sanchez was a boarder line 1st rounder to second round prospect after the season that jump all the way to the top 5 doing interviews and workouts in shorts. Even JF somehow became a mid first round pick with what he did in shorts.

Joe Flacco last year was talked about going in the 3rd round and maybe the second and then out of nowhere he's a 1st round pick. He proved Baltimore correct but it's still early, let's see how he handles life without DMason catching clutch balls from him.

I never said Sanchez was a 3rd/4th round prospect, I'm talking of any prospect. Sanchez was a boarder line 1st rounder to second round prospect after the season that jump all the way to the top 5 doing interviews and workouts in shorts. Even JF somehow became a mid first round pick with what he did in shorts.

Joe Flacco last year was talked about going in the 3rd round and maybe the second and then out of nowhere he's a 1st round pick. He proved Baltimore correct but it's still early, let's see how he handles life without DMason catching clutch balls from him.

Boy did I get Flacco wrong. He was WAY better than I expected, I wasn't impressed at all from the little that I saw of him before the draft. Not much to see from a guy at Delaware I guess. Sanchez- I thought at least a 2nd rd pick, maybe low to mid 1st. I didn't see top 5 in his future. Stafford didn't get much love on this board, but I think that he has a chance to be special, especially with Calvin Johnson in Detroit. Speaking of Detroit, Louis Delmas will probably do well, but I wonder if they would have been better off with Ebben Britton.

I tend not to adhere to the "rising/falling" accusations because the media's evaluation of draft picks takes time and when you say someone is "rising" immediately I have to be like, from where? How do you know the guy was rated a 2nd round pick and is now rated a 1st round pick? What are you basing that on? Secondly, the more you find out about a guy and the more you find out about a draft class, it's only natural that some guys rise and some guys fall. The whole premise of the "rising/falling based on interviews/workouts" accusation is that the EARLY evaluation of the board, with completely inferior information at hand, is the MOST accurate evaluation. To me this is a silly premise.

To me Mark Sanchez went as high as he went because of a combination of the following factors:

1. Weak QB class
2. League is all about the QB, split between haves and have-nots
3. QBs hailing from Pro Style offenses increasingly rare (80% of college is non-Pro now)
4. Teams are in better salary cap shape than ever
5. The "new" trade value chart has caught on and teams are asking less for top 5 picks than ever

Normally a QB you take that high in the draft has about a 50% chance of panning out. With the need for a QB being so strong, and with teams being in better salary cap shape than ever, NFL teams can afford to take a QB with only a 25 or 30% chance of panning out way up at the top of the draft, simply because the reward for nailing it is so great.

I tend not to adhere to the "rising/falling" accusations because the media's evaluation of draft picks takes time and when you say someone is "rising" immediately I have to be like, from where? How do you know the guy was rated a 2nd round pick and is now rated a 1st round pick? What are you basing that on? Secondly, the more you find out about a guy and the more you find out about a draft class, it's only natural that some guys rise and some guys fall. The whole premise of the "rising/falling based on interviews/workouts" accusation is that the EARLY evaluation of the board, with completely inferior information at hand, is the MOST accurate evaluation. To me this is a silly premise.

To me Mark Sanchez went as high as he went because of a combination of the following factors:

1. Weak QB class
2. League is all about the QB, split between haves and have-nots
3. QBs hailing from Pro Style offenses increasingly rare (80% of college is non-Pro now)
4. Teams are in better salary cap shape than ever
5. The "new" trade value chart has caught on and teams are asking less for top 5 picks than ever

Normally a QB you take that high in the draft has about a 50% chance of panning out. With the need for a QB being so strong, and with teams being in better salary cap shape than ever, NFL teams can afford to take a QB with only a 25 or 30% chance of panning out way up at the top of the draft, simply because the reward for nailing it is so great.

The rise/fall premise is inherently flawed because it's based on draft "experts" and websites and how they rate players as opposed to the actual scouts and teams. But the scouts and teams aren't talking, so the available information is scarce and limited. Every year we see highly rated players (Duke Robinson, Jamon Meredith) slide hard and players like Brian Hartline come out of nowhere. It's just how it is.

The trade value chart- inherently flawed as well imo. If there is a STUD player in the top 3, 5, whatever- they deserve a hefty premium. But there's no guarantee that the player in question deserves compensation based upon an objective chart. Add on the complication of potential hefty, oversized contracts for certain highly drafted players and the trade value chart looks skewed even worse. The chart is a guide, not a bible- it should be treated as such.

Personally I think Sanchez was a first round pick any year. Not saying Im enamoured with him but he obviously has first round talent. People act like the Jets traded up to take Pat White fifth overall.

Back
Top Bottom